Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's not a speedster. Apparently your car has no middle ground between "0 MPH" and "110 MPH"?

He's not slow. He might not be very fast, but he's got at least average speed and I don't think he has bad range. I've always felt his biggest problem, as I said, is that he seems lost out there. Can't get his head out of the clouds, etc. He's significantly improved in that area, and now he's become a better defensive player.

And you don't steal almost 30 bases when you have "no speed". You are entirely misrepresenting what I've said because you disagree. That's cool, but I've never said he's fast. I said I don't agree with the perception that he has no range and is lead-footed.

Once again, the perception and what the numbers show don't match up. And when the perception entirely disagrees with the stats, and especially when it comes to a player that is widely hated because he's not lived up to expectations, I'll go with stats. People simply don't have fair opinions on Hermida, and they never have. It's ok, but if you're going to judge a player, I'll not let the fact that he was a first round pick affect that like so many seem to.
    poop

Comment

I never said he has no range, nor that he is leadfooted.

I'm one of Hermida's biggest backers here, there's no doubting that, and I've said time and again that trading him or non-tendering him would be foolish, but there's a point at which perception is fair and statistics stop meaning much, especially in the case of Hermida when you have to use statistics, parse statistics and say perceptions be damned to make the case that he's scraping by as average. Yeah his 2007 was great, but that was two years ago, yes his second half is great, but it's coming along with a mind-numbing ability to not hit for extra-bases. I don't really think there's anything that can be said for Hermida's body of work other than frustratingly below average for a first round pick, and borderline unacceptable for a corner player on a budget strapped franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
        The perception that he has no range is fairly derived from the fact that he has no speed.
        Hmm.

The .300/.420/.450 OPS he's been putting up recently is pretty much in line with his minor league numbers. He's just not a power hitter. He didn't really do anything exceptionally well in the minors except walk.

Who is parsing statistics? Unless I'm mistaken, he was like a +9 defensively like a week or so ago, so I can't imagine he's gotten much worse. Perception doesn't mean much with a player like Hermida because as you said, he's a below average first round pick. Perception is always going to be painted by that, and that's not necessarily fair. He's average offensively, but below average for a RF. But he's also been balls out awesome recently, so that doesn't matter that much. He doesn't deserve to be taken out of the lineup right now.

I mean, he was never as bad as often as everyone made him out to be. He was just spectacularly bad when he was bad. He's really improved this year, I really don't see how anyone can disagree with that. The mental errors are getting fewer and fewer, and he looks much more comfortable.
        poop

Comment

wgl
          Originally posted by Matt Wilson
          Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
          Tom Koehler(4-0)
          AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

You're parsing stats when you have to give the qualifier "recently".

It's much the same as saying "just look at this guys daytime OPS" or "when there's a full moon and no rain in the forecast."

If you can't point to the current full season's body of work, and only selectively pick and choose time frames, it's parsing.

Comment

Jeez, I do feel like I've never seen Hermida just completely haul ass to get to a ball.

Comment

lol at that jump...holy jesus
                --------------------
                CC is just so cool.
                Last edited by MiamiHomer; 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

VandenHurk at 32 pitches in the first inning.

Comment

Way to back up the argument Uggla.

Comment

Cody K's on three fastballs down the middle.

Comment

Well done

Comment

Can I just fucking see Maybin play already.

Comment

Originally posted by FishFanInPA View Post
                            Way to back up the argument Uggla.
                            Huh? Did he argue that he doesnt strikeout?

Comment

so far Vazquez has 5k on 6 outs, boner didnt strike out, he's a winner
                              Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                              Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                              Tom Koehler(4-0)
                              AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I'm almost positive this is the first time we've worn the black tops at home this season. Right?

Comment

Working...
                                X