Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
    The Rockies are signing Ian Desmond.
    To play 1B. They lose 1st Rd Pick which means we are up to #13(for now)

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
      Jeff Locke signed, so there's your rotation

Conley, Chen, Volquez, Koehler, Locke
      A very Marlins signing. "Going For It!" but not really.

Jason Hammel last 3 years combined WAR: 5.6

Jeff Locke: 2.1

Locke with a shiny 4.91 xFIP last year.

My initial knee jerk reaction is I hate this
      Last edited by Namaste; 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• If he's in a long-relief role/spot-starter, that's fine. He's probably an upgrade to Nicolino/Urena. If he's in the rotation out of Spring Training it's a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ¿NICK? View Post
          If he's in a long-relief role/spot-starter, that's fine. He's probably an upgrade to Nicolino/Urena. If he's in the rotation out of Spring Training it's a problem.

Likely #5 guy. They like him cause of what Benedict did with him(they think he can get him back) and only 1 year. Hammel is likely out of price range. Locke cost 3 million and lets us have cash to spend in other places. Super Pen!!!

Comment

• A 1-year $3 million contract doesn't strike me as a contract you'd give a guy who is guaranteed to be in the rotation. It's more like what you would pay a long-reliever.

Yes, I'm aware we're talking about the Marlins here, but trying to be somewhat optimistic in this case.

Comment

If he's in a long-relief role/spot-starter, that's fine. He's probably an upgrade to Nicolino/Urena. If he's in the rotation out of Spring Training it's a problem.

I could be wrong but I think in Loria's mind, he just rounded out his starting rotation for 2017.

Comment

• That would be frustrating if they give this guy a spot in the rotation without trying Phelps in the rotation first. Especially if we do actually go out and get one of the big name relief pitchers.
                Last edited by Nick; 12-07-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Mattingly just said today that they feel Phelps makes the most impact in the bullpen. He's not going to be in the rotation.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                  A very Marlins signing. "Going For It!" but not really.

Jason Hammel last 3 years combined WAR: 5.6

Jeff Locke: 2.1

Locke with a shiny 4.91 xFIP last year.

My initial knee jerk reaction is I hate this
                  xFIP: 3.90 in 2014, 3.94 in 2015

stopped throwing his breaking ball last season (~16% usually to ~6% last year), imagine that'll be the first thing they work on

I actually like this signing a lot

- - - - - - - - - -

I mean, we're clearly going the '15 Royals approach. Hope for a starter ERA of around 4.25 and get 5.2 out of them, on average, and then shut it down with the bullpen.

Comment

A 1-year $3 million contract doesn't strike me as a contract you'd give a guy who is guaranteed to be in the rotation. It's more like what you would pay a long-reliever.

Yes, I'm aware we're talking about the Marlins here, but trying to be somewhat optimistic in this case.
                    Why u think they signed him so quick? Jeff probably heard 3 million and said sign him. They were talking to Fister and Hammel on deals over 22 million. They get a #5 guy who with Benedict looked solid, is better than Urena and Nicolino and lets them use other cash on a RP or a bat

With the 10 Day DL-u can skip guys in the rotation and use matchups even more now. Urena,Nicolino,Cervenka,Ellington,Wittgren can all be sent down and can put Locke,McGowan,Uehara/Tazawa for minor injuries if needed
                    Last edited by tjfla; 12-07-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Mattingly just said today that they feel Phelps makes the most impact in the bullpen. He's not going to be in the rotation.

- - - - - - - - - -

xFIP: 3.90 in 2014, 3.94 in 2015

stopped throwing his breaking ball last season (~16% usually to ~6% last year), imagine that'll be the first thing they work on

I actually like this signing a lot
                      Mattingly also said they're working on a few things when asking about starters (this was after the Locke signing was announced).

Comment

• I like that Mattingly genuinely seems to know whats going on. At least the front office and manager are on the same page (even if you don't like the book), for a change.

Comment

I like that Mattingly genuinely seems to know whats going on. At least the front office and manager are on the same page (even if you don't like the book), for a change.
                          I would say more that Jeff is listening to Mattingly than anything. Reason we are in on AJ Ellis is cause Mattingly likes him and told Jeff to target him. Same with Jansen

Amazing when someone who has no clue about talent listens to someone who does

Comment

• #NewMathis

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                              The Rockies are signing Ian Desmond. It's a 5-year/$70M deal, with a 6th year option bumping it to $83M potentially.
                              Desmond breakdown $8M in 17 followed by $22M, $15M, $15M, $8M

Looks like a Marlins type deal

Comment

• I hope Locke is the de facto 6th SP. They don't need a third lefty in the rotation. I think Chapman, Ramos, Phelps, Barraclough, Wittgren, Locke, and McGowan is one hell of a bullpen. Ellington, Cervenka, Urena, and Nicolino is a pretty good call up squad.

Although I suspect Ramos or Phelps will be traded to cut costs and Ellington shifted in. I'm OK with that too.

I think I'd trade Ozuna+Ramos/Phelps for a good young SP and sign an outfielder and a lefty bashing 1B to help out DD/Ichiro/Bour in the last position player slots, and that's looking like a pretty good team on paper considering the circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                X