This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOTP Tips and Tricks

This is a thread aimed mostly to those new to the game. So if you played before, you likely know this. But I think it's important that people new to the league have a better understanding of the game.

So with the prospect draft coming up somewhat soon, I thought I'd address something important: what exactly to look for when asking "will he fill out or will he bust."

The number one thing: age. In OOTP, once a player hits 26, he basically completely stops developing. He could still get a rate up*, but he will no longer develop ratings on his own. So it doesn't matter if a player has 5 star potential rating, if he's over 26 he's only as good as his overall ratings are.

*The game somewhat randomly gives "rate ups" and "rate downs". Ups gives the player better overall and potential ratings, down vice-versa. I say "somewhat randomly" because it seems that players who are doing very well may be more prone to a rate up, while players who are struggling may be more prone to a rate down, but again it's still random. How strong the ratings change are random, could barely make a difference or could turn a superstar into a nobody and a nobody into a superstar. Players of all ages can get rate ups and downs. You can see who on your team has gotten rate ups/downs by clicking the "Development Report" on your team home page.

It's also important to understanding how a prospect will develop in the minors. If a player is 21 and in AAA, he very likely will completely develop. Meanwhile, a 24 year old in Rookie ball likely has no chance of developing, because he has so little time left and is so far from his potential.

The second thing: Work Ethic (aka WE) and Intelligence (aka INT). You can find these ratings under the "Personality" section on the main screen of a players page. These two ratings really help in a players development.

Let's give an example. In this past round of the ML draft, I was stuck between taking JJ Hardy and Aaron Hill to take my SS position. I was talking to PWG and it basically came to he was going to pick the one I didn't take.

Even though Aaron hill is essentially 25 (He turns 25 in late March, meaning he only has this season and next spring training to develop) and is only 1 star overall, because he has an INT of 89 and a WE of 85, he will very likely completely fill out.

Meanwhile, JJ hardy is 24 so he has two years to develop, and ontop of which he already has two and a half stars overall rating. However, because his INT is 48 and his WE is a bad 25, the chances of him completely filling out are a lot worse than Aaron Hill's.

I ended up going with JJ because I feel that even if he doesn't fill out completely, he'll still get some rating increase, making him comparable to Hill offensively in the long run, but Hardy helps me more now.

This is also why Ian Snell fell down to the 5th round while comparable pitchers were picked in the second and third. Being 25 and having a WE of 15, he probably won't fill out much more.

WE though also plays another important roll: Players with high WE are less prone to slumps, and will break out of slumps faster than player with low WE. So it's a pretty important secondary trait to pay attention to even to players who are no longer prospects.

So when looking at prospects, make sure you pay attention to those things. Like using the example above, a 3 star 21 year old prospect in AAA with high WE/INT is more valuable than a 5 star 24 year old prospect in R with horrible WE/INT. Even though he has considerable less potential, the 3 star prospect is a lot more likely to help your major league team. Meanwhile the 5 star prospect probably shouldn't even be considered a prospect any more.

Really appreciate it Nny, thanks.

Comment

Also you can download the manual at

http://www.ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/ootpb8_manual.pdf

If you have a question about something in the game, you can search for it in there. For the most part it's about how to use the program though instead of talking about the inner workings.

Comment

Feel free to ask me anything too...
        CSBC Commish

Comment

One other thing I thought I'd add...

Eye is prone to develop regardless of age, I've noticed. Pretty realistic, if you think about it... it's obviously not going to be a staggering increase, but maybe a point or 2 a year, at most. There's also the chance it stays stagnant in a given year, but yeah.
          CSBC Commish

Comment

Player ratings also tend to fluctuate somewhat as the year progresses, pretty much corrolated to how they perform. If a player hits a slump, there's a chance his ratings might go down 1 or 2 points temporarily. Flip that for hot streaks.
            *Is a huge fucking asshole*

Comment

Since there's several questions regarding minor leagues, a very very easy way to set up your minor leagues is this:

At the bottom of OOTP, there's the quick link pictures aswell as the text "manager", "league", and "team". To the right of team, click the picture of the clipboard with the arrows going in opposite directions ontop of it. This takes you to your team's transaction page.

Once you are there, again at the bottom of OOTP (But right above the picture quick links), there's 4 bubbles with text: "Minor League System Report", "Action", "Import/Export", and "Affilated Team".

Click on Action and this brings up a menu with two options:
              "Ask AI to set up complete Organization, Lineups ect"
              "Ask AI To set up complete minor league system"

Do NOT hit the first one. This messes with your MLB team.

However, hitting the second one only affects minor league teams. The AI automatically assigns players to a league based off ratings and age, as well as automatically makes the line ups, rotation, and bullpen, giving favoritism to higher potential star players as they're always top of the rotation/line up/bullpen.

This is also only a one time thing. It does not automatically adjust your minor leagues from here on out, only at the time you hit the option. So it's a good idea to do this every few weeks.

Now it's not perfect, but if you're strapped for time or don't want to put in the effort of keeping up with your minor leagues, this really really really helps.

Comment

so if I set up my lineups and pitchers and all how do I get the information to the league commish?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishfan79 View Post
                  so if I set up my lineups and pitchers and all how do I get the information to the league commish?
                  On the very bottom left hand of the screen, where it says "Manager" and then has a picture of a house. Click on the house, this will take you to the "Manager Home" page.

from there just follow the attached image.

Also, wait to set your line ups and rotation until PWG gives the OK to export. If he uploads another league file before then, everything you did will reset.
                  Attached Files

Comment

thank you I will do

Comment

Big thing coming up with free agency

do not forget MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS can become FA's too

This includes 5 star prospects. i.e. Scott Elbert of Miami (one of the best pitching prospects) and Lorenzo Cain of Honlulu (one of the best OF propsects) are set to become FAs this offseason.

To see who is set to become a free agent:

On the very bottom line of OOTP, in the "Team" section, click the icon that looks like a dollar sign (Second farthest to the right).

From there, click on "Possible Free Agents" in the top-left part of the finance screen.

That then shows you the possible free agents, both minor and major league.

You then have two options. You can either right click on their name, and go to "Offer Extension", or you can click on the action bubble at the bottom left of the screen and select "Offer all minor league free agents minor league contract extensions." Big note that they might reject your offer if they are mlb-ready.

BIG THING ALSO RIGHT HERE:

Is that if you're player won't accept a minor league contract extension, put him on your 40 man roster and this will prevent him from becoming a free agent.

I'd also be using this time to try and work out guys who are set to be come free agents on your major league roster. Time is ticking down!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X