X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine Talking to Marlins

OMG OMG OMG OMG

This would make my day

At a time when Bobby Valentine has begun the process of talking with teams about a possible return as a manager in Major League Baseball, sources said he is in communication with the Florida Marlins about a possible position with that team -- less than eight months after Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez received a two-year extension.

Gonzalez, 45, has managed the Marlins the last two seasons after replacing Joe Girardi, and Florida has contended in both years. Gonzalez was named The Sporting News Manager of the Year in 2008. Gonzalez agreed to a two-year extension with the Marlins in spring training, and he is signed through the 2011 season.

However, there has been concern on the coaching staff this week after they were told that no decision has been made about whether to bring them back for 2010. Jeffrey Loria, the Marlins' owner, is meeting with club executives after the end of the regular season.

Valentine, 59, has managed the Texas Rangers for eight seasons and the Mets from 1996-2002, and over the last six seasons he has managed the Chiba Lotte Marines. Valentine recently returned to ESPN as a baseball analyst. He is a possible candidate for openings with both the Cleveland Indians and Washington.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4529494
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

is it too early to start a bobby valentine fan club?
    --------------------
    Bobby isnt gonna be cheap though
    Last edited by Fish and Chips; 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
    Originally posted by Matt Wilson
    Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
    Tom Koehler(4-0)
    AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

heh, sounds about right

Comment

Unless there is a problem in the clubhouse........why?

Comment

Fredi's job isn't safe?

You mean baseball god is real?

Comment

Originally posted by Festa View Post
            Unless there is a problem in the clubhouse........why?
            Because Valentine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fredi?

Comment

How so?

Everyone is still going to bitch about the same shit.
              --------------------
              Also, I'll admit I don't know much about Bobby V's in game management. All I remember from his Mets days were the mustache and the fits he threw. But considering how successful he has been in the Nippon League I'm gon have to say he is good.

If this happens, it will be a clubhouse thing. Fredi hasn't been epic fail in his bullpen/in-game management and he has done everything I suspect the FO is responsible for (Boner, Lindstrom, etc).

Why do I suspect we'll be right back here at the end of next year?
              Last edited by Party; 10-03-2009, 11:07 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'll probably hate Bobby too

managers are all idiots

Comment

Can we trade managers with Tampa Bay?

Comment

yeah why do people like Bobby V seriousl question?

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
                      yeah why do people like Bobby V seriousl question?
                      Because he hasn't managed in the majors in a while.
                      poop

Comment

Bobby V isn't gonna be a puppet to the front office like Fredi is.
                        I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlinsfan4lyfe View Post
                          Bobby V isn't gonna be a puppet to the front office like Fredi is.
                          That was exactly my thought. I figured the front office would be happy with the job Fredi is doing....I don't really know why they'd be looking for a replacement already. If you keep replacing guys who are winning (Girardi, Gonzalez) it's not going to make it an attractive place for coaches to come to.

Comment

If there is something to this story, it makes me wonder if there might be some friction between Fredi and our superstar. Otherwise, I cannot figure out why Fredi's job wouldn't be safe. He'd be a lot cheaper than Valentine, he's obedient to the FO and, even though I don't think he's an exceptionally smart manager, it's hard to argue with the results he's achieved with the lowest payroll team.

Comment

Juan Rodriguez gave his opinion on this:

Bobby Valentine? Seriously?

That's the word according to ESPN's Buster Olney, who is reporting the Marlins are talking to Valentine about a job. Olney's sources don't specify what kind of job, but what position could the Marlins possibly offer Valentine that would pique his interest?

Valentine has been managing in Japan the last several years and appears primed for a return to the majors -- presumably as a manager. Even if Gonzalez was at odds with the front office, which he isn't, Valentine is the last guy I could see the Marlins hiring. The Marlins like to keep things quiet and fly under the radar.That's not Bobby Valentine, plus they signed Gonzalez to a two-year extension through 2011 during spring training.

So what about a coaching job? The Marlins have not yet spoken to any of their coaches about next season, which is peculiar considering they usually get them re-signed the final weekend of the season. President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest said Saturday afternoon the team is a little behind on everything because of being in the race and stadium stuff.

I can't imagine Valentine would settle for a coaching job. And even if he would, what does it say about how the Marlins feel about Gonzalez if they saddled him someone like Valentine who is in it to manage again?

Very odd.
                              Interest in Bobby Valentine?

Comment

Working...
                              X