Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
    Still see him as a RP but could be a nice LR/Spot guy

Would rather see if they could trade a DSL guy for his rights and send him to AA but they have to keep him
    weirdly he looks ready. He reminds me of Pablo lopez a little because if you go look at each of their stats the have had great stats everywhere theyve been except for the hitters paradise california league. I think he has starter potential and at least solid reliever.

Comment

• Isan Diaz and Starlin Castro with HR’s today. Diaz’s HR, in particular, was impressive. Went opposite field off of Wacha with the wind blowing in.

Comment

• Whats the deal with Chen btw? Are we just resigned to the fact that this guy is just never gonna pitch?

Comment

Still see him as a RP but could be a nice LR/Spot guy

Would rather see if they could trade a DSL guy for his rights and send him to AA but they have to keep him
          Seems like a pretty easy trade as a rational team can't call the Marlins bluff about keeping him.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
            Whats the deal with Chen btw? Are we just resigned to the fact that this guy is just never gonna pitch?
            Yes.

But I like the idea of turning him into a reliever. Who cares about his contract. If they can get 75+ good innings out of him over say 45 appearances, that's a win

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
              First, we all hate MLB pipeline.

Second, another honest question. I'll ask in a hypothetical:

Let's give Alcantara a 15% change of becoming a stud # 2SP/top closer, a 15% chance he is decent 3/4 SP or good 3rd RHP in the pen, and a 20% chance he is a whatever reliever. Other 50% is a bust/non MLB. 50% chance Alcantara is a MLB player.

Let's say Pablo has a 10% chance of being a # 5 SP and a 50% chance of being a non-top option reliever. 60% chance Pablo is a MLB player.

Who is the better prospect. Pablo with a higher floor and less bust potential, or Alcantara because of the higher ceiling.

This is also subjective, I am just trying to understand you.
              As I've said, unless Alcantara can significantly improve on the 2/1 K/W rate he has shown, he has a zero chance of helping as a reliever or starter. On the other hand, if Pablo Lopez maintains anything close to his 6K/1W ratio, he will definitely be a great asset. Commentary on Alcantara by John Sickles: "6) Sandy Alcantara, RHP, Grade B/B-: Age 22, signed by St. Louis Cardinals out of Dominican Republic in 2013, traded to Marlins in Marcell Ozuna deal; posted 4.31 ERA with 106/54 K/BB in 125 innings in Double-A, 125 hits; threw eight innings of relief in MLB, with 4.32 ERA, 10/6 K/BB; hard-thrower at 95-100 MPH; both slider and change-up flash as a quality pitches but are inconsistent, as is his command; unclear if he starts or relieves in the long run; to be honest the numbers do not support a grade this high but my intuition says to give the arm strength another year; your mileage may vary: ETA late 2018."

On Elieser Hernandez as a rotation candidate: Remember, Hernandez reached A+ ball last year. He was nowhere near as successful as Richards, Meyer, Lopez, Gonzalez, or even Yamamoto, all of whom have been sent to minor league camp.
              Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-11-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Brian anderson with an opposite field 3 run HR today. He's gonna be the opening day 3b. Excited to see what he does this year.

Comment

• Gotta be excited about what Anderson and Brinson are doing this spring.

Comment

• I think Anderson can definitely be a nice 3b of the future. I see 20-25 HR potential, .800 OPS type with solid defense. Never a star but a really solid long term starter.

Comment

• First knee contusion and now back contusion. JT better make it to the trade deadline

Comment

First knee contusion and now back contusion. JT better make it to the trade deadline
                        I hope so too, but i just want people to be ready for the likelihood that we wont end up being able to dump every single guy we hope to dump by the deadline. there is gonna be a mix of injuries/ineffectiveness out of at least a few of the guys we're interested in dealing. hopefully we can keep it to a minimum.

- - - - - - - - - -

phils close to signing Arrieta. Stupid signing for them i think but hopefully that gets the pitching market moving and we can sign someone soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
                          I hope so too, but i just want people to be ready for the likelihood that we wont end up being able to dump every single guy we hope to dump by the deadline. there is gonna be a mix of injuries/ineffectiveness out of at least a few of the guys we're interested in dealing. hopefully we can keep it to a minimum.

- - - - - - - - - -

phils close to signing Arrieta. Stupid signing for them i think but hopefully that gets the pitching market moving and we can sign someone soon.
                          This is what Denbo has planned for us in 2020. Get everything cheap and then have cash to spend on a #1 arm or needs like SS/C

Not really a stupid signing for Philly. They give up 3rd Rd pick and have a #1 SP for 3 years. Budget still under 100 million and will be for next few years

Comment

This is what Denbo has planned for us in 2020. Get everything cheap and then have cash to spend on a #1 arm or needs like SS/C

Not really a stupid signing for Philly. They give up 3rd Rd pick and have a #1 SP for 3 years. Budget still under 100 million and will be for next few years
                            I think the problem is Arrieta is a super regression candidate, especially after this season. I'm pretty sure most of us could hypothetically spend $75 million better over 3 seasons.

For instance, I would rather have Chatwood, LuCroy, Moustakas, and $25 million to spend next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              I think the problem is Arrieta is a super regression candidate, especially after this season. I'm pretty sure most of us could hypothetically spend $75 million better over 3 seasons.

For instance, I would rather have Chatwood, LuCroy, Moustakas, and $25 million to spend next year.
                              Agreed just saying they had the money in the budget and now have a #1 SP. I wouldn't touch Arrieta for that price but they got what they needed

Comment

• I like the idea, i just think the contract is a year longer than i would have preferably gone with Arrieta. He scares me as a free agent signing. If I were them i would have gone with Cobb. Probably not as high of a ceiling but lower variance. But maybe a team like the phillies going for a higher ceiling makes sense so what the hell do i know.

Comment

Working...
                                X