No announcement yet.

Dan Uggla: What a Trade Could Have Meant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't think like that, the goal is to win World Series' and without Urbina we don't win that World Series', heck we don't make the playoffs. That's really all that matters. That trade happened 6 years ago. There's no way Gonzalez would still be around anyway.

Teams that are constantly looking past the season at hand are the teams that are constantly losing. It's fine to look ahead, but the future should never get in the way of the present.

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      It means u think small market teams play 1 season at a time?

The last time we played 1 season at a time we traded a Adrian Gonzalez for Urbina. Ya great move at the time and we won the WS but imagine if we kept Adrian Gonzalez. We could have called Toronto and offered a Morrison or Stanton package for Halladay and no one would have said a word because Gonzalez would be locked in at 1B.

All I am saying is until we get a stadium and signing guys Long Term we need to look future more than 1 season at a time.
      Yeah; if we would have kept Gonzalez, we probably wouldn't have won the WS in 2003. If you make a trade that helps you win a WS, REGARDLESS of who you traded, it was a great move. Just because we're a small market team doesn't mean we can't play one season at a time. We have a GREAT opportunity to make the playoffs and make some noise in them to boot this year; if that's the case, then WHY in the world would we look to 2010?

Comment

so what happens when we fail because we aren't that good of a team but then we also ruin our chances to win later?

you strike while the iron is hot

Comment

nny, can you do one of your stats thingies on Urbina and his WAR or whatever his added value was over our average reliever at the time?

We hear quite a bit that we wouldn't have won WS without Urbina, I'd just like to see that quantified a little bit if possible.

Comment

no.

Comment

Very well.
              --------------------
              Is My Chemical Romance rehearsing for the new tour?
              Last edited by Metes; 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

yes.

Comment

Oh. Rock on.

Comment

Thanks.
                    --------------------
                    I picture you avatar saying it to me
                    Last edited by nny; 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Ya great move at the time and we won the WS but imagine if we kept Adrian Gonzalez.
                      I imagined it, and it ended with no World Series in any year. I'm not sure you entirely understand the point of playing baseball.

Originally posted by nny View Post
                      so what happens when we fail because we aren't that good of a team but then we also ruin our chances to win later?

you strike while the iron is hot
                      I can't fault the FO for making a move to try and win. If it's a crappy move, that's a different story. But to quote the immortal Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game!"
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

Yeah, the appearance of producing is better than actual production.

Comment

This thread is on the member list right now for some reason...

Tim Alderson sucks. God, imagine if we traded Uggla for him.

Comment

U NO it?

Comment

Working...
                            X