• Show
Clear All

• Marlins trade Justin Bour to Phillies

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
    Following Following @Ken_Rosenthal
    More
    #Phillies acquiring 1B Justin Bour and cash from #Marlins for a minor-league pitcher, sources tell The Athletic.

11:06 AM - 10 Aug 2018

- - - - - - - - - -

My guess is DD plays first and Dean gets called up to play LF.

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
    Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
    More
    #Phillies acquiring 1B Justin Bour and cash from #Marlins for a minor-league pitcher, sources tell The Athletic.

11:06 AM - 10 Aug 2018
    There had better be IFA money coming as well. I'm not holding out hope, though. I'm sure this is another whiff by Mike Hill.

It's pretty surprising that no other teams put a waiver claim in for him, though.

Comment

Trades like this are definitely worthy of their own threads.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I still feel like I don't quite understand waiver trading. Surprised he passed waivers. I guess maybe he didn't pass waivers and the Phillies claimed him and they worked out a deal, but still a lot of teams passed a career .800+ OPS first baseman making $3.4 million.

Comment

Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          I still feel like I don't quite understand waiver trading. Surprised he passed waivers. I guess maybe he didn't pass waivers and the Phillies claimed him and they worked out a deal, but still a lot of teams passed a career .800+ OPS first baseman making $3.4 million.
          Yeah, apparently the Phillies claimed him and then they worked out a deal. The process seems unnecessarily complicated.

Comment

So.........Bour and cash traded to the Phillies for a minor league pitcher?

He cleared waivers?

Comment

Hopefully whoever they got is good?

Seems very random.

Comment

Holy shit that escalated quickly. Lets see what player we got.

- - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if we paid cash to acquire a better prospect. Bour should absolutely mash in philly. Great guy in his time here and wish him well.

Comment

Wow unexpected. I puke like deetz to get full time 1b. And Cooper in OF. Will probably be opposite though.
                  "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                  - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
                    More
                    Bour owed about $900K, the balance of his $3.4M salary. Two years of control after this, so #Phillies might trade or non-tender him. #Marlins could have simply let him go on trade waivers, but included cash in deal to acquire minor-league pitcher. Not simply giving him away.

11:19 AM - 10 Aug 2018

Comment

Just some guys on the top prospect list from mlb.com tht would make sense: Moniak (severe buy low), Luis Garcia (17 year old GCL SS crushing it), Dylan Cozens?

Interested to see who we got, especially giving up cash in the deal.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
                      3m3 minutes ago
                      More
                      Bour owed about $900K, the balance of his $3.4M salary. Two years of control after this, so #Phillies might trade or non-tender him. #Marlins could have simply let him go on trade waivers, but included cash in deal to acquire minor-league pitcher. Not simply giving him away.
                      Its a pitcher

- - - - - - - - - -

Maybe Cole Irvin?

- - - - - - - - - -

Jerry Crasnick

Verified account

@jcrasnick
                      1m1 minute ago
                      More
                      The #Marlins are covering half of Justin Bour's remaining salary this year in today's deal to get a pitching prospect in return from #Phillies, source says. Bour is owed about $990k more, as Ken Rosenthal has reported. Trade will be announced once the prospect has been informed.
                      Why the hell is bour being discussed like he is some obvious non-tender candidate who we are lucky to get a prospect for? Guy doesnt have position versatility but he is about as consistent of a hitting option as you could find out there and has 2 years of team control left.

Comment

As a 1st baseman you have to consistenly OPS over .850 to have legitimate value given the inability to move positions. Bour last year at this time would've netted a solid prospect. Hes still valuable because of service time but his mediocre stats make him a middle to bottom tier starting 1B in the league.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Guessing we got a pitcher Denbo liked since we gave up cash. 6'10 lefty kyle young makes sense, as does a 2nd rounder from last year in A ball Spencer Howard. Both had great years but Young is currently injured.

Comment

Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                            Hopefully whoever they got is good?

Seems very random.
                            I would hope it is a good pitcher since they are giving up Bour and $450K to acquire him.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                              Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
                              More

11:19 AM - 10 Aug 2018
                              So basically, don't expect a quality return, lol. I'll wait to see what we got, but I don't understand trading him for nothing, if that's in fact what they did. I fully expect him to increase his value in that bandbox of a ballpark, and for Philly to trade him next year for real value.

Comment

Working...
                              X