No announcement yet.

Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No big league camp invite according to reports.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I liked his power numbers in the minors.. And then I noticed he was in the Biogenesis report.

Comment

• Minor league deals can't do any harm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          No big league camp invite according to reports.
          That's a little surprising.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
            That Valdespin signing could maybe end up being a great move. There's some talent there.

Unless he acts like a mega dbag again.
            He will act like a mega dbag. It's not an if, it's a when.

But I agree there's some talent there. I was at the game when he popped a GS or a 3-run HR against us. He has very quick hands.

Comment

• Gotta love them quick hands, one time.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• @ChrisCotillo: Johan Santana is moving closer to signing a minor league deal somewhere, as @nickcafardo reported.
                Twitter

Drafted by fish, coming off injuries, gives us possible veteran presence in rotation, balances our rotation (LHP). I'll take him on an incentive laden contract (1 yr)

Comment

• he wasn't drafted by us, we picked him as a rule 5 pick and immediately traded him in a prearranged deal
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• They signed Slowey to a MILB deal. I imagine he's the 6th SP/bullpen long man failsafe.

Kind of feel Hand will be given first shot at SP5 to get a lefty in rotation (and believe he's out of options. He did have pretty ok production PCL/MLB last year) and put Koehler among the bullpen RHP with Cishek, Ramos, Capps, and Caminero.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                      They signed Slowey to a MILB deal. I imagine he's the 6th SP/bullpen long man failsafe.

Kind of feel Hand will be given first shot at SP5 to get a lefty in rotation (and believe he's out of options. He did have pretty ok production PCL/MLB last year) and put Koehler among the bullpen RHP with Cishek, Ramos, Capps, and Caminero.
                      Hand's FB velocity was about 4mph higher than his last attempt in the majors whilst starting. He looked like the prospect other teams actually coveted (well Minnesota anyway) though his control was still patchy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambridge View Post
                        Hand's FB velocity was about 4mph higher than his last attempt in the majors whilst starting. He looked like the prospect other teams actually coveted (well Minnesota anyway) though his control was still patchy.
                        While I was at the Suns-Barons game in Birmingham last July, I talked to a scout who said that teams (including the Marlins) are high on Hand.

I hope he makes the team, just because the puns on Twitter and here.

Comment

• Considering he is out of options, I think there is a good probability he makes club. If he gets shelled for a few starts (Hayden Penn?), maybe they could sneak him through waivers and then just next man up it with Flynn, Slowey or Koehler. If he can actually hold his own, just another guy they can trade for infielders as he'll likely be pushed out with Heaney/Nicolino/Flynn/Conley coming. Jesus, they have an all lefty prospect rotation just sitting in the high minors including Hand.

Should be a fun year pitching at least even if they don't score 600 runs.

Comment

• ZiPS projects Hand 4.63 ERA/4.88 FIP

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                              ZiPS projects Hand 4.63 ERA/4.88 FIP
                              Marlins defacto 4th SP last year - Slowey/Sanabia/LeBlanc 31 GS, 167 IP, 4.88 era, 1.51 whip.

De Facto 5th SP - Koehler/Flynn/Hand/Dyson 30 starts, 157 IP, (roundball) 5.30 era, 1.50 whip

Feeling pretty good about Turner besting the 4th and Hand/Flynn/Heaney besting the 5th. You'd hope there is not to much regression from Fernandez, Alvarez, and Eovaldi.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                                Marlins defacto 4th SP last year - Slowey/Sanabia/LeBlanc 31 GS, 167 IP, 4.88 era, 1.51 whip.

De Facto 5th SP - Koehler/Flynn/Hand/Dyson 30 starts, 157 IP, (roundball) 5.30 era, 1.50 whip

Feeling pretty good about Turner besting the 4th and Hand/Flynn/Heaney besting the 5th. You'd hope there is not to much regression from Fernandez, Alvarez, and Eovaldi.
                                Never said he was better or worse. Those two spots could be filled by Heaney and Nicolino by the end of the year. That would be the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X