• Show
Clear All

• Kick in the balls trade

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Fangraphs thinks here:

Snelling - back end innings eater

Mazur - reliever

Pauley - 2B/1B/LF utility guy, but if they can fix swing he got some B. Lowe/Seager bat swing mentions which is interesting

Beshears - Extremely low end 2B prospect. Big throw in. Doesn't matter.

This is the worst trade Peter has made so far for me. I'm not sure what is going on here given all the other banger reliever deals. They must really like some pitch mix stuff here (similar to Garrett who isn't a hard thrower but he's good. That's Snelling's path to being better), and can fix Pauley off a down year.
      BA completely disagrees on all 3

Comment

• Snelling went from Low A (including the california league that is the best hitters league in the minors and dominated) to AA as a 19 year old and threw 100 innings, 118 k's, just 30 walks, and he's a 6'3 lefty.

Mazur was a 2nd round pick, in his first pro year last year went from A+ up to AA and showed elite control. 18 walks in 90 innings, nearly a k per inning. Reminds me of Pablo lopez stat wise.

Pauley went from a ball to AA across 3 levels and his .300 with a .900 OPs at each level, 23 hr's, just 93 k's to 60 walks, and even stole 22/27 bases.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

BA completely disagrees on all 3
          Cool?

Snelling has a 6 ERA (4.40 xFIP) in AA with an 8K/9, 4 BB/9 in a lot of innings. The nerds say backend SP. But the Marlins have had success with lower velocity guys (Braxton) so they ge thte benefit of a doubt.

Mazur a 7.83 era (4.91 xFIP) in AAA, and then a .749 era (6.17 x FIP in AAA). He's getting drilled over 55 innings all levels. This dude is a FB/Slider reliever.

Pauley is hitting .228, but he does have a low BABIP. I think this is the most interesting piece TBH and I hope fangraphs defensive lack of optimism is wrong and can hack at 3B. He's a lefty so just hit right handers and I'm good with this.

It's underwhelming with Lesko got moved for a RP. He's a tick above all these guys.

Comment

• It’s too bad they couldn’t get De Vries, but this feels like a pretty good return for a rental RP. Snelling has struggled this year, but started the year very highly regarded. With the Marlins’ track record with pitchers like that, I feel pretty good there. We’ll see what happens with the others, but clearly these were guys Bendix and company liked because one would think there were other good offers out there. I would have preferred more bats, but maybe they saw more value in how they could elevate the pitchers.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
              Snelling went from Low A (including the california league that is the best hitters league in the minors and dominated) to AA as a 19 year old and threw 100 innings, 118 k's, just 30 walks, and he's a 6'3 lefty.

Mazur was a 2nd round pick, in his first pro year last year went from A+ up to AA and showed elite control. 18 walks in 90 innings, nearly a k per inning. Reminds me of Pablo lopez stat wise.

Pauley went from a ball to AA across 3 levels and his .300 with a .900 OPs at each level, 23 hr's, just 93 k's to 60 walks, and even stole 22/27 bases.
              I’m not arguing we make this deal last offseason and I probably love it, but we didn’t make it last offseason.

Comment

• Can someone post the most updated Fangraphs Top 120 (or so) prospects? I'm having a hell of time finding it on my phone.

Comment

• FWIW, MLB Pipeline had Snelling as the number 44 prospect in all of baseball in their last rankings. Obviously his production this year has dropped him, but there’s a reason he was that high.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post

Cool?

Snelling has a 6 ERA (4.40 xFIP) in AA with an 8K/9, 4 BB/9 in a lot of innings. The nerds say backend SP. But the Marlins have had success with lower velocity guys (Braxton) so they ge thte benefit of a doubt.

Mazur a 7.83 era (4.91 xFIP) in AAA, and then a .749 era (6.17 x FIP in AAA). He's getting drilled over 55 innings all levels. This dude is a FB/Slider reliever.

Pauley is hitting .228, but he does have a low BABIP. I think this is the most interesting piece TBH and I hope fangraphs defensive lack of optimism is wrong and can hack at 3B. He's a lefty so just hit right handers and I'm good with this.

It's underwhelming with Lesko got moved for a RP. He's a tick above all these guys.
                    Now do what each of them did last year and not just the last half year at new levels. Also not sure where you are getting snelling being a lower velocity guy. Garrett throws below 91 average fastball, Snelling apparently sits 92-95 and touches 96. BA says he sits 95-96. They have his floor as at least a #3 starter.

They have Mazur at a potential mid rotation guy and they have him as having 4 plus pitches and elite 70 level control.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                      FWIW, MLB Pipeline had Snelling as the number 44 prospect in all of baseball in their last rankings. Obviously his production this year has dropped him, but there’s a reason he was that high.
                      his stats last year as a 19 year old across 3 levels are absurd.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                        It’s too bad they couldn’t get De Vries, but this feels like a pretty good return for a rental RP. Snelling has struggled this year, but started the year very highly regarded. With the Marlins’ track record with pitchers like that, I feel pretty good there. We’ll see what happens with the others, but clearly these were guys Bendix and company liked because one would think there were other good offers out there. I would have preferred more bats, but maybe they saw more value in how they could elevate the pitchers.
                        It's a great return if we ignore what Adam/Estevez got. So there IS that.

This is A LOT of speculation.

This is a bulk deal. We wanted 1 singular better player. They did the same deal twice with the Padres (Head). They took a bulk deal versus the 1 better guy.

That's fine. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                          Can someone post the most updated Fangraphs Top 120 (or so) prospects? I'm having a hell of time finding it on my phone.
                          https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board

Its scrolling their board

Comment

• moving forward our SP depth looks even better than it did before rogers was moved. Sandy, eury, Luzardo, Garrett, Cabrera, Meyer, Meyer, White, Snelling, and Mazur

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick View Post

I’m not arguing we make this deal last offseason and I probably love it, but we didn’t make it last offseason.
                              Bingo. It's underwhelming with Estevez/Adam returns.

But it's still good for what a sane trade proposal would be for Scott and Hoeing.

Comment

• DLC to pittsburgh. i might cry tears of joy

Comment

Working...
                                X