2010 Dontrelle Willis Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American League: 2010 Dontrelle Willis Watch

I'll be rooting hard for this guy tommorow.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...lis_looks.html

Tigers' Dontrelle Willis looks forward to first start
    By Steve Kornacki
    April 07, 2010, 11:35PM

Dontrelle Willis
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dontrelle Willis makes his first start of the season for the Detroit Tigers on Thursday afternoon, and was asked if it was special in light of what he’s accomplished to earn a rotation spot.

“No, no,” Willis said. “They all mean the same. I’m just excited to play, and hopefully will have 32 or 35 of these.”

Willis has started 14 games with one win in two seasons with Detroit. Knee injuries had him on the disabled list two months during 2008, and he spent nearly all of 2009 on the disabled list with an anxiety disorder. Much of his pitching came on rehabilitation assignments in the minors.

But the wild throwing that led Willis to average more than one walk per inning when he was able to pitch for Detroit has been remedied. He walked 12 in 22 1/3 innings and had a 3.22 ERA in Grapefruit League games.

“He’s showed confidence and I’m anxious to see him,” Leyland said. “I think he’ll be fine. He was around the plate all spring even when he walked people.”

Leyland said he wasn’t sure what the measuring stick for Willis was in regard to whether his control is adequate.

“All I care about is he gets outs,” Leyland said. “He’s moving forward, and we’re moving forward. And he’s extended his velocity.”

Willis’ fastball registered 93 mph late in spring training.

“I’m not a complex dude,” Willis said. “I just try to win that day. I feel great. I had a good spring and I’m anxious to go out and start.”

He had a little fun with the media for repeatedly asking him for thoughts on his comeback, saying, “I know I’ve given you the same answers because I was there when I said it.”

Everybody laughed. Willis likes to say that he’s just trying to have fun, and it’s evident that he is.

The Tigers chose Willis and Bonderman for the last two rotation spots, and traded Nate Robertson to the Florida Marlins for relief prospect Jay Voss.

Willis had between 32 and 35 starts in each of his last four seasons with the Marlins, who traded him to the Tigers after the 2007 season. He made the National League All-Star teams in 2003, when he was Rookie of the Year for a world championship team, and 2005, when he was second in Cy Young Award voting and 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA.

“Now, I just want to leave it all on the field,” Willis said. “If they line out 27 times, I don’t care. I just want outs; I’m not a prideful person.”

I shall watch this on MLB.TV

Comment

This one's about to start.
      --------------------
      D-Train with 2bb 2h 1er after 1.
      Last edited by Mainge; 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

he'll be out of the roto by May

he looks terrible out there

Comment

Much better. 0bb 1k 1-2-3 inning.

Comment

He's worse than JJ

Comment

3h 0bb 1k 1er

Comment

Where you watchin at?

Comment

So 3 ip, 2 er, 5 h, 2 bb, 2 so through 3?

He's gotten to the third. I guess it's an improvement on his last couple of seasons.
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
                    Where you watchin at?
                    Extra Innings.
                    Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    So 3 ip, 2 er, 5 h, 2 bb, 2 so through 3?

He's gotten to the third. I guess it's an improvement on his last couple of seasons.
                    Yup.

Comment

He's all over the place

Comment

Im watchin in class, my computer gon break for sure, but I am seemingly ahead of Mainge, so it still isn't worth it

Comment

good 4th for him

Comment

1k 1-2-3 inning

Comment

issues in the 5th

Comment

Working...
                              X