Prince Fielder: 9 Year Deal with Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilchris11 View Post
    then why say it now after going the whole offseason without saying a word.
    What do you mean?

Comment

• u dont tip your hand to you enemy, now cespedes might ask for more now. they went almost the whole offseason going around that question if they had intrest in cespedes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ace 77 View Post
        Samson does tell you, he just beats around the bush because he's not really supposed to be saying those things publically, period.

The bottom line for me is the following:

Cespedes wants too much $ for a guy who has never had a ML at-bat.

Fielder is proven and will contribute right away.

Cespedes is, what you say in Spanish "una caja de sorpresas", which translates to a box of surprises. He can be great, or he could be a bust.

Fielder, over his career has averaged .390 OBP .540 SLG .929 OPS, he's been a 3 X All Star.

If I get Fielder, I trade Ricky (for prospects) to clear up payroll and trade Gaby (with Matt D, maybe) for a 4/5th starter and let that guy battle it out with LeBlanc, Sanabia, Hand, etc.

With this much offense, the 5th starter will not be a problem.

Who can stop this lineup:

(CF)- Boni/Cogz
        (SS)- Reyes
        (3B)- Hanley
        (1B)- Prince
        (RF)- Stanton
        (LF)- LoMo
        (C)- Buck
        (2B)- Infante

Rotation:

JJ
        Buehrle
        Anibal
        Big Z/Starter acquired for Gaby(+)
        Big Z/Starter acquired for Gaby(+)
        You keep ignoring the fact that signing Fielder might not be in the budget for '12, while Cespedes might be. They're not asking for the same amount of money so this isn't comparable.

Comment

• It's not a big difference after you trade Ricky's 9 million, Nuñez 6 million and don't sign Cespedes.

Interesting fact from Buster through Twitter, posted today:

Worst 3 starting pitcher on BABIP in 2011 (batting average on balls in play): Ricky Nolasco (.325), Derek Lowe (.318), Edwin Jackson (.317).
          Last edited by Big Z; 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• So that means Ricky is due for a big rebound in Astrodome II.

Comment

It's not a big difference after you trade Ricky's 9 million, Nuñez 6 million and don't sign Cespedes.

That just means Nolasco has upside, if it means anything at all. Especially since we signed Reyes, which improves the left side of our infield, defensively.

Comment

• I don't think the Cubs are in on Fielder, either. I think, from what I've read, the four teams are the Nationals, Rangers, Orioles and Dodgers.

Sources

@Ken_Rosenthal: One GM told me last night that #Rangers are on Fielder "hard" but others continue to say TEX won't go heavy on years. We shall see. #MLB

@Ken_Rosenthal: Presence of #Orioles in Fielder derby, as reported by @Jim_Duquette, could set up O's vs. #Nationals, giving Boras leverage he needs. #MLB
                Still trying to find the Dodgers one. I believe Buster Olney tweeted that a few days ago.
                Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• dosent really matter who the final four are look what the angels did lol

Comment

It's not a big difference after you trade Ricky's 9 million, Nuñez 6 million and don't sign Cespedes.

The problems I see with this are:

1. It's still more money and a lot longer financial commitment
                    2. They would subsequently have to move Morrison for a big SP who is club controlled or cheap and most teams are finished with their offseason plans
                    3. And Gaby for a club controlled CF
                    4. And basically give away Nolasco and Nunez in pure salary dumps, assuming they find someone to take on the full contracts

If they were going Prince, they needed to do it two months ago. It is going to be tough to make a half dozen moves needed for his type of signing
                    --------------------
                    Honestly, I'd rather gamble Cespedes than sign Prince for 6 years. And we all know how I feel about Cespedes. At least Cespedes makes sense if he can stay in CF.
                    Last edited by lou; 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                      The problems I see with this are:

1. It's still more money and a lot longer financial commitment
                      2. They would subsequently have to move Morrison for a big SP who is club controlled or cheap and most teams are finished with their offseason plans
                      3. And Gaby for a club controlled CF
                      4. And basically give away Nolasco and Nunez in pure salary dumps, assuming they find someone to take on the full contracts

If they were going Prince, they needed to do it two months ago. It is going to be tough to make a half dozen moves needed for his type of signing
                      --------------------
                      Honestly, I'd rather gamble Cespedes than sign Prince for 6 years. And we all know how I feel about Cespedes. At least Cespedes makes sense if he can stay in CF.
                      I'd much rather sign a guy who has proven he can be a top-flight middle-of-the-order hitter than a 26-year-old (we think) Cuban prospect. Six years really isn't that bad when you think about it (so long as the money isn't through the roof).

Comment

• Why not just stay with the team we currently have? It's fine.

Comment

• The Cespedes vs. Fielder comparisons are really dumb for like a billion reasons. Why do people keep saying "I'd rather have Fielder." Well no fucking shit.
                          poop

Comment

• Well I'd rather have Fielder.

And who is people?

Comment

• Well, the post like right in front of ericks.
                              --------------------
                              And I've seen it in the Cespedes thread also.
                              Last edited by Bobbob1313; 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                              poop

Comment

• Big Z

Comment

Working...
                                X