2013 Draft General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lou View Post
    My interest will move from a 2/10 to a 1/10.
    I like this line.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
      This seems like an easy draft. Appel, Gray, Bryant, Moran, Shipley, DJ Petersen. The three top college arms, and three top college bats all are corner infielders which is perfect. Whatever is there. I'd draft them in that order. If they take someone else just to save a few hundred thousand on slot, jesus christ. My interest will move from a 2/10 to a 1/10.
      Might be easy for normal teams but our order looks like this right now

1 Colin Moran(If still there AND willing to take less which he already said NO)
      2 Braden Shipley(Already said will take less)
      3 Reese McGuire(If willing to take less)
      4 DJ Peterson(Already said will take less)
      5 Chris Anderson
      6 Austin Meadows

The reason for all of this saving cash tho seems to be that they wanna spend more in the later rounds. They want to take the BPA like Houston did instead of what other teams had to do last year and take guys that were projected Rd 20-25 in Rd 7-10

Also hearing that Shipley/McGuire/Peterson are willing to take $500,000 or even more under slot from teams 5-10,which is the reason we are considering them

If it was talent wise I would either go for Colin Moran(who can stick at 3B and move quickly) or Austin Meadows(who could be Yelich with power and was mentioned at #1 at start)
      Last edited by tjfla; 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I am so fascinated with this draft. I didn't pay too much attention to the draft in previous years, but this year I look up stuff on it daily.
        --------------------
        Also, form Marlins' closer Bryan Harvey's son, Hunter, is a projected first rounder out of high school in this year's draft.
        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 05-24-2013, 02:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

If those are the guys tjfla is saying the Marlins are considering, I expect them to take someone completely different.
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

I want Peterson. Just because I watched a post-game interview with Moran on youtube and he sounded like a fucking idiot.

Comment

So Moran sounded like a moran?
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                I am so fascinated with this draft. I didn't pay too much attention to the draft in previous years, but this year I look up stuff on it daily.
                --------------------
                Also, form Marlins' closer Bryan Harvey's son, Hunter, is a projected first rounder out of high school in this year's draft.
                Ya should be a fun draft especially with all the picks we have and 4 of the picks will be made on TV. They wanted Hunter Harvey and if he is there at #35 would prolly take him however he has had such a good season he is now talked about going in the 15-20 range.

and yes Fritz,we can't draft talent if Hugg or Beef don't like something about them.

Comment

Yeah Fritz

Comment

yeah
                    poop

Comment

FRITZ

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                        Might be easy for normal teams but our order looks like this right now

1 Colin Moran(If still there AND willing to take less which he already said NO)
                        2 Braden Shipley(Already said will take less)
                        3 Reese McGuire(If willing to take less)
                        4 DJ Peterson(Already said will take less)
                        5 Chris Anderson
                        6 Austin Meadows

The reason for all of this saving cash tho seems to be that they wanna spend more in the later rounds. They want to take the BPA like Houston did instead of what other teams had to do last year and take guys that were projected Rd 20-25 in Rd 7-10

Also hearing that Shipley/McGuire/Peterson are willing to take $500,000 or even more under slot from teams 5-10,which is the reason we are considering them

If it was talent wise I would either go for Colin Moran(who can stick at 3B and move quickly) or Austin Meadows(who could be Yelich with power and was mentioned at #1 at start)
                        If they take Moran it's because he's the BPA, not because he'll sign cheap. He's the best pure hitter in the draft and plays at an organizational need. He's being talked about as a dark horse to be taken 1st and is mentioned as an option with just about every other team that picks before us. I don't see why he'd take less.

I prefer Frazier to Meadows. Frazier has the potential to have big time power. Moran would be my first choice followed by Shipley/Peterson/Frazier in no particular order although I wouldn't be upset with Stewart, McGuire, or Meadows.
                        Last edited by sports24/7; 05-25-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Two new mocks today. Jonathan Mayo of mlb.com and Keith Law of ESPN both have the Marlins taking Braden Shipley. But the real interesting part is Law saying this:

I don't think the Astros will make a formal decision on this pick until Thursday, but the buzz within the industry has Houston leaning toward this scenario: Houston takes Moran, knowing his next-best alternative is to go No. 5 to Cleveland, whose slot value is $3,787,000. By doing this, the Astros could offer him $4 million or so and know he'd accept it.

The value of the No. 1 pick is $7.2 million, which means the Astros would then have sufficient savings to take first-round talents who fell at picks 40 and 74, something they've already shopped around to some prep players who aren't going in the top 33.

They could take Jonathan Gray but won't get as much of a discount if they do. They're not on Kris Bryant or Clint Frazier, and Mark Appel doesn't seem to be one of their top two options.
                          And this:

I can't see Gray falling far, with a floor at No. 6. (No way does Miami scouting director Stan Meek, an Oklahoma native who played at OU, pass on a Sooner as good as Gray.)
                          He has him going 5, but seems to think it's possible he could fall to us at 6. That would be amazing. Of course Mayo has him going #1 overall.

Comment

Gray this year and Rondon next year with Fernandez would be something. Doubt Gray drops though. I like what I've read about Shipley though.
                            "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                            - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

The only issue with us taking Gray at #6 if he is there is we wanna do the same thing as Houston wants to do. We want to take a guy at #6 that is willing to sign far below slot so that we can get the BPA at #35 and #44.

If Gray is there at #6 he is gonna want all or more than 3.5 million. The reason we were high on Moran 3 months ago was because he was projected at 9-15 and we thought that we could get him cheaper to which he said NO.

Houston is trying to do with Moran,what we are gonna try to do which is call Shipley/Peterson and say we will take u at #6 and pay u a little more than u would actually get at #10 or so.
                              --------------------
                              Also was a report earlier in the week that Austin Meadows reps were telling teams that he would be willing to sign for slot if drafted 5-8. We could still look at him if that was true,we like him and have even had worked him out down in Miami. The problem had been tho that he kept telling teams he wanted more than slot-guess with all the mocks having him from #10-13 now he changed his mind
                              Last edited by tjfla; 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                The only issue with us taking Gray at #6 if he is there is we wanna do the same thing as Houston wants to do. We want to take a guy at #6 that is willing to sign far below slot so that we can get the BPA at #35 and #44.

If Gray is there at #6 he is gonna want all or more than 3.5 million. The reason we were high on Moran 3 months ago was because he was projected at 9-15 and we thought that we could get him cheaper to which he said NO.

Houston is trying to do with Moran,what we are gonna try to do which is call Shipley/Peterson and say we will take u at #6 and pay u a little more than u would actually get at #10 or so.
                                --------------------
                                Also was a report earlier in the week that Austin Meadows reps were telling teams that he would be willing to sign for slot if drafted 5-8. We could still look at him if that was true,we like him and have even had worked him out down in Miami. The problem had been tho that he kept telling teams he wanted more than slot-guess with all the mocks having him from #10-13 now he changed his mind
                                Yeah, but you're not going to do that if a talent like Gray gets there. The reason Houston would do it is because they'd still be getting the best pure hitter in the draft in Moran. Peterson is a huge drop off from Moran. I think The below slot option is one that the Marlins are looking at, but I don't think it is 100% what they will do. Supposedly they just brought Meadows in and he blew them away in a workout. If they're interested in him, it probably isn't for below slot.

Getting two good players going below slot at 6 is a good option, but you don't pass on an elite pitching prospect who is going to move quickly for two solid players. Especially with the Oklahoma ties like Law mentioned. These guys love to take players from that state.
                                Last edited by sports24/7; 05-30-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X