No announcement yet.

2011 MLB Season Game Thread: May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much has been made of Fred Wilpon’s unflattering comments about stars Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and David Wright in the most recent edition of The New Yorker, but it’s the club bleeding red ink that is more concerning.

Wilpon is quoted in the current issue of Sports Illustrated as saying the Mets are "bleeding cash" and could lose up to $70 million this year.

That’s $10 million more than the club initially forecasted they lose this season. Attendance is killing the club that is seeing an average of 28,565 over 21 games and rank them just 13 out of the 30 clubs in MLB.

The loses are adding to the drop in the club’s overall valuation. Forbes valued the club a $747 million in its most recent listing, but today, Mike Ozanian with the publication adjusted that figure now estimates the value of the franchise to be closer to $700 million.
    When you throw in hedge-fund mogul Steve Cohen backing out of a reported $200 million minority purchase of the club (something that we said was actually beneficial), it does put more pressure on the Wilpons and Saul Katz to get cash in the door, fast.

At what point, if any, does all this cause Sterling Equities to buckle and sell majority stake? The ownership will say that’s not going to happen, but we’re beginning to wonder. Either the club needs to get a minority owner in yesterday (which will assuredly be below Cohen’s offer), or quite building ill-will with the fans (comments about the players). Either way, if the team were to somehow rally and move up in the standings, it’s going to be a losing year for the Mets.
    -BizofBaseball

Comment

• Wilson Valdez just threw a scoreless 19th

Comment

• 88 with some movement. Not too shabby.

Comment

• this is awesome

Comment

• Buster_ESPN: RT @VinDiGioiaUCF: @Buster_ESPN Valdez can get win while jo-jo reyes is 0-28. WOW! I love baseball.
            /Twitter

Comment

• Valdez is a winner

Comment

• THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- The owners of the New York Mets have agreed to sell a minority share of the team to investor David Einhorn for $200 million.

The announcement Thursday would allow financially strapped owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz to retain control of the team and give them money to help pay debts and cover operating expenses.

Einhorn is president of the private investment firm Greenlight Capital, Inc.
                The Mets said in a statement that Einhorn will be a "preferred partner" and have a "nonoperating investment" in the team.

The Mets say the deal is subject to the "negotiation of a mutually acceptable definitive agreement" and needs the approval of Major League Baseball.
                Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/2...#ixzz1NTIGO7Wd

Comment

• Posey has a broken ankle per ESPN. As expected.

Comment

• I'm sure Cousins is among the most bummed about it. Sucks for Buster.
                    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                    - Daft

Comment

• That's no good. No good at all. I really hope the Giants can fight throw it, I'd be disappointed if this significantly hindered the Giants season, but I don't see how it won't.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Out for the season. Sucks.

Comment

• I just hope it doesn't get out of hand with them throwing at us today.. While it sucks what happened to Posey.

Comment

• I'm sure the players know what's coming today...

Comment

• Could work to our advantage too.. too busy worrying about getting us back and all we wanna do is get out of town with a sweep

Comment

• Free bases are cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X