Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Heaney, Hernandez, Barnes, Hatcher to Dodgers for Gordon, Haren, Rojas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that depends on what they gave up. If it was a replaceable second baseman with three good months of major-league play under his belt, we'd probably be happy.

I remember people being pretty happy about getting Hernandez thrown into the Cosart trade, for example.
    poop

Comment

• What's strange is Dan Haren hasn't even been notified that he's been traded yet.

Comment

• MLB Network is saying the trade is basically a way for both teams to get out of money, Dodgers out of Haren's contract and the Marlins getting the benefit of getting cash from Dodgers + his retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
          If we had gotten the other guys from any other team, we'd all be so pissed we got a bunch of no name prospects. All project to be a part of a big league roster isn't saying much. Bullpen, bench, easily replaceable.
          You could make a case that Kike Hernandez projects to be a better player than Dee Gordon.

And Kike Hernandez wasn't even the best player in the deal.
          --------------------
          And, as I stated in another thread, while I agree that a guy in the bullpen is easily replaceable (especially with the depth we have in the bullpen), giving one up for money to spend on a potential free agent is weird considering that we gave up assets to acquire a reliever just a couple of weeks ago. A reliever (Crow) who's more expensive and wasn't nearly as good as Hatcher last year.
          Last edited by Erick; 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I will not make that case. But someone could. We got a 2B and money for a top prospect pitcher that had a rough stretch, a bullpen guy and a couple bench players. I don't really understand why we're turning it into separate trades or a super weird thing.

New York Yankees traded LHP David Huff to San Francisco Giants for cash.
            Yankees don't have enough money

Comment

• It's a stupid trade, but probably not a disastrous trade.

Silver-Lining? Probably the end of Solano. I agree with the sentiment that Kike could very well be just as good as Gordon, but with this FO I could've very well seen us Dietrich Kike next year and go with Solano for some stupid-ass reason, at least there's stability and an above average 2nd baseman there now.

Heaney's tough to lose, but I really think he'll be a 3 at best, we'll see if he pans out. You would think we could've gotten the deal done without including Barnes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                I will not make that case. But someone could. We got a 2B and money for a top prospect pitcher that had a rough stretch, a bullpen guy and a couple bench players. I don't really understand why we're turning it into separate trades or a super weird thing.

Yankees don't have enough money
                I think you're smart enough to see the difference between those two moves.
                David Huff is a replacement level arm who was traded for cash that's not nearly as much as we got in this trade. Those types of trades happen all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                  The year our infield hit 25 homers each we didn't win anything
                  We won the second most games we had the past decade that year. The following year, that core won the most games we've won. Those two years were the years are the only winning record this club has had the past 9 years.

This FO has a .467 win percentage the past 9 years, with only two years of a winning record and not making the playoffs in 11 years now. And people are defending them? This is a track record of ineptitude.

Comment

• So what does this mean for Derek Deitrich?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      There's a fair chance Kike ends up as good or better than Gordon and Kike isn't the best prospect we're giving up.

Okay then.
                      Exactly. Sorry but Dee Gordon and his 86 OPS+ and below average defense isn't good just because he runs fast. Like, don't get me wrong, if he's close to last year than he's a solid regular sure. But Kike has a very fair chance of being a solid regular.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                      but I trust our FO.
                      What have they done to garner trust? Certainly not results.
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by BigGameFish View Post
                      for those WAR lovers on this board, Gordan was 10th among second basemen last season
                      ...out of 16 qualifed and with an unsustainable BABIP
                      Last edited by nny; 12-10-2014, 10:40 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yes, it is different but similar. David Huff is a major leaguer. Not a very good one - but a real one. These things do happen all the time. Why not take an extra guy off their hands and take some money with it also? Hatcher is a 30 year old bullpen guy coming off a good year. So long as we don't spend money on a bullpen guy to replace him, who cares. Barnes might end up being alright, he might be good. I don't see the purpose of turning it into two trades where we traded away prospects for money. If they actually do use that money or just use the money almost as a rationale for getting something else worthwhile, then good.

Comment

• I don't hate this deal nearly as much as many do.

There is whining when we trade MLB ready talent for prospects.

Today we got MLB ready talent for prospects.

If they add one more bat, we start the season with a reasonable expectation to grab one of the wild card spots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                            So what does this mean for Derek Deitrich?
                            It means the Marlins hate him so much they won't even trade him so he could get playing time somewhere else. They want him to suffer.

:D

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                              Exactly. Sorry but Dee Gordon and his 86 OPS+ and below average defense isn't good just because he runs fast. Like, don't get me wrong, if he's close to last year than he's a solid regular sure. But Kike has a very fair chance of being a solid regular.
                              --------------------
                              I don't think that's a fair way to compare.

Comment

• It's not the fact they traded for money, it's the appearance that the reason they made this trade over any other potential trades, the reason they got Haren in return, and the reason they gave up as much as they did, is because of the money they were getting was better here than in other situations. Couple that with the already notorious reputation of this ownership and you have something that just seems fishy. Granted, it's not a salary dump and Gordon is an upgrade over Solano and Dietrich but it just seems as if the club settled because the Dodgers were willing to give $12.5 million.
                                --------------------
                                Reckless prediction: If Morneau gets traded here, Dietrich goes to Colorado.
                                Last edited by thatnewguy; 12-10-2014, 10:50 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X