No announcement yet.

2018 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gah is this looking like an ugly draft. A lot of older players focusing on RP, Outfielders, and HS Catchers. So far only one LHP. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. SMH.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins93 View Post
      Gah is this looking like an ugly draft. A lot of older players focusing on RP, Outfielders, and HS Catchers. So far only one LHP. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this. SMH.
      It is a normal Stan Meek draft. Alot more RP than normal and they need C badly in system. The rookie ball teams(BATS wise) were already full before the draft and there are already at least 7 LHP in Rookie Ball ready to go. Surprised they haven't taken more but they have a few.
      Last edited by tjfla; 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• I though Denbo was supposed to be running the draft.

Comment

I though Denbo was supposed to be running the draft.
          No confirmation but from looks of it he ran Day 1 and 2. Day 3 has Stan Meek's fingerprints all over it.

For 100th time,they were kinda stuck at what they can do. Before the draft even started Batavia's roster was full beside some pitching and GCL was full besides some bats. Greensboro could use some RP and C help

Batavia Roster
          C-Barnes/Osborne/Fortes
          1B-Reynolds/Encarnacion(OF)
          2B-Karas/Nunez
          SS-Torres/Sims(UT)
          3B-Hollins
          LF-Donadio/White/Brooks
          CF-Hernandez/Pompey
          RF-Cespedes

SP-Guerrero/Guiterrez/Parsons/Vallimont/Walters/Andrews
          RP-Craigie/Domnarski/Peace/McKay/Sherrod/Culbertson/Obed Diaz/Blake Anderson/Ovalle/Javier Garcia/De Los Santos

GCL Roster
          C-Banfield/Mercado/Barstad/Fish
          1B-Lebron/Arcaya
          2B-Espinal/College Guy
          SS-Johnson/Reynoso
          3B-Rodriguez
          LF-Caballero/Paulino
          CF-Scott/Bradshaw
          RF-Guaimaro/Grant

SP-Bennett/Some College Guys/Rehab Guys
          RP-Alcala/Cyphert/Estes/Frias/Suriel/Villalobos/College Guys
          Last edited by tjfla; 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• They still could have taken a higher flier on a HS arm or two and perhaps re-drafted Holton or other injured player and give him a year to rehab. With the way everyone has went on about how Denbo is running the show I would have like to have seen some sort of change but it seems like the same old same old Marlins type draft. The one exception would be the multiple HS catchers.

Comment

They still could have taken a higher flier on a HS arm or two and perhaps re-drafted Holton or other injured player and give him a year to rehab. With the way everyone has went on about how Denbo is running the show I would have like to have seen some sort of change but it seems like the same old same old Marlins type draft. The one exception would be the multiple HS catchers.
              Its way too early for reaction to the draft. Just got to let it play out, but i like us actually seemingly going full on trying to restock the hitters in the system. Could just be a coincidence, but it looks like they went hard on hitters early which i was hoping for. To me it seems like they drafted knowing that they have a large contingent of SP prospects that have shown promise thus far this year throughout every level between Gallen, Alcantara, and Richards and Peters at Nola, Neidert and Lopez at Jax, Guzman and Yamamoto and recently Puckett at Jupiter, and Puckett, Lillie, and Rogers in Greensboro. If thats what the plan was from a planning perspective i like it, but it could also just be complete chance and just the way it fell. It will also be way too early to judge anyways for a very long time.

Comment

• I don't know that they went after hitters so much as they did athletes. In fact I heard them mention that they wanted to add athletes several times. I am just saying I was surprised that they went with so many older players in the draft and so many relief pitchers. I am not saying they needed to get a bunch of young high school arms but they in my opinion based on their recent history they should not have waited until the 30th round to attempt to draft one. It almost seemed like they were trying to draft to save money. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did. I kept expecting to see them draft a hard to sign player with the potential savings. Other then Banfield and maybe Pompey I don't see where they had players they would need to go way over slot to sign. I know its early that is just my initial reaction to it now that it is over.

Comment

• It's always funny how much of a crap shoot the MLB Draft is, but also how important it is to building championship teams nowadays.

I don't really know much about any of the new draft picks. We'll see how it goes. I do think the key to building eventually will be putting some of the draft cap money into getting guys in the Comp Rounds, 2nd-5th round who fell because of either considerations to go to college or money demands. There seems to be a few of these guys every year and they've hit enough in recent years that this should be a range for the team to focus on. I remember McCullers off the top of my head being one of these spots. Daz Cameron also. I know there are a bunch more that if I looked into it could be named.

I do think it's obvious the Marlins made some improvements in drafting this past year. Still, they REALLY need to hit on that one big, Top 10 MLB Prospect soon. They haven't had one since Yelich was in the farm.

Comment

• I know we should know soon but I am almost afraid to see what they ended up giving Scott.

Comment

They still could have taken a higher flier on a HS arm or two and perhaps re-drafted Holton or other injured player and give him a year to rehab. With the way everyone has went on about how Denbo is running the show I would have like to have seen some sort of change but it seems like the same old same old Marlins type draft. The one exception would be the multiple HS catchers.
                      Holton was taken in the 10th Rd and will be out till next June/July. I actually like the 2 older arms they took in 9th/10th Rds. We actually did take an "injured" guy. Sam Bordner has Top 5 Rd talent and was All American Closer at Louisville

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Holt...484727021.html

Denbo said Denbo/Greenlee/Stan Meek did the draft together and from the looks of it Denbo and Greenleee did 1-10 and Meek did 11-40

Comment

• How many closers did we draft?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                          How many closers did we draft?
                          Like 10-12 College RP/Closers. No clue what we will use them as

Comment

• Now we know the reason we saved some cash(Drafted College Seniors) and didn't draft any hard sign guys after R10. Hard to draft guys who want slot and tough signs when already 1 million OVER and need the space

Paid Banfield about 1 mil OVER slot. Can save about 500K or so on Fortes,Sherrod,Walters and Andrews but still need to find another 400K or so. Assume some cash on Johnson and Vallimont?

Already signed Scott,Fortes,Barstad,Fish
                            Last edited by tjfla; 06-10-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Marlins draft

As last week’s amateur draft was unfolding, one rival scout remembered thinking to himself as the Marlins were making their picks: “Holy (expletive). The Marlins are a player now.”

“It was their best draft in 10 years,” said the scout, who asked not to be identified

The scout noticed that the Marlins’ drafting philosophy had changed from what had been a conservative approach of taking “safe” players with lower ceilings to selecting more athletic players with higher potential upsides.

The reason: new Marlins vice president of player development Gary Denbo wielded greater influence in the drafting process than did long-time vice president of scouting Stan Meek, whose role has diminished.

One obvious beyond the types of players the Marlins drafted: while Meek was made available to reporters to discuss the draft beforehand, it was Denbo who spoke to them afterward to summarize the team’s selections.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ml...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Not sure I agree with the statement that they've been taking "safe" players in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                X