No announcement yet.

Dan Uggla 2010: Internal Talks Underway to Keep Uggla for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but Gene Tenace was a catcher which is completely different when talking about the power a player has

also, Gene Tenace played in a different era. His slugging was well above league average most years.

That's Gene Tenace

That's Dan Uggla

Tenace in his age 28 and 29 seasons (75 and 76) was farther above average than Uggla was.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Unless Uggla is Gene Tenace (and I don't know if I've seen them in the same place so this bears further investigation) it doesn't really matter what Tenace did.

Uggla should age well. He takes care of his body, conditioning has never been an issue and power and a good eye translate much better to age 35 than do high average, speed and low K totals.

Additionally, Uggla's exceptional durability has me comfortable saying that, more likely than not, he'll get to 34/35 and you'll see the kind of player he will be for his twilight years; there won't be a precipitous decline like we've seen in sluggers with hip/back/shoulder issues.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
        but Gene Tenace was a catcher which is completely different when talking about the power a player has
        How so?

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          Gene Tenace was also a catcher which is a completely different when talking about the durability of a player.
          i was just being playful in regards to that ^
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

On defense:

Dan has been neutral defensively, which is a step in the right direction following last year. Nothing much to note, as he's no more than +/-3 in any category. He's a steady, average defender, nothing more, and (when things break right), nothing less.

He does rate as -2 on double plays, which combines with Hanley to give us a below average GIDP rate by our MI.
            poop

Comment

Internal talks underway to keep Uggla

Can the Marlins afford Dan Uggla?

Perhaps the bigger question is can they afford not to sign their power-hitting second baseman?

Mentioned in trade rumors for more than a year, Uggla remains a core player on the Marlins. The organization knows what it has in the gritty 30-year-old. They also are not in any rush to move him.

While teams covet Uggla, the Marlins are not likely to trade him before the end of the season.

In fact, the front office already is talking internally about signing him to a multi-year contract this fall. They have yet to approach Uggla or his agent, Jeff Borris, about a long-term deal. But those conversations are underway.

The Marlins have tested the trade market on a number of players, including Uggla. What teams have offered in return for one of the top slugging second baseman in the game has not been worth making a move.

The Marlins could see themselves having Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson and Uggla signed to multi-year contracts when they head into their new ballpark in 2012.

For a team like the Marlins, who are overly cautious when signing multi-year contracts, they want to make as safe an investment as possible.

An argument can be made that since his rookie season in 2006, no other Marlin has been more consistent than Uggla. Once again he is on pace for 30 homers and 90 RBIs. Later this season, he will become the team's all-time home run leader. He has 137, which is third highest. Mike Lowell holds the mark with 143.

Uggla is making $7.8 million this season, and his salary figure will jump again in 2011, his final season of arbitration. If the Marlins consider say, a three-year contract, they might be able to work something out in the $27 million range. That would average $9 million a season.

Now, if Uggla's demands are well over $10 million a season, something likely won't get done. But if there is willingness from both sides, something can be worked out.

It would seem in the best interest of both parties to make that happen. If Uggla is traded or signs as a free agent after 2011, he may have a limited market to play second base. Several clubs that have coveted him in the past -- Rockies, Giants, Red Sox -- all talked about moving him to third base, first base or left field.

From the Marlins standpoint, rewarding the two-time All-Star would show a sign of loyalty. Consider the bargain he was before he reached arbitration in 2009. From 2006-08, Uggla collected 90 homers and he drove in 270 runs. Over that span, Florida paid him $1.136 million.

By giving Uggla a minimum three-years means he and Ramirez would solidify the middle infield for the foreseeable future, as well as keep a power bat in the middle of the order.

-- Joe Frisaro
              http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...ay_to_kee.html

Comment

I highly highly doubt he signs for anything near 3/27. He's taking a lot less money over those years AND delaying his free agency until he's 33 years old.

Comment

Well the question is does he believe he'll get 9-10 mill on the free agent as a 32 year old with not much defense.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

It's Frisario. His contract estimates aren't even worth considering.

That said, I don't think Uggla goes for 3 years and the 9-10 million range, because he can wait a year, at least get that much in arbitration, and then hit the free agent market after the 2011 season and get at least as much, if not more. If they want him for a salary in that 9-10 mil range, they'll probably need to go for 4 years - and even then, he may not go for it. Or they can give him more money per year but get him for 3 years.

It's encouraging they're thinking of keeping him though. I'm sure it's partially (and probably mostly) related to the MLB/MLBPA revenue sharing bullshit that went down last offseason, but whatever the reason, it's going to help them win.

Comment

What a dramatic turn of events.

Comment

• Cody Ross and Jorge Cantu are available from the Marlins. But one GM said it doesn't appear that Dan Uggla is available yet.
                        Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0uMINjEuL

Looks like he is seriously staying
                        Last edited by LocoMarlinFan; 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Before Monday’s late game against the Giants at AT&T Park, President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said he anticipated exploring multi-year agreements with “more than one” of his current players. A National League source who’s spoken with the Marlins said they hope to sign Uggla and Nolasco long-term this offseason.

“If it’s true, it feels good,” Uggla said. “I think everybody knows that I’d love to stay here in South Florida. It’s become my second home and I love the people down there. I love everything it has to offer. It would make me a very happy man.

“There are a few different variables with the union cracking down on them for the increase in payroll and with the new stadium coming up after next year. It could be a very exciting time.”
                          Dan Uggla would be “very happy man” if multi-year offer forthcoming

Comment

Heading into his final season of arbitration, Dan Uggla has switched agents. The second baseman left Jeff Borris and the Beverly Hills Sports Council and joined Terry Bross at Gaylord Sports Management, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Uggla makes $7.8MM this season and will earn more than that in 2011 before becoming eligible for free agency. The Marlins may not let him hit free agency, however. President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel that the team has interest in locking up some players to long term deals. Uggla, who just reached the 20-homer plateau for the fifth consecutive season, is a prime candidate for an extension.
                            http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...om-July-070110

Comment

Dan Uggla passes Mike Lowell on the Marlins all time home run list (144).

Comment

Happy for him. Hope the extension happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X