X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Straily got claimed and we pulled him back

The mystery team that claimed him was apparently unable to offer any prospects the Marlins believed to be worth Straily’s departure
    I have a hard time thinking they find a better $4 million pitcher in free agency next year. He protects the kids in the rotation and offers some upside as he was solid 16/17. I think they keep him unless they get something half decent, like an Eveld or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      I have a hard time thinking they find a better $4 million pitcher in free agency next year. He protects the kids in the rotation and offers some upside as he was solid 16/17. I think they keep him unless they get something half decent, like an Eveld or whatever.
      Heard they asked for 2 prospects. Mid Level Arm like Mills/Eveld and low level MIF preferred. Pretty much what Mike Fires got

Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded at Winter Meetings as they were willing to trade him to the team just couldn't come to terms on names

Comment

• Straily has had an awful year. They should have sold high on during the offseason. I’m of the belief that the rotation should only have 1 of Straily/Chen next season. And well Chen has been better and obviously ain’t going anywhere.

Jose Ureña
        Caleb Smith
        Trevor Richards
        Pablo Lopez
        Sandy Alcantara

That should be the rotation next season. With guys like Neidert, Brigham, Gallen, Merandy, Yamamoto, Elieser, Beggs down waiting in the wings for spot starts and limiting innings on the younger guys.
        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• According to Baseball Reference, Isaac Galloway has the highest WAR among all Marlin OF'ers this season at .5. (Anderson is listed at 3b.) Galloway's rating matches that of Drew Steckenrider, the team's highest rated pitcher. Tip of the hat to Isaac or shake of the head to WAR evaluation, whichever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
            According to Baseball Reference, Isaac Galloway has the highest WAR among all Marlin OF'ers this season at .5. (Anderson is listed at 3b.) Galloway's rating matches that of Drew Steckenrider, the team's highest rated pitcher. Tip of the hat to Isaac or shake of the head to WAR evaluation, whichever.
            If Galloway's competition is only Brinson, Ortega, Dean, Cooper, B. Lee, Shuck, and Sierra, I don't think a tip of the hat is warranted. Ridiculously small sample sizes of AAAA players (and a slumping Brinson) and it's a battle of BABIP (Galloway .400, everyone else, way lower than .400). Who cares. Galloway should be non-tendered after the season, but he's a nice story of perseverance and he gets the MLB pension so great for him.

Urena, Richards, and Ca. Smith are rated above Steckenrider also on Fangraphs, but Fangraphs formula is different from BR. FG weighs pitching more on FIP, and I think that's a smarter thing to do to more effectively weigh in defense and judge pitcher's on what they can better control.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
              If Galloway's competition is only Brinson, Ortega, Dean, Cooper, B. Lee, Shuck, and Sierra, I don't think a tip of the hat is warranted. Ridiculously small sample sizes of AAAA players (and a slumping Brinson) and it's a battle of BABIP (Galloway .400, everyone else, way lower than .400). Who cares. Galloway should be non-tendered after the season, but he's a nice story of perseverance and he gets the MLB pension so great for him.

Urena, Richards, and Ca. Smith are rated above Steckenrider also on Fangraphs, but Fangraphs formula is different from BR. FG weighs pitching more on FIP, and I think that's a smarter thing to do to more effectively weigh in defense and judge pitcher's on what they can better control.
              Of course it's a tiny sample for Galloway. It merely highlights how lacking the Miami OF is. Even Dean is showing less and less plate discipline with each passing game. Most would probably agree that Ortega is the best guy out there right now. Sierra ( minus 1 WAR) has been so bad that a returning Brinson will be an improvement!
              Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-27-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Maybe a good sign on VV for us??

Baltimore traded AWAY 750K yesterday. They still got like 6.5 Million

Comment

Maybe a good sign on VV for us??

Baltimore traded AWAY 750K yesterday. They still got like 6.5 Million
                  that would be such a ridiculously huge signing if we could make it happen. Baltimore all of a sudden caring about the IFA market would be super weird to me. Hopefully we can convince him to sign with us despite having less money.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    that would be such a ridiculously huge signing if we could make it happen. Baltimore all of a sudden caring about the IFA market would be super weird to me. Hopefully we can convince him to sign with us despite having less money.
                    Super Weird but always confused me why teams like Balt/Oak/Miami/Minn/KC never really got into the IFA market with this new system. TB is the only small market team who hits the IFA hard and they scout so well they usually not only get TOP guys but get solid cheap ones and trade for others. The rest sign 1 big name guy each and thats about it

- - - - - - - - - -

Miami should be killing Cuba/Bahamas and Latin America now and in the future

I think Sherman/Jeter/Denbo have done a solid job but if Jorge Mas owned the team they would be all about Cuba/Latin America guys and would be signing Manny Machado to be our SS this offseason

Comment

Super Weird but always confused me why teams like Balt/Oak/Miami/Minn/KC never really got into the IFA market with this new system. TB is the only small market team who hits the IFA hard and they scout so well they usually not only get TOP guys but get solid cheap ones and trade for others. The rest sign 1 big name guy each and thats about it
                      Because they are stupid and, at least in Loria's case, dont see how beneficial it can be long term by creating depth in a system which in turn can lessen the need to overpay mediocre free agents later on. That was the thing with Loria that never made sense to me given that he is a billionaire. He was completely unable to see that short term investments in the draft and IFA can pay off in a huge way down the line not only through an additional avenue to find star talent, but also in building a complete organization with depth. If we had actually invested in the draft and IFA, we would have been able to ideally develop more cost controlled talent and would have not even needed to sign ridiculously mediocre free agents to big money deals like (Volquez, Chen, Ziegler, Tazawa, Salty, Buck, Heath Bell, etc). This point is the whole reason why Loria was such a bumbling moron as an owner: he wasnt even good at being cheap. He just liked short term high priced fixes rather than building a healthy organization with lower yearly investments in young cheap talent that would have made his organization both successful and cheap.

Loria flat out was incapable of seeing that small annual investments in young talent will make your organization better, more sustainable, and will almost eliminate the need to sign mediocre players to big money. It is the most simply concept in the game and in business in general, and Loria just did not understand it.

Comment

• O i know why we didn't meant more the other teams

Jeff refused to even upgrade the DR Complex. Jeter has brought in more teachers to help the kids.

Comment

• What Loria consistently did was the equivalent of an investor preferring to buy a company at its absolute peak with no real room for the deal to be a value rather than investing money in people whose very job it is to find the next big major company at an incredibly small amount of money when that company is just starting up. Sure, the big company is already running and there isnt as big of a risk, but youre also not leaving room for much growth and the upside isnt nearly as high. IF the goal was to be cheap and successful, Jeffrey Loria went about doing it in the single most inefficient way humanly possible. He is a bumbling buffoon.

Comment

• Still alot of hope for Miami and VV Mesa especially since some news out of Baltimore is they are only willing to spend like 3.5-4 million for him. No clue if reports are true but have heard that ALOT

Will be something to watch over the next month or 2. Supposedly the timeline is

Sept-Mesa Brothers cleared
                            Late Sept or Oct-Showcase
                            Oct/Nov-VV Signs and Maybe Mesa Jr

Comment

Still alot of hope for Miami and VV Mesa especially since some news out of Baltimore is they are only willing to spend like 3.5-4 million for him. No clue if reports are true but have heard that ALOT

Will be something to watch over the next month or 2. Supposedly the timeline is

Sept-Mesa Brothers cleared
                              Late Sept or Oct-Showcase
                              Oct/Nov-VV Signs and Maybe Mesa Jr
                              The Victor Victor comp that I've read is Albert Almora. If that's the case, does it really matter whether Miami signs him or not?

Comment

I think Sherman/Jeter/Denbo have done a solid job but if Jorge Mas owned the team they would be all about Cuba/Latin America guys and would be signing Manny Machado to be our SS this offseason
                                Given that free agency in 2020/2021 isn't as good as "Manny Machado," I think this makes a lot of sense if they are willing to make that financial and marketing plunge. I mean, I know this is a 1% scenario but:

Prado and Chen - $31 million (for fuck's sake)
                                Realmuto - $7 (big arbitration raise)
                                Dietrich - $4.5 (arb2/was super2)
                                Rojas - $2 (arb2)
                                Urena - $3 (arb1)
                                Conley - $2 (arb1)
                                Cooper, Riddle, Anderson, Dean, Brinson, Ortega, Club Controlled 1B/OF type, Club Controlled Backup Catcher, Richards, Ca. Smith, Pablo, Alcantara, Steckenrider, Wittgren, Guerrero, Brigham, Merandy, Garcia = 18 club controlled dudes for $11+ million
                                =Just over $60 million

Trade - Castro, Straily, Barraclough

Machado even at $30+ million fits into a $90 million budget and if they also cast out Dietrich, Rojas, and Conley, which no one is losing sleep over, they can get that down another $10ish. I feel pretty confident they could get two young 1B/OF types and a backup catcher trading those 6 guys/Rule V/cheap acquisitions, and just promoting Peters or Quijada in place of Conley to fill out the roster.

I mean Machado is a dream scenario, but purely on a money and personnel level, they can jump into that pool 1 year early and I like that idea because I'd rather spend on him versus someone like George Springer or Gerrit Cole who may be the more marquee names available later. What an offseason that would be, if they extended Realmuto and signed Machado to be home with his family.

Will never happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X