No announcement yet.

Baseball Prospectus NL East Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think there's any misconception about the type of player he is. He is who he is. I don't think he's going to not get a big payday because of some false image of him as "lucky" or "injury prone". He's going to get a decent pay day, because he can mash the hell out of the ball at times, but he's going to not get a huge payday because he's inconsistent (.689 OPS from August 1 on last year, .559 OPS in April), he can't play a full season, he's a liability in the field, and he's 31.

There's really not any reason for anyone to give him more than say, 3 years, 21 million. He's a nice player, and the Marlins fucked with him by not letting him be an everyday player until he was too old to really have a full career and that sucks, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have his flaws. It has nothing to do with a general misconception about him and everything to do with his very real flaws as a long term product.
    poop

Comment

I think he gets paid. "Supposedly" there was a lot of interest in teams trading for him.

If he gets cheap, I'd think he plays for the Rays. Not putting much thought into it, but I believe the vast-majority of stat-oriented teams are already stacked on the corners. Both Pena and Burrell won't be there next year, so he'd have 1b or DH gig.
      --------------------
      For the record, since bob posted while i was typing, by being "paid" I'm thinking like 2-3 years around 7-10 mil yeah. Assuming he stays the course this season obviously
      Last edited by nny; 03-04-2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

He was a top 20-35 outfielder in baseball last year, if you make the minimum PAs 500. That's great, but it's not elite. 7-10 mil a year sounds about right for 3, and he probably doesn't earn the entire contract. I don't think he's going to age well. I'm glad he's getting one big pay day, but I don't think he "deserves" more than he's likely to get. He's going to be pretty properly valued.
        poop

Comment

He's gonna OPS .912 this year and prob be top 25 in the MVP voting

Comment

I'll take the under on that for a hundge

2 poor months will keep him in the .890 range

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I don't think there's any misconception about the type of player he is. He is who he is. I don't think he's going to not get a big payday because of some false image of him as "lucky" or "injury prone". He's going to get a decent pay day, because he can mash the hell out of the ball at times, but he's going to not get a huge payday because he's inconsistent (.689 OPS from August 1 on last year, .559 OPS in April), he can't play a full season, he's a liability in the field, and he's 31.

There's really not any reason for anyone to give him more than say, 3 years, 21 million. He's a nice player, and the Marlins fucked with him by not letting him be an everyday player until he was too old to really have a full career and that sucks, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have his flaws. It has nothing to do with a general misconception about him and everything to do with his very real flaws as a long term product.
              Willingham is very Ryan Ludwickish. At least I consider their talent and career paths to be a relatively good reflection of eachother.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
              X