X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Prospectus NL East Preview

Florida Marlins

Projected record: 81-81

Why They Might Win: Because this is still a young team with plenty of players still on the upward trajectory of their career—and let's face it, the Marlins are pretty much always better than anybody thinks they will be.

Why They Might Not Win: They don't have a first baseman, unless prospect Logan Morrison can make a big move this spring, while Jorge Cantu and Emilio Bonifacio provide nearly equal weakness at the other corner. The potential roster is loaded with young arms that have yet to live up to their potential.

Player Who Could Surprise: Our new pitching metric, SIERA (Skill Interactive ERA), identifies righty Ricky Nolasco as one of the top sleepers in the game this season. On a purely elemental basis, he was much better than last year's 5.06 ERA, and PECOTA believes he'll be nearly as good as Marlins ace Josh Johnson in 2010.

Player Who Could Disappoint: PECOTA projects a major regression for 2009 NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan, with a batting line of .284/.369/.430—making him an average-at-best left fielder.
    That's some silliness Re: Cantu being nearly equal to Bonifacio at third. Even they project an .820 OPS from Cantu, so he should be, at worst just a below average third baseman given his defense.

I agree a lot with what they say about Coghlan and Nolasco, though I expect Coghlan to be a little bit better than that.

I think Gaby is probably going to be among the worst everyday 1B in baseball, but I could see him do what Jorge Cantu did last season as a full time player. That shouldn't kill us, depending on what everyone else does.
    poop

Thanks for posting that.

The DWP (Daft Win Predictor) has us landing on 86-76 so I approve of their message.

Comment

91-71
      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

I see us around the 81-85 win range. We didnt improve over the offseason and every other team in the division got better.
        I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
          Thanks for posting that.

The DWP (Daft Win Predictor) has us landing on 86-76 so I approve of their message.
          DWP is on the Fritz.
          Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
            DWP is on the Fritz.

What does the LSWTM (Lefty Season Win Total Model) say?

Comment

The Swifter Dooms Day Computer is the only prediction I look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
                What does the LSWTM (Lefty Season Win Total Model) say?
                Moderately choppy, with strong win gusts
                Record when He pitches: 3-2

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
                  The Swifter Dooms Day Computer is the only prediction I look forward to.
                  Holding strong at 4 right now.

Comment

Stanton and Morrison the only Marlins prospects to crack BP's top 101 prospects list.

Nats have 4. Mets have 4. Braves have 4. Phillie's have 2.

Boo!

Stanton 5, Morrison 51.
                    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM.
                    poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      Stanton and Morrison the only Marlins prospects to crack BP's top 101 prospects list.

Nats have 4. Mets have 4. Braves have 4. Phillie's have 2.

Boo!

Stanton 5, Morrison 51.
                      Yea but Maybin, West, and Coghlan graduated last year, and Volstad the year before. Dominguez is right there no matter what anyone says. Not to mention Miller, Anibal, RVH, Tucker, Ceda, and a bunch of other arms are still pretty legit and projectionable. Someone is going to work out.

Screw their rankings. We have a better longterm core than any of those suckers. And if the A-Ball pitching works out, freaking scary.

Comment

Atlanta has the two best pieces as far as young players (if you don't count Hanley), though.

Heyward + Hanson is insane.

I'm in love with Jason Heyward, by the way. I hate that he's going to be a Brave for the next decade. It sucks.
                        poop

Comment

Thing is, Atlanta is asking those two to be their "core" since their team is by and large on the back 9 of their careers.

We've already got our "core" in Hanley and JJ with periphery guys like Coghlan and Nolasco. We're just asking Stanton/Morrison/Maybin/Dominguez/James to come in and make our team absolutely retarded, not make our team like Atlanta is asking their duo. If Chipper were 10 years younger, yeah, get the fuck out of their way, but he's not.

Thus, I still think the scariest team going forward is Washington. They've got the most terrifying combination of established talent, super prospects and a demonstrated willingness to jump into free agency if a match surfaces. Like, come on, tell me that if our franchises switched owners that we wouldn't be burning up the phone lines with Smoltz or Washburn right now.
                          Last edited by Swifty; 03-04-2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Crazy that in 2 years the poorest team in the division will be able to spend $90 million.

Comment

All the nationals have is Zimmerman and Strausberg and the chance to spend the same 100 million the Braves, Phillies, and Mets spend.

Comment

Working...
                              X