This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spork5812 View Post
    I am waiting for someone to blow us away with a package like Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Eulogio De La Cruz, Dallas Trahern and Burke Badenhop.
    The problem is that only Maybin and Miller were anticipated difference-makers at the time of the trade (and Badenhop ended being the biggest contributor, go figure)

I told Hugg this morning before names started coming out that I don't do the deal unless it's Urias, Pederson, Peraza, Holmes or similar guy, and one more piece. Urias is 19 and although MLB ready a lot can happen with a kid that young. But with 4 potential difference makers at least you're hedging your bets. I don't need a Urias/Seager package to be happy because THAT is a Maybin/Miller deal, with two unproven young guys. Joc has solid MLB experience, although he slumped in the 2nd half, but he's a great athlete and I think even if the second half is his true self you take the 180+ Ks and .220 average to get the 30+ HRs and 100+ walks and, probably eventually, 10+ SBs. And for the love of all that's holy, you don't bat him leadoff here because we have an actual leadoff hitter.
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Update on Jose before work.

Even tho Mike Hill has said he is not available. They are still talking with 1 "Unspecifed" team-it's the Yankees!! Nothing is close but said to be making progress. Dodgers are out unless Corey Seager pops up in talks. They like Urias,Grant Holmes,De Leon and Joc but need more for Jose and Ozuna.

As far as Chapman,he won't be dealt to us or LA anytime soon. Looking at him for domestic violence!!

Comment

• Just curious what you all think a Jose trade would do to the fanbase? Is it one of those "straw that breaks the camel's back" moves that'll decimate what little fanbase is left, since he's so liked off the field coupled with his on-field performance, given it'd be another trade of a key player for a bunch of highly-rated prospects (the Cabrera deal was looked at the same way - a "good" trade, but we know how that worked out), or in other words a typical Marlins trade?

OR

(Assuming some of the guys they get back pan out) Is it a move that stings in the short term (losing Jose on/off field), but is eventually is overlooked because of how much the team improves?

---

I mean obviously the latter is the goal. But many people I'm sure won't be willing to look at the long term, and just see it as a typical Marlins move to dump another superstar.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
          Just curious what you all think a Jose trade would do to the fanbase? Is it one of those "straw that breaks the camel's back" moves that'll decimate what little fanbase is left, since he's so liked off the field coupled with his on-field performance, given it'd be another trade of a key player for a bunch of highly-rated prospects (the Cabrera deal was looked at the same way - a "good" trade, but we know how that worked out), or in other words a typical Marlins trade?

OR

(Assuming some of the guys they get back pan out) Is it a move that stings in the short term (losing Jose on/off field), but is eventually is overlooked because of how much the team improves?

---

I mean obviously the latter is the goal. But many people I'm sure won't be willing to look at the long term, and just see it as a typical Marlins move to dump another superstar.
          I feel it would need to turn into a consistent playoff caliber team for a 5 year stretch to get people to tolerate a losing season if Jose was trading because trading Jose will push most people that don't follow the team now further away.

Comment

• We have a two year window of competing lead by a top-5 (if not better) starter, a top-5 (if not better) hitter, and a top-5 (if not better) reliever.

We have very clear holes to fill in order to compete in that two year window.

So what will we do?

Make the hole even worse by trading the only SP that doesn't pitch like shit.

This is just retarded. I don't care about our return. It's retarded.

Whoever it was that said a player like Jose basically never hits the open market is right. He's invaluable.

Comment

• I enjoy the people on twitter saying Urias and Seager is too much for Jose. Get the fuck outta here.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                We have a two year window of competing lead by a top-5 (if not better) starter, a top-5 (if not better) hitter, and a top-5 (if not better) reliever.

We have very clear holes to fill in order to compete in that two year window.

So what will we do?

Make the hole even worse by trading the only SP that doesn't pitch like shit.

This is just retarded. I don't care about our return. It's retarded.

Whoever it was that said a player like Jose basically never hits the open market is right. He's invaluable.
                Oh, I agree, the talk is stupid too. They want to show people they're serious, they should do what they did with Stanton and sign him to a deal.....though of course they're not going to spend any money to fill the other hole though, so shrug.

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                I feel it would need to turn into a consistent playoff caliber team for a 5 year stretch to get people to tolerate a losing season if Jose was trading because trading Jose will push most people that don't follow the team now further away.
                Even then, I think the damage will be done, and many may not come back.....because you know they're not going to spend in any capacity (FA, draft, etc) to add to whatever new "core" (that they "won't trade") they have then.

Last year's trades aside (that killed the depth), it's just frustrating to see them finally hint at acting like a real franchise by locking up some core players last offseason, then to follow it up this offseason with nothing (so far) and talks of trading Jose and Ozuna....you know some of those "core" pieces they said they wouldn't move....

Comment

• they're gonna announce a Dee Gordon extension that will probably get ripped to shreds any day now

I'll be stunned if that one doesn't get done. I'm sure Dee's agent is smart enough to know this is the perfect time to get a long-term deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGG View Post
                    I enjoy the people on twitter saying Urias and Seager is too much for Jose. Get the fuck outta here.
                    Yeah that's been the best part. Apparently giving up top prospects is too much for one of the best pitchers in baseball who just so happens to be 23.

Comment

• I watched a lot of the Yankees this season. I'd be lining up to give them anyone in the system for Jose. If they're talking, I really question Cashman's judgment if he's drawing the line somewhere.

Comment

• Well looks like SD is off of Ozuna. They just got John Jay

As for Jose,the feeling is Jeff has no clue what to do with him. He doesn't wanna get rid of him because of popularity especially in Miami and thinks he will eventually sign long term. However alot of people are in his ear saying u could get 3 or 4 young ML guys for the next few years for him and will help with overall depth. Seager 3B.Urias and De Leon SP and Joc in CF

It looks like IF he is dealt it will be to NYY,LAD or Arizona tho. Their are issues with all 3 tho, NYY doesn't wanna deal Severino,LAD doesn't wanna deal Seager and Arizona doesn't have what we want(They are trying to convince us to take Pollack then try to move him and before anyone says he can be our CF- Pollock is 28 and getting ready to cash in)

- - - - - - - - - -

Also in talks with NYY the guys we are looking at are

Judge,Severino,Bryan Mitchell,Adam Warren,Greg Bird and Jagielo

Comment

• Jayson Stark says many believe the "mystery team" in on Fernandez is the Astros.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14320064

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- An unidentified fourth team is making a "very strong" bid to trade for Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez, sources told ESPN. Other clubs say they believe that mystery team is the Houston Astros, but neither team would confirm that Tuesday morning.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Yankees are all known to have spoken about Fernandez with the Marlins, who have said publicly that their ace is unavailable even while they continue to entertain trade talks about the 23-year-old right-hander.

The Astros would make sense as a trade partner because of Fernandez's age and relatively low salary, as a first-time arbitration-eligible player, along with Houston's depth of prospects and young players already in the major leagues.

Marlins president of baseball operations Mike Hill on Monday said his team wasn't making Fernandez available.

"He's not available," Marlins president Michael Hill told the Miami Herald on Monday. "We haven't made him available. But it doesn't stop the phone calls from coming."

Sources, however, said the team felt it was making progress toward a trade with an unidentified club. On Tuesday, sources who had previously described any deal as being still unlikely were no longer willing to say that.

Another source said the Marlins had set aside talks to trade center fielder Marcell Ozuna until they determined whether they can get an outfielder back in a trade for Fernandez, who is 22-9 in 47 major league starts with a 2.40 ERA and 336 strikeouts.
                          Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• They are really going to trade him aren't they.

Not in 2 years, like 2 weeks.

Comment

• Not a bad trade partner at all. Prospects/Young Players and have shown that they are willing to "overpay"

The "very strong" bid has said to been exactly what they wanted in a deal. Quality and Quantity wise

Like Stark said Arizona is probably out,Arizona made an offer of Corbin and Pollock which we said NO. They won't give up the 4/5 guys we wanted. NYY and LAD can jump back in anytime IF they put in Severino or Seager

- - - - - - - - - -
                              Last edited by tjfla; 12-08-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmc523 View Post
                                Just curious what you all think a Jose trade would do to the fanbase? Is it one of those "straw that breaks the camel's back" moves that'll decimate what little fanbase is left, since he's so liked off the field coupled with his on-field performance, given it'd be another trade of a key player for a bunch of highly-rated prospects.

The camels back is already broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X