This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOTP Tutorial

First things first, once we have enough people, and everyone has a team and a manager identity and password, we will post a link to the league file for everyone to download. Once that's downloaded and extracted place the league file in the following directory/folder:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...-Directory.png

(Im limited to 4 images a post, so this image will remain linked, it's easy enough to get to)

From there, you'll open OOTP (which may or may not take an eternity : ) and be presented with the OOTP Main screen, you'll select "Load Game" and load the proper file from the list, more than likely you'll only have one option, which will be the UBL.lg file, select that and click the "OK" box. Be prepared to wait as it loads the league file.

From there, a "Log-In" screen will pop up, and here is where your manager identity and password (which I will be asking for once we've got enough people) will come into play. You'll select your manager and press "Select Manager" and will be prompted to put in your password. (See figure below). The game will not "remember" your password, as as such you'll have to input it each and every time you load your league file.

Upon putting in your password, you'll be loaded to the default screen. You'll typically only use the three tabs denoted in the figure below, recent is just what it says, a log of the recent "pages" you've been to.

This is your Manager's screen. In it, you'll see your team's information such as position in the standings, record, key offensive and pitching stats as well as league information. Highlighted are the two most important tabs you'll use, and you'll use them pretty much every time you open OOTP. These are "Export Team via FTP" and "Check for Updated League files". First things first when you open OOTP, you should ALWAYS check for the updated league files, if you make a change with an outdated league file, it won't go through. After you make a change, make sure you click "Export Team via FTP" this will send the league file to the commishes to make sure it gets into the sim. The "Export Team via FTP" function is available in several other parts of OOTP for easy access. On the bottom of the manager's screen is an email box. Your manager will get "e-mails" alerting him/her of league events such as players getting awards, exceptional performances (no-hitters, shutouts, 5 hit games... etc.) as well as letters from FAs letting you know what they think of your offer. Also, if you offer a player an option (team, player mutual) you'll be alerted via "e-mail" in-game regarding yours or his decision.

CSBC Commish

If you select the league tab ("UBL Teams" in our case, "TBBC Teams" in this screenshot) you can select your team's personal page. From this page, you'll be able to put players on the DL, demote/promote minor leaguers, release players, set lineups, set pitching staffs, view your upcoming/recent schedule and change your team's strategy. For those from the CBL, the "Home" page is very similar to the pages hosted online. They are the same thing, with all the same information, however, you now have access to all the splits and stats.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j.../Team-Home.png

(again, limited to 4 images per post, so, link'd)

The first tab is the "Transactions Tab". From here you can promote or demote players as you see fit. Remember though, promoting someone to your 40 man roster immediately gives them a major league contract, and demoting them from the majors to the minors uses an option year. Players only have up to 3 option years, so you'll have to strategically call players up and send them down to avoid being forced to place a player on waivers, where teams with worse records than you have a shot at stealing that player. You'll also be able to place players on the DL, "Trading Block', the "Untouchable" players list (though the latter two will also be handled on these forums primarily) as well as DFAing players. All this can be done by dragging the player to the corresponding box, and the boxes can be changed through the dropdown menus shown in the screenshot below. You'll also note on the bottom, there is a little box that says "Import/Export" ... Clicking that will give you the option to "Export via FTP". The "Action" tab will give you the options to have the CPU organize your whole team. I would suggest, at most, ONLY allowing the CPU to handle your minor league organization, by having the CPU do this to your WHOLE organization, you run the risk of the CPU putting players on waivers or using Minor League Options you wouldn't want to otherwise.

The next two tabs go together, they are "Pitching" and "Lineups & Depth Charts". Obviously these are where you will be editing your rotations and bullpens and your lineups and depth charts. Note again that there is an "Import/Export" tab, it is there for the same reason, so you can quickly export after making a change. In these tabs, you can choose several different methods of sorting players, including: Potential, Current Ratings and Stats. Put the player in the spot of your choosing by dragging their name to the spot you want them at. You can also go to "Action" and have the CPU do it for you. Remember, set your lineups for all situations (vs LHP no DH, vs RHP w/ DH... etc). In the bottom right of the screen, you'll see a tab that says "Affiliated Teams", from here you can change to your minor league teams and adjust their pitching and hitting as well.

The "Strategy" tab is one of the biggest sources of personalization for your team. From here, you can set (or have the CPU set, respectively) your team's strategies in given game times and situations. Take your time configuring this to your personal styles, if you have a team full of David Ortiz, Frank Thomas and the like, you won't want to choose to steal bases often.

Tabs I didn't go over include: Roster, Front Office, Personnel, Schedule, Report and History and News.

Roster: Your team's roster, you can sort just as you would in the Pitching and Lineup tabs.

Front Office: Ticket Sales and attendance figures, as well as your team focus. You should only edit your team focus (Rebuild, Neutral, Win Now!) here as we are using the salary cap and any unnecessary adjustments are just that, unnecessary.

Personnel: We're not using coaches, trainers, scouts... etc, so this page should be empty.

Schedule: Your team's schedule, self-explanatory, can also be accessed through your team's home page.

Report: Stat breakdown of your team. Can select from MANY different splits for Pitching, Hitting or Defense.

History and News: Self-Explanatory, sometimes interesting to look around in this tab to see if a No-Hitter was thrown or something like that.
    CSBC Commish

Comment

think I am a fool or soemthing perhaps just lack of sleep from work but when I open up the ootp file it only gives me commish and buster olney to pick for a manager, it doesnt seem to givem e the option to make my own file. what am I doing wrong?

Comment

We are waiting for everyone to send in their manager ID to PWG. I think your the last one, if you have not already done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfan79 View Post
          think I am a fool or soemthing perhaps just lack of sleep from work but when I open up the ootp file it only gives me commish and buster olney to pick for a manager, it doesnt seem to givem e the option to make my own file. what am I doing wrong?
          You're not supposed to make your own Manager ID, I have to manually add it, see the PM that I sent you.
          CSBC Commish

Comment

With the new owners I figured it'd be good to point out these thread:

Tips and tricks: http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=843
            Long term contracts: http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=3042
            changes: http://soflamarlins.com/showthread.php?t=2976

Comment

Thanks for that now that it's too late. I got screwed out of two players that favored my offers because they knew how to doctor the contracts.

Comment

What?
                --------------------
                lol hello common sense
                Last edited by Mainge; 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Since when is mbaamin08 a new owner?
                  You know what the difference between Jeremy Lin and Tim Tebow is?... Jeremy Lin is probably a good Quarter Back.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
                    Thanks for that now that it's too late. I got screwed out of two players that favored my offers because they knew how to doctor the contracts.
                    "Thanks for that now"

That's downright insulting, Mibs. That information had been posted before. You weren't "screwed" out of anything as I said specifically that I was handling that situation.

Additionally, if you're specifically citing Duran, I can tell you right now that you weren't even top 3 in his top offers, and that includes when I quit pursuing him myself a while ago. Relatively speaking, Mainge came out of nowhere to get him.

And at the same time, if Nick Masset is one of the "two" you were referring to, Nick Masset sucks, I can send you 3 MRs of similar quality and my team wouldn't really be that much worse for it.

But again, this is information that had been posted, called attention to and everyone was told it was important to keep in mind, a while ago. Everyone in this league is an adult, I can only make sure the info is available, I can't force everyone to read it.
                    CSBC Commish

Comment

Pretty sure she's referring to Kazmir signing with Boston and his 30-15 frontload.

Like I said, hooray common sense

Comment

Even worse if she's talking about Boston because that just annoys me more:

http://soflamarlins.com/showpost.php...96&postcount=2

If you're going to do a 4-5 year contract for some reason, think logically. The player may ASK for a heavily backloaded contract, but like Nny said, players don't age particularly gracefully so why not FRONT load it. 90% of the time they take it, players are only concerned about the per year value, for the most part.

Also, don't be afraid to use options in the last year. We only banned nefarious options. Miguel Cabrera's contract is a good example of this.
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post

Comment

Ways and Means is back!

ehe Mibs

Comment

Oh noes Beef is back!

Comment

Working...
                              X