X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    No one does. Was destroying it with NYY then traded to Cincy and sucked

We also signed Sean Burnett as a LOOGY option. If healthy a nice signing
    Ive always liked him but he's had a lot of injuries the last few years. I cant believe he's still in the league, i remember him as a good pirates prospect way way back.

Comment

• I just like how they are adding talent. Years past Jagielo would have been released,not even talked to us and we would have signed some 33 yr old guy.

Wish we hit the DFA harder but so far I like the ideas. Now we just gotta move the 24/25 yr olds up to AA to see if worth anything

Comment

I just like how they are adding talent. Years past Jagielo would have been released,not even talked to us and we would have signed some 33 yr old guy.

Wish we hit the DFA harder but so far I like the ideas. Now we just gotta move the 24/25 yr olds up to AA to see if worth anything
        Im of the opinion that we should be churning through players right and left at the end of our 25 and 40 man roster consistently over the next year or 2. Guys that are clearly not part of the future or dont have trade value and should be gotten rid of and just keep taking swings at guys and hope for the best. You never know when you might get a guy like an Arrieta or a Hendricks or even a Bour type guy who holds down a roster spot for years. Especially in a rebuild and especially given some of the guys on our 40 man.

Guys on our 40 man who could be DFA'd and either wouldnt be a huge loss or would clear waivers are guys like returning Graves after spring, Nicolino, Wallach, I think Telis would clear waivers, Needy, Nola. If you identify an interesting talent go for it and just keep churning the roster. Especially once the deadline hits and we have several roster spots available hopefully when we trade a bunch of guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
          Im of the opinion that we should be churning through players right and left at the end of our 25 and 40 man roster consistently over the next year or 2. Guys that are clearly not part of the future or dont have trade value and should be gotten rid of and just keep taking swings at guys and hope for the best. You never know when you might get a guy like an Arrieta or a Hendricks or even a Bour type guy who holds down a roster spot for years. Especially in a rebuild and especially given some of the guys on our 40 man.

Guys on our 40 man who could be DFA'd and either wouldnt be a huge loss or would clear waivers are guys like returning Graves after spring, Nicolino, Wallach, I think Telis would clear waivers, Needy, Nola. If you identify an interesting talent go for it and just keep churning the roster. Especially once the deadline hits and we have several roster spots available hopefully when we trade a bunch of guys.
          That is Denbos plan. If this was LY we would likely have claimed Tommy Joseph as backup 1B/OF however this year u got SVS and Cooper. They have their eyes on a few younger arms from what I have heard and have talked Nicolino and Conley with teams for other arm options

Just saying its nice to see. The lazy ass FO in the past few years would have just signed 15-20 28 yr olds crap to play in the AA/A but this year most the guys we signed/gotten are 25 for AA and they have some talent

Comment

That is Denbos plan. If this was LY we would likely have claimed Tommy Joseph as backup 1B/OF however this year u got SVS and Cooper. They have their eyes on a few younger arms from what I have heard and have talked Nicolino and Conley with teams for other arm options

Just saying its nice to see. The lazy ass FO in the past few years would have just signed 15-20 28 yr olds crap to play in the AA/A but this year most the guys we signed/gotten are 25 for AA and they have some talent
            Id really like to see us try and claim or trade for a backup C with some promise before the year starts. Im sure he will be on the team but id just prefer if we moved on from Telis. I thought he had promise at one point but he just doesnt have anything in his bat at the major league level, and Wallach has been terrible in the spring. At the end of spring id be looking for lefty relievers, low key starters who might be out of options on their current team, and backup catchers.

- - - - - - - - - -

Btw, its so late into spring training that we dont have enough time to sign a SP who can be on the roster opening day and that is a complete failure by the front office particularly in this free agency climate this offseason. There were/are so many guys out there for discounts and if we didnt sign anyone and then put Alcantara in the rotation to start the year simply just because we dont have enough MLB caliber options right now that is beyond pathetic. Ill give it time until it is official, and i could totally see us trading or claiming for someone right before the year starts, but if Alcantara is in the rotation to start the year that is an unbelievable example of mismanagement.

Acuna just got sent down by the braves. They get an extra year of team control by sending him down until April 13 or so. I really am struggling to believe that the marlins would be so conscious of developing a consistent sustainable organization all offseason and then keep Brinson and alcantara on the roster to start the year. Like they cant possibly be that short sighted, right? Dont answer that.

Comment

• https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/mar...me/c-269110562

Interesting notes on Hernandez. Seems like he will start the year on the DL with his oral surgery. That should buy them a little bit of time, but it certainly seems like he will be kept, and according to Mattingly, in the rotation.

Comment

• All in on Richards

for the rotation. Straily pitched four innings vs. Nats farmhands today. His results were almost identical to Richards vs. the big league team.

Comment

• What could the other dental work have been for Hernandez? Wisdom teeth is a few day thing. But yet another option for the rotation gone. Im praying for the last 3 to go to Despaigne, Smith/Turner with the other one being the long man, and Nicolino. Any idea of any other guys who might be out of options that we can pick up at the end of spring?

- - - - - - - - - -

Also think the team is overthinking it with trying to hide Straily vs the nats big league team but whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                    What could the other dental work have been for Hernandez? Wisdom teeth is a few day thing. But yet another option for the rotation gone. Im praying for the last 3 to go to Despaigne, Smith/Turner with the other one being the long man, and Nicolino. Any idea of any other guys who might be out of options that we can pick up at the end of spring?

- - - - - - - - - -

Also think the team is overthinking it with trying to hide Straily vs the nats big league team but whatever.
                    I have no issue with the handling of Straily. It's not an uncommon thing to do. Plus, it allows Straily to get his work in early in the day.

As for Hernandez, if you've had your wisdom teeth out, it can take up to a week to be able to eat solid foods. Nutrition is important for a professional athlete...and I can't imagine throwing a baseball 90+ mph would feel too great in that condition either. Not to mention he would have missed a week of building up his arm. So it likely would take him an extra 2 weeks to catch up to where he would have been without the surgery.
                    Last edited by fauowls44; 03-19-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                      I have no issue with the handling of Straily. It's not an uncommon thing to do. Plus, it allows Straily to get his work in early in the day.

As for Hernandez, if you've had your wisdom teeth out, it can take up to a week to be able to eat solid foods. Nutrition is important for a professional athlete...and I can't imagine throwing a baseball 90+ mph would feel too great in that condition either. Not to mention he would have missed a week of building up his arm. So it likely would take him an extra 2 weeks to catch up to where he would have been without the surgery.
                      I had my tonsils removed and that sucked for a good week to week and a half, and I’ve heard tonsils are worse, so no it’s definitely not a “3 day thing.”

Comment

• [Im praying for the last 3 to go to Despaigne, Smith/Turner with the other one being the long man, and Nicolino.

Why? I guess I'm alone, but I'm confident that Richards is ready to be better than these others. Despaigne's high walk rate/low K numbers guarantee that he'll give up too many runs. Smith and Turner haven't shown any ability to baffle. I guarantee that Richards and Meyer will be there soon, so why not win from the get-go? Peters will find his command soon. Lopez is a starter by July. These guys are good!

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post

ive had my wisdom teeth out and it didnt take me a week but ya i get it.

Comment

• just disappointing to see Cahill get 1.25M and Hellickson a minor league deal and we're going to waste a year of Alcantara due to a strong spring
                            Originally posted by Madman81
                            Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                              just disappointing to see Cahill get 1.25M and Hellickson a minor league deal and we're going to waste a year of Alcantara due to a strong spring
                              Alcantara optioned to AAA this morning along with Wittgren and Lee. That leaves Despainge, Smith, Turner, and Nicolino in the mix for the 3-5 spots. I'm fairly confident that Despainge will get a spot in the rotation...possibly Smith as well. But there has to be better options out there than Nicolino and Turner...I'm hoping we are scouring the market for another veteran starter at this point. I suppose they could also be waiting on Hernandez to return.
                              Last edited by fauowls44; 03-20-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Thank the lord.

- - - - - - - - - -

Im guessing we go with Nicolino for a few starts just to prove himself, Despaigne, and then claim a 5th starter or trade for one before the year starts.

Comment

Working...
                                X