Marlins trade Kyle Barraclough to Nationals for IFA money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scou...aston-workout/

Victor Victor Mesa, 22, looks to have retained the sort of physicality he possessed the last several years in Cuba. He ran his 60-yard dash in about 6.5 seconds (give or take a few hundredths of a second, depending on the stopwatch), which is in the 65-70 range on the 20-80 scale, and he’s a 60 runner in games as he was in the past, while his arm remains above average.

Mesa hit some balls out to his pull side during batting practice, showing 50-grade raw power, but he has a linear, contact-oriented swing that we think will lead to below-average power output in games. There’s no question he can hit, defend, and add value on the bases, but there’s real doubt about the game application of his power. In aggregate, it looks like an average to slightly below-average offensive profile on an above-average defender at a premium position. Scouts think Mesa is a low-risk, moderate impact prospect who should be ready for the big leagues relatively soon. He garners frequent comparisons to Cubs CF Albert Almora. There’s a chance Mesa has a three-win season or two at peak, but expectations are more of a solid 1.5- to 2.0-win type player. He’s a 45+ FV on our July 2nd version of THE BOARD, which would be somewhere in the 130 to 175 range overall in the minors.

Mesa’s talent would typically be valued between $5 million and $10 million (depending on market conditions when he became a free agent) in the prior, non-pooled international environment, and that would come with a matching tax for exceeding pool limitations, so call it about $15 million in a total outlay. That kind of money isn’t available on the July 2 market anymore. The lack of comparable talents still available at this point, however, could help Mesa earn a larger bonus than Shohei Ohtani ($2.3 mil) did last year, even though Mesa isn’t nearly as talented, because everyone with money left wants to land him. We consider the Marlins the favorites to do so.
    Cuban righty Sandy Gaston, just 16, ranked 20th on our July 2nd board as the lowest 40 FV, and he was the clear second-most interesting prospect at the event. Kiley saw him in February when he topped out at 97 mph and flashed an average curve and change, but Gaston also sent four balls to the backstop in a one-inning showcase against other 16-year-olds. Last Friday, Gaston worked 94-97 with similar secondary stuff, but with better feel, particularly in his first inning. There’s still a reliever look to him due to his delivery and mature physicality, but at age 16, so much will change that you can’t project that with certainty at this point, and Gaston has one of the most talented pure arms in the world at his age.
    Victor Mesa, Jr. ran his 60-yard dash in the 6.9 second, which is average. He also showed a 55 arm and a linear swing geared more for contact. He’s 17, so there’s still room to project improvement based on maturing physicality, but he’s currently a tweener with hit and throw being his only above-average tools — and some scouts lower than that on the hit tool. On talent, we think he fits in the low, six-figure range.

Comment

Id really like to know if we know the number it will take to get all 3 or if we are just trying to get as much as possible and then figure out the exact number later. Given our SP depth i think straily is the guy id deal for the remaining money.

Comment

I always roll my eyes a little every time fish16 brings up our “starting pitching depth”.

I know he’s going to say we have eleven gazillion REALLY solid #4’s and that is arguably true but I still roll my eyes a little because our “starting pitching depth” gets mentioned a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          I always roll my eyes a little every time fish16 brings up our “starting pitching depth”.

I know he’s going to say we have eleven gazillion REALLY solid #4’s and that is arguably true but I still roll my eyes a little because our “starting pitching depth” gets mentioned a lot.
          like it or not we have a lot of upper league MLB ready starting pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            like it or not we have a lot of upper league MLB ready starting pitching.
            MLB ready? Even those who made the jump this past season were more question marks than performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Stone View Post
              MLB ready? Even those who made the jump this past season were more question marks than performance.
              Most young guys have questions marks and you need to give them innings once it's clear they don't need to work on stuff in AAA. They are ready as a group.

Ca. Smith, Richards, Pablo, Alcantara, and Brigham are definitely MLB ready with nothing left to prove in the minors. Fly or die.

Neidert, Peters, Gallen, Hernandez, Graves, and Quijada are going to be in AAA and basically ready to be moved up. They are all very close. With more guys like Guzman, Yamamoto, Beggs, Eveld, Dugger, Mills, etc. behind them and could all debut if they look good.

Once you throw in Urena, Straily, Chen, Steckenrider, Wittgren, and I guess Guerrero, they are in pretty good shape to fill out the staff. I say that in not having a playoff staff, but with reasonable guys to throw out there to see if they are longterm pieces.

They have real depth, they are just missing a # 1 and 2 SP, and maybe even a # 3. Practically, if five #4 SP and a good bullpen emerges next year, that's a pretty good development for the organization. That sets the stage for a big free agent acquisition, and hopefully getting another high end SP out of Rogers/E.Cabrera/Garret/Realmuto trade asset/etc. That turns things around fast.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post

I can see it both ways, but I view it as they have legitimate arms to try out on the MLB level for basically 2 full years right now.

While they do need # 1-2 SP, developing guys 3-13 on the staff internally would be fantastic.

Trevor Rogers was throwing fire at the end of the year (K/9, FIP), so we can hope. Garret is coming back too. I'm optimistic with those two breaking out into an elite pitching prospect. Maybe they get lucky with one of Alcantara, Guzman, and E. Cabrera not being a reliever too. We'll see.

Comment

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins received $1mm in international funds in the trade of Kyle Barraclough to the Nationals.

That brings the Marlins' total to right around $5.5 million dollars.
                Rotoworld blurb.

So that seems objectively a little low (I figured it was going to be closer to $2 million), but if that bridges the delta to the kids, maybe the end result makes sense even if this in a vacuum seems dumb.

I'm going to hold judgment until we see what they do, but weird.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Rotoworld blurb.

So that seems objectively a little low (I figured it was going to be closer to $2 million), but if that bridges the delta to the kids, maybe the end result makes sense even if this in a vacuum seems dumb.

I'm going to hold judgment until we see what they do, but weird.
                  Apparently the Lillie deal brought in 750k.

They had 4.3 before. 4.3+1M = 5.3+750k= 6.05, no?

Not sure where the 5.5 comes from?

Comment

So we got $750K for Lillie and only $1M for Barraclough, am I missing something here?

I realize the 2nd half of this year was about as rough as it can get for a pitcher, but he still has great stuff, and had been a very effective reliever in the 3 years prior to July of this last season.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
                      So we got $750K for Lillie and only $1M for Barraclough, am I missing something here?

I realize the 2nd half of this year was about as rough as it can get for a pitcher, but he still has great stuff, and had been a very effective reliever in the 3 years prior to July of this last season.
                      Because Marlins.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        Apparently the Lillie deal brought in 750k.

They had 4.3 before. 4.3+1M = 5.3+750k= 6.05, no?

Not sure where the 5.5 comes from?
                        You're right, that doesn't add up. News article is probably wrong on some numbers, whether that's Lillie or Barracloughs, or both.

Comment

I think Barraclough's noticeable drop in velocity sapped his market value a lot. His fastball velocity has dropped 1 mph each of the last 2 years. Makes not trading him at the deadline even dumber. Id be very interested to see what offers we had at the deadline for him.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also maybe the fact that he is arbitration eligible is the reason he didnt get much more than Lillie? other than that and the velocity i dont get the small difference in IFA cash between him and Lillie.
                          Last edited by fish16; 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X