X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistical Analysis: Some Bill James Projections

Stats guru Bill James predicts big year for Florida Marlins’ Gaby Sanchez

by Joe Capozzi

The Marlins have been waiting for first baseman Gaby Sanchez to blossom. Noted stats guru Bill James predicts that could finally happen in 2010.

Of course, Sanchez might not be with the Marlins next year. He could be dangled as trade bait this winter if the team decides to give Logan Morrison a crack at the first base job in spring training.

Sanchez, who started the year at Class AAA New Orleans after losing the first-base job in spring training, hit .238 with two homers and three RBI in 21 games (and 21 at-bats) for the Marlins this season. James, in his 2010 handbook, projects that Sanchez will get 362 at-bats next year and hit 15 home runs, 59 RBI and bat .279 with an .821 OPS.

“In any season, the vast majority of players play in a manner that seems a natural extension of what they had done before,” James says in his new book. “When that happens, our projection should be reasonably accurate.”

Although he’s been in the projection business for almost twenty years, one thing James has no control over is playing time. “It is always my argument that we have no chance of figuring out, in October 2009, who will get playing time in 2010,” James says. “But what we should do is try to answer this question: If this player plays, how will he play?”

James, in his press release, also projects seasons for other Marlins players. His predictions are for solid years but not the kinds of numbers the players put up in 2009.

2009 batting king Hanley Ramirez will follow up his .342 average by batting .315 (.926 OPS) with 27 homers, 86 RBI and 31 stolen bases. Chris Coghlan will hit .310 (.840 OPS), with 10 homers and 66 RBI. Dan Uggla will hit .252 (.815 OPS) with 30 homers and 90 RBI. Cody Ross will hit .269 (801 OPS) with 23 homers and 80 RBI.

(Don’t count on Uggla being back but there’s a good chance the other three will.)

Josh Johnson, who won 15 games in 2009, will go 14-9 with a 3.63 ERA, striking out 181 over 206 innings. Ricky Nolasco will go 13-10 with a 3.86 ERA, striking out 189 over 205 innings. Matt Lindstrom will save 26 games, going 3-3 with a 4.76 ERA, striking out 44 in 51 innings.

Any thoughts out there?
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marli...-gaby-sanchez/

The only prediction in terms of hitters that I think is very inaccurate is Hanley's. Only 86 RBI? lol...

And a 3.63 ERA for Johnson? No...f'ing...way.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
      The only prediction in terms of hitters that I think is very inaccurate is Hanley's. Only 86 RBI? lol...

And a 3.63 ERA for Johnson? No...f'ing...way.
      That doesn't seem terrible.

Though James has always admitted a low level of confidence in his pitching predictions.

I think the Gaby Sanchez is more than possible, and I don't have a problem with any of the others. Hanley's is basically expecting his BA to normalize while everything else stays essentially the same. That seems pretty realistic.
      poop

Comment

Bill James's projections mean shit.

He also had gaby for a, what was it, 900 OPS last year?

Comment

.860, or something.

This year's line is more in line with most projection system's of him, though.
          poop

Comment

Everybodys projections mean shit

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
              Everybodys projections mean shit
              Also this.
              poop

Comment

some have better correlation than others

his do not correlate well when compared to others.

Comment

That is true. But to say one guy's prediction is shit is kind of untrue because none of them get it right every time. Sometimes he's too high, sometimes he's too low.

I wish we could see the projections from last season that JJ had posted on the old board. What a douche. I'd bet on the agregate he's probably not much further off than most projections. To say he's "shit" is silly.
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by nny View Post
                  his do not correlate well when compared to others.
                  Source?
                  Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  poop

Comment

“In any season, the vast majority of players play in a manner that seems a natural extension of what they had done before,” James says in his new book. “When that happens, our projection should be reasonably accurate.”

That's pretty simple and would tend to lead to not really going out on too many limbs. Seems fair enough. Nothing groundbreaking.

Nobody knows the future, I think.

Comment

I dislike projections unless those projections are of people projecting the MVP (both leagues) to Josh Willingham

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                        He left off a zero on the end.
                        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                          He left off a zero on the end.
                          Agreed. Whole numbers are not very statistic-y.

86.0 RBI

Comment

I hate projections/predictions

since no one can see the future there is no reason to vest any thought in them. There is a 50/50 chance (well i guess its different for stat totals) for every prediction to be right or wrong.
                            STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

That's true. It's probably best not to even discuss anything related to the future, because you can't determine with 100% accuracy what's going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X