Revamping the Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revamping the Offseason

So I was talking to CC a couple days ago and I agree with him that the offseason as is now has issues. By reducing the actually time limit to only 30 days, essentially we only get to make one offer and whoever gives the best offer wins. There's no back and forth or anything like that.

So I think there needs to be a major overhaul, but how is the issue.

The easiest way to combat the issue would be that, instead of to sim only the month of February, Sim November-February. The problem is, this would take 3-4 weeks instead of just 1 week, making the offseason last an entire month. I'm personally not in favor of this, especially since we're only talking about a few players and teams that it would actually impact. But maybe that would be the preferred way.

My current proposed suggestion is, the major players (For sake of easiness, anyone over 1 star) get threads created and owners post their contract offers in that thread, and continually one up each other. Have a deadline (Make it a week long like the current offseason is), and whoever has the highest contract at the end wins. 1 star players are handled as they were this past offseason.

This is not without issue though. The problem comes in that people can camp the deadline and then snipe players. This is especially unfair both for and towards the commissioners, since they'd be the ones enforcing the deadline. Some suggestions to try and help that:

1) If an offer is not made within 24 hours of the last offer, no more offers can be made to that player. That will help with continual progression in offers made. This also wouldn't go into effect until a few days in, so that owners can see how the market is playing out (i.e. Offseason starts on Monday, last day sunday. The 24 hour limit starts on something like Thursday-Friday then).

2) If a player is still getting active offers at the deadline, have one final blind offer, sent as a PM to a commish. Whoever has the highest blind offer wins. Since people could still snipe with that, only the top 3 teams with the highest bid at the deadline can summit a blind offer. Ofcoarse people could still snipe to be a top 3 team...yeah, I'm not thinking #2 is gonna be all to useful.

But yeah, if you have any ideas for the above, or any ideas of you own of how to handle it, post up.
    No, it's fine as is
    33.33%
    Yes, should sim November-February
    33.33%
    Yes, should have threads to sign players
    22.22%
    Yes, but the options given suck just as much
    11.11%

I must say, the off-season was horribly handled.

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
      I must say, the off-season was horribly handled.
      Nothing much I could do
      CSBC Commish

Comment

I think the offseason was fine. My only gripe was prospects being put back on their teams after they hit free agency.
        This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
        Edmonton Ice Bats
        2007 Teal League Wildcard
        2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
        2010 Teal League Wildcard
        2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PitchingWinsGames View Post
          Nothing much I could do
          No doubt.

It should have been discussed beforehand.
          --------------------
          It's our bad.
          Last edited by Party; 02-09-2010, 11:27 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Where is the "My hair is a bird, your argument is invalid" option please?
            *Is a huge fucking asshole*

Comment

Originally posted by Sandroimbuto
              I rather not make my offers public
              This is a concern of mine, though, even in OOTP, it lets you know who has the highest offer and, I'd have to check, at least an idea of how much it is?
              CSBC Commish

Comment

Doesn't tell you how much it is, just who has the highest offer

Comment

Kinda like how real life works.

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

Edmonton Ice Bats

Comment

No. In real life, the player's agent would be saying "Team X is offering $Y for Z years. How are you going to top that?"

Comment

I think the process should be more open to knowing what the other guy is spending. If I offer Carlos Zambrano a $50M contract and the next closest is $30M me guessing what another guy is doing is not really a market.
                      --------------------
                      And in a league with a $75M salary cap, eliminating the guessing should be a top priority.
                      --------------------
                      Also, I'm not for eliminating guessing altogether. But there should be an ability to have a guesstimate of what type of offer a player has.

For example, if I offer Alex Rodriguez $100M over 5 years, another owner should have the ability to know "Portland offered ARod a contract between $17-$23M a year".
                      --------------------
                      If we did this for let's say a Top 10 list of free agents with a third party providing the 'inside info' the process would be better.
                      Last edited by Party; 02-10-2010, 01:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Why do you need to know how much someone else has offered? If you know you want someone, pay them. OOTP also doesn't necessarily have the guy sign with whoever offered the most money. Greed/Desire for a winning team etc all comes into play.

Edmonton Ice Bats

Comment

That's why he is called a third party.
                          --------------------
                          Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                          Why do you need to know how much someone else has offered? If you know you want someone, pay them. OOTP also doesn't necessarily have the guy sign with whoever offered the most money. Greed/Desire for a winning team etc all comes into play.
                          It's called budgeting and economizing. This league has a salary cap and anything that allows us to efficiently offer contracts and estimate the market would be a plus.

It's how it happens in real life.
                          --------------------
                          And I know it's like talking to a brick wall with Knuckleballs when it comes to changing the game so whatever.
                          Last edited by Party; 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

In the real world, agents would be telling you what other teams are offering. That is why this blind offer nonsense is ridiculous, especially when it occurs over the course of sims (not real time). For example, I had a player who said, "Hey, this team is giving me more, what'ya got to offer?" But, in that same sim, he signed with the team. I would've upped my offer. In the real world, that doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                              In the real world, agents would be telling you what other teams are offering. That is why this blind offer nonsense is ridiculous, especially when it occurs over the course of sims (not real time). For example, I had a player who said, "Hey, this team is giving me more, what'ya got to offer?" But, in that same sim, he signed with the team. I would've upped my offer. In the real world, that doesn't happen.
                              That happened to me with Dunn. It's infuriating and was my only problem with the offseason.

In real life agents lie. They usually don't go "Team X is offering $Y for Z years" because GMs keep in contact. I think it's more like "Some other teams are offering way more than you are. You're going to have to raise your offer $Y if you want to stay in this."

Comment

Working...
                              X