Miami Marlins 2016 Offseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fish16 View Post
    Also, if we had the foresight that we wanted to build a super bullpen, why the fuck did we give Carter Capps away for nothing, or if we were going to trade him, why not the year before when the yankees were thinking about giving us judge for him? Again, foresight and having a plan. Just have a consistent organizational philosophy and you would hear 0 complaints from me (that is a complete lie, i'll always find something to complain about, but just have a plan for once).
    I try not to think about past moves like that because I would probably stop being a fan if I did. Since we're on the topic, they also traded Sam Dyson for a catcher that they apparently do not believe in at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      I try not to think about past moves like that because I would probably stop being a fan if I did. Since we're on the topic, they also traded Sam Dyson for a catcher that they apparently do not believe in at all.
      lol, that one too. I would love to ask the front office what their philosophy is when it comes to the valuation of relief pitchers, because i think if you asked 20 different front office people, you'd get 20 different answers, and therein lies the problem.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago
      The #Marlins last bid for Aroldis Chapman was for $85 million, but most important, included opt out clauses after Year 1 and Year 2
      interesting.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just saw Napoli was a free agent again this year. Yes please. I thought we should have signed him last year. But a 1b where we have either him or Bour starting, with the other as our best bench off the bat with Dietrich? That is a great fucking move if we're going to spend some money.

Comment

• Ya the Chapman deal was interesting-he has to be selling. Get Chapman for 2 years,make some merch and if they suck he could have opted out

As for the Fister/Hammel talk-the reason why we havent signed them is because both want more than we gave Volquez(Well at this moment-prices could come down). They are looking to spend cash BUT dont wanna spend 11 mil for 2 or 3 years on a another starter. If there was a #1 or #2 starter on the market they would have but the FO doesnt see either of them as that.

The bat situation is weird. They know they need one however where do u play him??? Bour is pretty solid against RHP and until Stanton gets hurt in August the OF is set. U gonna sign a guy for 5-10 million to get a few AB's a week?

Comment

I think Encarnacion would be a fantastic signing, but he doesnt really have a position with us. I think he is a pure DH because he has been a fairly bad fielder all over. I think if we are going to sign a huge addition, i'd rather it be a huge bat rather than a closer. But i'm also just very anti-tradtional baseball in that I think finding a good closer is one of the easiest things in baseball, and if it's not going to put you over the top, spending the money elsewhere is the better move to me.

I'm in law school so i've had finals so i havent paid attention to the lesser free agent signings, but who is still available who would be a good platoon partner at 1b?
          That's why I was saying offer him a Cespedes-esque short term, high AAV deal with an opt out, so if he has a monster season, he'll opt out and only have to endure him as a full time 1B for a year. And front load it, so that he has more incentive to opt out.

Bour could then become our big bench bat, and give Encarnacion days off.

On a side note, while I like national league style of play, I think it's time for both leagues to have the DH....it allows AL teams to offer deals to players that NL teams can't match since we don't have the DH....now in some cases it ends up being a good thing, but others it extends the playing ability of some players.

Originally posted by fish16 View Post

I just saw Napoli was a free agent again this year. Yes please. I thought we should have signed him last year. But a 1b where we have either him or Bour starting, with the other as our best bench off the bat with Dietrich? That is a great fucking move if we're going to spend some money.
          I've been saying we should sign Napoli as a Bour platoon mate for months (and last year). I'd go for it.

- - - - - - - - - -

I think Encarnacion would be a fantastic signing, but he doesnt really have a position with us. I think he is a pure DH because he has been a fairly bad fielder all over. I think if we are going to sign a huge addition, i'd rather it be a huge bat rather than a closer. But i'm also just very anti-tradtional baseball in that I think finding a good closer is one of the easiest things in baseball, and if it's not going to put you over the top, spending the money elsewhere is the better move to me.

I'm in law school so i've had finals so i havent paid attention to the lesser free agent signings, but who is still available who would be a good platoon partner at 1b?
          That's why I was saying offer him a Cespedes-esque short term, high AAV deal with an opt out, so if he has a monster season, he'll opt out and only have to endure him as a full time 1B for a year. And front load it, so that he has more incentive to opt out.

On a side note, while I like national league style of play, I think it's time for both leagues to have the DH....it allows AL teams to offer deals to players that NL teams can't match since we don't have the DH....now in some cases it ends up being a good thing, but others it extends the playing ability of some players.

I've been saying we should sign Napoli as a Bour platoon mate for months (and last year). I'd go for it.

Comment

• Napoli wants 10 million. U gonna pay that for a platoon mate? Yes he would be perfect but u can't

If u gonna pay a guy 10 million he better be able to play the OF too so u can get him AB's

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by lou View Post
            I would say, because it shouldn't be an either or. It should be do all of it. Act like a team.

Sign Jansen.
            Sign Hammel or Fister
            Sign a good 1B/LF who can hit lefties
            Get a SS upgrade somehow
            Buy out Ozuna for 4-5 years
            Spend at least league average on international signings to replenish farm
            Draft talent in draft, not based on paying lower than slot like Naylor

Not starting a rant, just saying, it's great they are throwing around signing some real guys - I'd LOVE Kenley - but the frustration is if you're going to do things like that, don't put one foot in the pool. Kenley says you're going for it, Jeff Locke targeted for 30 starts doesn't inspire confidence (I like the deal for the record, but he needs more competition than Nicolino/Urena for a rotation spot, etc.).
            Agree with everything on your checklist

Hearing reason why Jeff Locke deal was done is because of work with Benedict(people have mentioned the curveball thing) and the fact with was for 3 million bucks. They didnt want to wait and have the price go up,sign him get him in program and see. If works out good and if not they will release him(Salty,Edwin Jackson)

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
              Napoli wants 10 million. U gonna pay that for a platoon mate? Yes he would be perfect but u can't

If u gonna pay a guy 10 million he better be able to play the OF too so u can get him AB's
              I would consider signing Encarnacion if they feel comfortable with him playing first, then see if some combo of Bour, Ramos, Hech, Ozuna, Dietrich could get you another good starter. This lineup needs another impact bat IMO.

Comment

• Mark Reynolds and Dae-Ho Lee are available as 1B platoon options.

Comment

• Count me among those who would like to see Jansen added. You don't like giving up a 1st, but it's probably less than 50/50 that the pick ever turns into anything worthwhile, and like it has been previously mentioned, if you trade Jansen you probably end up with a better prospect who is closer to the majors anyway. The risk is that Jansen ends up sucking, but it's Jeff's money so who gives a shit? Maybe that would be more incentive for him to sell.

Comment

• I'm ready for Jansen to decide. Checking updates is taking time away from more important things like being productive.

Comment

I would consider signing Encarnacion if they feel comfortable with him playing first, then see if some combo of Bour, Ramos, Hech, Ozuna, Dietrich could get you another good starter. This lineup needs another impact bat IMO.
                      U realize he would cost us our pick?

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                      I'm ready for Jansen to decide. Checking updates is taking time away from more important things like being productive.
                      Supposedly sometime this afternoon. He was waiting for Chapman's $ figure to come out and now his agent is trying to get close to that with Miami,LAD and Washington in

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                        I don't understand what you're getting at. The Marlins didn't have a chance at him. He was a Phillie once he accepted the qualifying offer.

Yeah, and we also lost Bour for 2+ months and Stanton for a while.....if they were able to remain in the lineup (even one of them), we probably don't fall off when we did and end up making the playoffs.

We did go after Chapman. We had the better offer. We were the runners-up for him. He wanted to be a Yankee. Not much you can do about that.

You're preaching to the choir here. We all know Loria sucks as an owner and constantly does this "go for it, dump everyone" cycle with largely no consistent plan in between that would result in sustained success. It all comes back to money as always. He's clearly not going to spend on the draft , etc. in order to build a good all around team as the Cubs have, and who knows if he'd be spending this money if we don't sign Jansen (meaning your alternative scenario might not be realistic anyway), so why complain when he finally does spend money?

Worst case scenario, Jansen is his usual great self, the team sucks, and we trade him. Closers have a ton of value in the middle of a race....we'd be able to get multiple top prospects for him, outweighing a single top draft pick.
                        What I'm getting at is Hellickson and his agent probably took the QO because they didn't think he'd make that kind of money elsewhere. We should have publically expressed interest or at least expressed it to his agent if we were willing to spend this kind of money on something we need a lot less than a starter.

There's also guys like Nova whom I'd much rather sign than another late relief arm.

With KB, Ramos, Steckenrider etc, Jansen just isn't necessary at that price. The only thing he does is allow us to deal Ramos which I'm guessing would almost definitely happen if he signed here at the deadline which is fine especially if we are out of the running as we could finally start fixing the minor league system. But that's about it. In any regard, I see this team being blown up within the next few seasons. As others have said succeeding with aging players and a MiLB system full of type Bs and Cs which will likely only have one maybe two top 100 prospects this year isn't sustainable and eventually needs to be addressed. I think his is our last season/half season before we do that.
                        Last edited by Benched; 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

U realize he would cost us our pick?

- - - - - - - - - -

Supposedly sometime this afternoon. He was waiting for Chapman's $ figure to come out and now his agent is trying to get close to that with Miami,LAD and Washington in
                          I'd be so much more content with losing a first round pick that will go to a full time position player that is capable of playing everyday and being an impact in the middle of our lineup every game rather than losing it by signing a closer when that is the easiest thing in the sport to find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            Mark Reynolds and Dae-Ho Lee are available as 1B platoon options.
                            Saw a tweet that said that with Ellis here, Realmuto could see time at 1B. Maybe we go with that and Dietrich?

Comment

• •The Marlins spoke to the Red Sox about Buchholz but balked at his salary, Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller

Same reason u havent heard much about Fister or Hammel. They want another SP just not at 10+million a year

Comment

•The Marlins spoke to the Red Sox about Buchholz but balked at his salary, Bleacher Report’s Scott Miller

Same reason u havent heard much about Fister or Hammel. They want another SP just not at 10+million a year
                                But they'll take a $17 mil closer. Failures.

Comment

Working...
                                X