2013 Draft General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
    Yeah, but you're not going to do that if a talent like Gray gets there. The reason Houston would do it is because they'd still be getting the best pure hitter in the draft in Moran. Peterson is a huge drop off from Moran. I think The below slot option is one that the Marlins are looking at, but I don't think it is 100% what they will do. Supposedly they just brought Meadows in and he blew them away in a workout. If they're interested in him, it probably isn't for below slot.

Getting two good players going below slot at 6 is a good option, but you don't pass on an elite pitching prospect who is going to move quickly for two solid players. Especially with the Oklahoma ties like Law mentioned. These guys love to take players from that state.
    O I agree-I would be fine with Gray,Meadows,Moran at 3.5 mil. The issue is as of right now all 3 want more than that. If the Meadows report is right then they might move him to the top of the board(like u said and I heard the same thing-just worked him out and love him)

The Gray situation is complex tho because while he is as an elite pitching prospect how much would he want? We saw what happened with Pittsburgh/Appel last year and us with Heaney too. While u do get an extra pick next year if he won't sign,this team can't afford to do that and the way we play hardball its just a bad combo. Now if Gray says 3.5 million and here is there at #6 we would prolly jump on him

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      We want to take a guy at #6 that is willing to sign far below slot so that we can draft other guys who are willing to sign far below slot at #35 and #44.
      I fixed that for you.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Might be easy for normal teams but our order looks like this right now

1 Colin Moran(If still there AND willing to take less which he already said NO)
        2 Braden Shipley(Already said will take less)
        3 Reese McGuire(If willing to take less)
        4 DJ Peterson(Already said will take less)
        5 Chris Anderson
        6 Austin Meadows

The reason for all of this saving cash tho seems to be that they wanna spend more in the later rounds. They want to take the BPA like Houston did instead of what other teams had to do last year and take guys that were projected Rd 20-25 in Rd 7-10

Also hearing that Shipley/McGuire/Peterson are willing to take $500,000 or even more under slot from teams 5-10,which is the reason we are considering them

If it was talent wise I would either go for Colin Moran(who can stick at 3B and move quickly) or Austin Meadows(who could be Yelich with power and was mentioned at #1 at start)
        This is really dumb if based in any reality. I would understand going under slot in round 1 to acquire guys say between picks 30-100 who have fallen a half round because they want to get paid, but if the idea to save money is to improve the 7+ rounders, i.e. guys who are even more unlikely to make it to the bigs, that is dumb. At some point saving money on slot to afford a better guy next doesn't work. If they do something like this in round 1 with pick 6, which should be all about quality, and then don't go big with their next 2-3 picks with real overslot money grabs, that is just idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
          Fml, I haven't seen Moran at all. How did he look when you saw him?

I guess I'd be happy with him since a) he's a college boy and b) I'm gonna have to adopt some UNC loyalty soon
          On ESPN3 right now. Struggling with Canisius.

Comment

I don't get ESPN3
            Originally posted by Madman81
            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Add Jim Callis of Baseball America to the list of people giving Shipley to the Marlins in his mock draft.
              6. MIAMI MARLINS: Miami has been linked to Shipley for a while. He still appears to be the Marlins’ target, ahead of Meadows, Missisippi State outfielder Hunter Renfroe and maybe Moran if he were still on the board.

PROJECTED PICK: Braden Shipley (Mock draft 1.0/2.0: Reese McGuire/Shipley).

Comment

Smfh if Moran is available and we take Shipley over him

The guys in the front office are such morans
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

I am hearing that the Cubs may not draft Gray/Appel, instead going after Moran or Bryant.
                  LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Anyone watching Cal St. Fullerton?

Paul Lo Duca is doing color commentary. When he is on camera he is doing that thing that (I think) Chris Kattan did when he was on SNL. The thing where he looks one direction and is smiling and being normal and then suddenly turns to the camera and looks super serious. Or is that Zoolander?

Comment

Zoolander had Blue Steal and Magnum. Not sure if it's that though.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                        Smfh if Moran is available and we take Shipley over him

The guys in the front office are such morans
                        First of all, these scenarios all have Moran going ahead of the 6th pick and that will almost certainly be the case. Secondly, some people think Shipley is a better prospect. Moran really only has one plus tool and that hitting for average. There are questions about whether he can stay at 3rd base and about how high his ceiling is. Shipley on the other hand is the next best college pitcher after the big 2. He'll probably move quickly and has front of the rotation ability. He just recently moved to pitcher also, so he still has big time upside considering he's this good already.

I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to take Meadows though. It's partly a hunch and partly because they recently worked him out and reportedly were very impressed. I wouldn't be at all upset if he were the pick either as he has 5 tool ability.
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                        I am hearing that the Cubs may not draft Gray/Appel, instead going after Moran or Bryant.
                        If Moran goes 1 or 2 that could be the best case scenario for the Marlins. The Rockies are locked into Bryant it seems, although they could go with whichever of Appel/Gray is there. Word is, the Twins are locked into Stewart. Most likely the Indians would take whichever of Appel/Gray/Bryant is there, but if somehow they are already locked into someone that would be the Marlins best chance to land one of the 3 truly blue chip prospects in this draft. So while the chances are probably slim that it would ever happen, that would be our best bet. A nice consolation if Moran does go 1 or 2 and one of those big 3 isn't there is Kohl Stweart might be, and he might have as much upside as Appel/Grey, but would obviously take longer and is less of a sure thing.
                        Last edited by sports24/7; 06-01-2013, 06:45 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Looking more and more like it is gonna come down to Austin Meadows and Braden Shipley.

Shipley would be a deal to save some cash for later in the draft and Meadows would be for the 3.5 mil slot.

Both guys supposed have already OK'ed it so will depend on who we want at the spot. If we go Shipley,we will then go HS players like last year(BPA on our board) and if we go Meadows look for us to try to cut a deal or 2 (Nothing big just take a college pitcher or a PR player who should be 2nd/3rd Rd pick earlier) to save some cash
                          --------------------
                          Article on MLB.com by Frisaro

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mia&c_id=mia
                          Last edited by tjfla; 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Oh god I'd be so happy with Meadows.

Comment

Looking more and more like it is gonna come down to Austin Meadows and Braden Shipley.

Shipley would be a deal to save some cash for later in the draft and Meadows would be for the 3.5 mil slot.

Both guys supposed have already OK'ed it so will depend on who we want at the spot. If we go Shipley,we will then go HS players like last year(BPA on our board) and if we go Meadows look for us to try to cut a deal or 2 (Nothing big just take a college pitcher or a PR player who should be 2nd/3rd Rd pick earlier) to save some cash
                              --------------------
                              Article on MLB.com by Frisaro

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mia&c_id=mia
                              That would be good to get Shipley below slot, but I don't think taking him would be a purely money motivated move. Strictly as a prospect he's very worthy of the pick. There is a chance he could go before we pick (Keith Law mocked him to the Indians today). I'd be very happy with either pick. One guy with 1/2 Starter potential and pretty nasty stuff who could be a fast mover, the other with 5 tools and as much upside as any positional player in the draft.

Comment

Jonathan Gray got busted for "drugs" (Adderall)

any chance he drops to us now?

Comment

Working...
                                X