2024 Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post

When are you going to stop posting because you don't care about this franchise
    Probably around the time you stop posting 9 paragraph soliloquies about how if they just spend $40 million at some point in free agency that this team will look good somehow on paper despite needing 7-8 position players and having one of the worst farm systems in all of baseball and one of the worst ownership groups in all of professional sports

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

I don't love it either at the moment. I suspect it was the best package they could get, though, for a guy that they were absolutely not re-signing for $100 million+
      Ehh May’s just begun. Maybe it was the best deal on the table now, but you got 3 months til the deadline. Just doesn’t seem like the type of return I would feel obligated to pull the trigger right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post

just go look on twitter at the responses, and that’s the diehards who actually give a fuck to go so far as to talk about this team online
        Just saw this, who gives a shit what people on TWITTER think? That cesspool echo chamber of the ignoramus?

Unapologetic baseball decisions and being honest about the state of the team is refreshing. It sucks they have to do this because Bruce is so cheap, but the team doesn't work. They should have done this in December-February but better late than never. What are you missing here?

Comment

• That return feels awfully underwhelming. I really hate the quantity over quality approach. They weren’t re-signing him, but they still should have been able to do better, I feel like. It’s just really hard to give Bendix the benefit of the doubt right now, and even more frustrating they didn’t sell high on Luzardo and Scott in the offseason.

Comment

Me not being a glass overflowing apologist like you doesn’t mean I’m drinking, I don’t drink. Give me a fucking break dude, look at their fucking lineup you clown. They don’t have a single full time major league non platoon player long term at this point outside of burger who has no real defensive position. We couldn’t score runs even with Arraez being the best pure hitter in baseball and just traded him for no one even close to being able to contribute. Let me guess, yes, if they just sign 5 guys using $50 million of free agent money annually they maybe, just maybe, will look good on paper. It won’t happen. This is a complete train wreck of a lineup and a complete trainwreck of an organization and ownership group, and they don’t have a single top hitting prospect worth a damn anywhere in the entire system let alone being close to major league ready. They quite literally need 7-8 long term position players. This team looks fucking awful for years to come. Not a single one of these hitters anywhere throughout the entire organization are remotely close to being stars, let alone the 3-4 guys they will need to get to that level to be anywhere close to being competitive
            What? How many times have I led the fuck Bruce Sherman chant? I am leading the parade. I'm the conductor. You're behind me in this.

But that doesn't mean they don't have to trade their more expensive/less club controlled assets ASAP. And yes, 7 bats easily. Agree.

You know what they don't need though - any pitchers (absent more injuries).

Comment

Just saw this, who gives a shit what people on TWITTER think? That cesspool echo chamber of the ignoramus?

Unapologetic baseball decisions and being honest about the state of the team is refreshing. It sucks they have to do this because Bruce is so cheap, but the team doesn't work. They should have done this in December-February but better late than never. What are you missing here?
              They didn’t get a single top prospect for the best pure hitter in baseball. Not a single outlet has any of the guys they just acquired being in the top 5 of the Padres organization

They haven’t at any point been honest about the state of the team. It’s constant gaslighting. The fact that you still don’t understand that you are seeing what you want to see is maddening.

and you should absolutely give a fuck what the most passionate marlins fans say about this trade. This team has the worst fan base in the sport, and the most passionate fans out of that already limited fan base that take the time to post on twitter about the team are for the most part completely fucking done with this bullshit. If you, like Sherman and Bendix, can’t see that at this point, you’re about to have a really bad time for what’s about to happen to this organization locally

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                That return feels awfully underwhelming. I really hate the quantity over quality approach. They weren’t re-signing him, but they still should have been able to do better, I feel like. It’s just really hard to give Bendix the benefit of the doubt right now, and even more frustrating they didn’t sell high on Luzardo and Scott in the offseason.
                Luzardo's value hasn't changed, Scott's probably but if he rattles off 10 good innings they'd get the same thing*

But they should have moved both of them for sure. But admitting mistakes is something. That's all I'm saying here.

Comment

Luzardo's value hasn't changed, Scott's probably but if he rattles off 10 good innings they'd get the same thing*

But they should have moved both of them for sure. But admitting mistakes is something. That's all I'm saying here.
                  Luzardos value hasn’t changed as he has a 6.58 era and is on the injured list with an elbow injury. Scott has 14 walks in 13 innings after 24 walks in 78 innings last year. Sure thing. Youre a Baghdad bob parody at this point.

Comment

• From the head of baseball america-

Analysis of the Luis Arraez trade, prospects first reported by @CraigMish.

Head has upside, but he's not a Top 100 Prospect. The other two are a projected bench bat and low-leverage reliever A modest return for a player swapped for Pablo Lopez.

Adding Marsee to the deal, as noted in multiple reports. Doesn't really change the assessment. Arraez is a 4+ WAR player who is still young. You want to get a cornerstone piece to build around when you trade a player like that, especially if it's the first week of May.

Comment

• Marlins Twitter is the most toxic, reactionary Marlins community on the planet. It's a joke.

Let me guess, Marlins Twitter is saying they're "done with this organization"?

See you next week, Marlins Twitter.

Comment

Arraez is a 4+ WAR player who is still young.
                        Arraez WAR

2021: 1.6
                        2022: 2.8
                        2023: 3.5
                        2024 (so far): 0.0

But yeah Baseball America get wild with your 4+ WAR stuff

Comment

They didn’t get a single top prospect for the best pure hitter in baseball. Not a single outlet has any of the guys they just acquired being in the top 5 of the Padres organization

They haven’t at any point been honest about the state of the team. It’s constant gaslighting. The fact that you still don’t understand that you are seeing what you want to see is maddening.

and you should absolutely give a fuck what the most passionate marlins fans say about this trade. This team has the worst fan base in the sport, and the most passionate fans out of that already limited fan base that take the time to post on twitter about the team are for the most part completely fucking done with this bullshit. If you, like Sherman and Bendix, can’t see that at this point, you’re about to have a really bad time for what’s about to happen to this organization locally
                          First, who cares about organizational rank. It's irrelevant. What matters is how good each player is. We've gone over this. The 6th best guy in different system can have radical different value.

Second, should Arraez get a top prospect? He's a 2-2.5 WAR 1B moving forward. You seem to keep mentioning he's the best pure hitter in baseball, well, he's currently the worst defensive player in baseball. The worst. This matters. A lot. He's a really good player for the right team that can play him at 1B/DH with the great OBP, but what's the price of a 2-2.5 WAR player in FA? You can probably can replace him quickly with the payroll ($22m over 2 years) you just saved. And now you have 4 more players, and one is a 1st rounder so maybe you get lucky in a few years.

Third, I agree. They have not been honest about the team (well besides Berti but that was a minor thing) - until today. That's important here. This is a hard move to make. OF COURSE there will be blowback. But what did they do? An unapologetic baseball decision. This was made to make the team better with getting 4 younger guys and shedding payroll in a losing year. The thought process is correct despite your current rage. Will the players pan out? Who knows. But the decision was right because the team stinks. You know, how I told you all offseason they won't go 33-14 in 1 run games again. All offseason.

Fourth, I lead the parade on establishing a better team culture. So you don't know what you are talking about. And you know what? This is a culture move. Keep getting your ass kicked and trade Arraez in July? Versus now? So take 2 1/2 months of injury risk to do the same thing you're going to do then? That's fucking stupid. When decisions are made, execute them. This is the beginning of the reset that needed to happen to get to a place the team makes sense. They should have done all of this in the offseason. We all agree on this. But since they didn't, they admitted their mistake and pulled the plug early. That is a sign of competence in thought process. More better decisions lead to more better creates. Create your own luck. Two things can be true here - they fucked up the entire offseason causing this mess (which I note, you didn't see and defended them saying Burger/Bell will offset the losses of others and they don't need a 5th SP, where literally every other person on this board was like WTF is wrong with you), but now that we are here they made the right decision. This is not difficult. So per hardcore Marlins fans being upset? They don't understand baseball if they don't see how bad this team is and how necessary trading at minimum Arraez, Luzardo, and Scott is to start aiming for 2025. Being upset is a kneejerk reaction. This season is over. Pull the plug. Be critical on the names they get, not the concept that these trades must be done.

Comment

Luzardos value hasn’t changed as he has a 6.58 era and is on the injured list with an elbow injury. Scott has 14 walks in 13 innings after 24 walks in 78 innings last year. Sure thing. Youre a Baghdad bob parody at this point.
                            Yes his value hasn't changed over 26 innings in 2024 (and he's going to be back in a week).

2.8 years of control left and will cost around $25m for potentially 500 innings you can get out of him for those years. He's fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post

Arraez WAR

2021: 1.6
                              2022: 2.8
                              2023: 3.5
                              2024 (so far): 0.0

But yeah Baseball America get wild with your 4+ WAR stuff
                              I was coming here next, but thank you. He's not a 4+ WAR player. He's not going to sniff 3 with his defense. Gonna have to hit A LOT at 1B to get over 3.

Comment

I don’t know. If I were looking at SP, Luzardo’s start to the season, and another injury would give me pause. He can rebuild his value, but will he? Scott CAN get his value back but 10 good innings is a big “if” at this point.

I’m just bitter because Bendix did essentially the one thing he couldn’t do in the offseason, which was nothing. They should have probably added to try and build off of a playoff run, but with the Sandy circumstances and a shitty owner, the other option was to sell. Doing neither gets you where we’re at now, and the moves are no less popular now than they would have been in the offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X