Marlins trade Mat Latos, Mike Morse to LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGG View Post
    Austin Barnes is now the #10 C prospect in baseball, for the record.
    Yup/

Comment

Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
      And now you take out Heaney from the deal to make it look more convenient for your argument.
      Except we weren't talking about Heaney just now. And I had already edited my post anyway.

Comment

I mean, Realmuto's ceiling is higher. But just writing Barnes off is kinda silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
          Barnes is a catcher with an .869 OPS at AAA. He'd definitely be an upgrade as a backup catcher, and could project as a starter down the road.

Enrique Hernandez is a 23-year-old with a .746 OPS in the majors, who is on pace for 2.7 fWAR per 162 games this season -- 2.0 fWAR in 90 career games in the majors. He's a starting-caliber major-league player and the Marlins organization is very low on those.

Hatcher is whatever, totally expendable.

And Heaney would be the team's second-best starter right now.

Dee is awesome, but he's more of a low-700's OPS guy and his baserunning has been kinda abysmal this season for whatever reason. If he's more of a 3 WAR player than what he looked like for the first two months, then that trade looks kinda like a disaster.

Especially since they clearly threw in more young talent to get the Dodgers to cover Haren's contract. Which is, ultimately, the problem. They keep throwing away young talent because they can't operate like a real major-league team financially. That isn't acceptable or sustainable. You can throw away young talent if you have money. You can't do what the Marlins do.
          To be fair, you also have to include what Haren has done at the MLB level (which is good), and what trade assets they inevitably net for Haren.

I really don't think this will be a big deal. If Gordon is a 3 WAR 2B, that is pretty great. Heaney is going to have to be tremendous to overcome that, as it's really likely those other guys are platoon/bench guys at best.

Comment

Austin Barnes is now the #10 C prospect in baseball, for the record.
            He's also 25 and has yet to see the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by Valid View Post
              Except we weren't talking about Heaney just now. And I had already edited my post anyway.
              I obviously value those prospects more than you, they are not just "fodder." So we can just agree to disagree.

Comment

I obviously value those prospects more than you, they are not just "fodder." So we can just agree to disagree.
                I can pretty much assure you that if those players were still on the Marlins/in the Marlins' system, you wouldn't value them all that much. But hey; maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

He's also 25 and has yet to see the majors.
                  he's played in the majors this year

:D

Comment

What bothers me most about the Dee Gordon deal is that I believe they were given a choice between Heaney and Nicolino, and chose to trade Heaney because he was bad in a small sample here. It really says a lot about this organization if that's true.

Comment

I mean, Realmuto's ceiling is higher. But just writing Barnes off is kinda silly.
                      No one is writing him off. But I think it's kind of nitpicky to complain about him being included him a deal for one of the better second basemen in baseball.

Comment

Yeah, if that Heaney/Nicolino thing is true, it's just fucking ridiculous.

It's the only thing that really upsets me about that deal.

Comment

I can pretty much assure you that if those players were still on the Marlins/in the Marlins' system, you wouldn't value them all that much. But hey; maybe I'm wrong.
                          Maybe read Marlin Maniac some time, I talked highly of Barnes all the time. I liked Hatcher last year and wanted to see Kike become the every day second baseman rather than acquire someone else.

Comment

he's played in the majors this year

:D
                            That's my bad then. I was looking at his MILB Baseball Ref page by mistake...but okay, he has had 15 ABs.

- - - - - - - - - -

Maybe read Marlin Maniac some time, I talked highly of Barnes all the time. I liked Hatcher last year and wanted to see Kike become the every day second baseman rather than acquire someone else.
                            Fair enough.

Comment

Sure this trade may look bad, but it frees up more money for Loria to take to his grave and hoard, which is really what I care about as a sports fan.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                What bothers me most about the Dee Gordon deal is that I believe they were given a choice between Heaney and Nicolino, and chose to trade Heaney because he was bad in a small sample here. It really says a lot about this organization if that's true.
                                And that's the only thing that should truly bother anyone about the deal (if that rumor was even true).

Comment

Working...
                                X