Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
    It definitely was. But.

I think at the time the FO really believed they could make a run at the playoffs so I don't fault them for that. The FO has made way worse moves than that one.
    It was stupid to think that.
    --------------------
    But even so, why the fuck would they think Carlos Lee is the answer? We traded two young guys with potential to downgrade from Gaby Sanchez, on a team that was clearly going nowhere fast.

There aren't many worse moves than that when just going by pure thought-process. It's pure incompetence.
    Last edited by Mainge; 12-15-2013, 01:28 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
      I'd really like us to take a shot on Casey McGehee.

he hit .292/.376/.515 in Japan this year and he has hit before in the majors (.291/.346/.477 in 1064pa in 2009-10, but then fell off the table in 11-12, .221/.282/.351 in 952), so it's not totally impossible to think he could again

Seeking a third baseman, the Marlins are intrigued by free agent Casey McGehee, 31, who played in Japan this year and led his team to a championship by hitting .298 with 28 homers and 93 RBI.

He hit .217 with nine homers and 41 RBI for the Pirates and Yankees in 2012 but drove in 104 runs in 2010 and 67 in 2011. Wilson Betemit (.261, 12 homers in 2012, injured in 2013) also has been discussed as an option.

The Marlins want a third baseman with versatility, and McGehee and Betemit can play multiple positions.
      http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sport...ey-rants-.html

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
        Frisaro mentions Olt, I would not be opposed to that.
        I'm very confused by Olt, and I'd think the Cubs would want too much in return giving his potential. Also, what do you do when Moran is ready? Do you move Olt to 1B or Moran? I'd assume Moran, given the fact that you drafted him as your future 1B. I personally wouldn't want to give up anyone above Flynn + lower prospects for him (I consider Conley above Flynn btw).
        --------------------
        I like McGehee, but I don't want to sign him based off of his numbers in Japan, where ballparks are smaller and pitchers are not the same quality as MLB pitchers.

However McGehee>Betemit
        Last edited by Big Z; 12-15-2013, 07:23 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
          I'm very confused by Olt, and I'd think the Cubs would want too much in return giving his potential. Also, what do you do when Moran is ready? Do you move Olt to 1B or Moran? I'd assume Moran, given the fact that you drafted him as your future 1B. I personally wouldn't want to give up anyone above Flynn + lower prospects for him (I consider Conley above Flynn btw).
          I think we move Olt to 1B when Moran is ready. Think scouting reports like Moran more than Olt at 3B, but I could be wrong.

I think a Conley/Flynn + lower prospects could get it done. Don't think Olt's trade value could be lower and the Cubs don't have a position for him once Bryant is ready.

Comment

• If they could get Olt for Conley/Flynn and not trade the current rotation or Heaney/Nicolino, that would be great. If he and Moran worked out, Olt would be the one to move to 1B.

Comment

• Where is this Olt speculation coming from?
              --------------------
              Nevermind, I see. All it was is Frisaro throwing out hypothetical situations.
              Last edited by MiamiHomer; 12-15-2013, 10:35 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                --------------------

I like McGehee, but I don't want to sign him based off of his numbers in Japan, where ballparks are smaller and pitchers are not the same quality as MLB pitchers.

However McGehee>Betemit
                It'd likely be a minor league deal. And I imagine if he doesn't make the team, he'll go back to Rakuten.

Also, NPB leans towards a pitchers league. Less than 8 runs total per game. 1.51 home runs per game. And McGahee played in the Pacific league, where the home run rate was even lower, 1.38 per game.

2009 .301/.360/.499 394pa .330babip
                2010 .285/.337/.464 670pa .306babip
                2011 .223/.280/.346 600pa .249babip
                2012 .217/.284/.358 352pa .248babip

we're not gonna get 09-10 out of him, but I definitely think there's a chance we can get something in between the 09/10 and 11/12 versions of him.
                Last edited by HUGG; 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• They talked Olt and Baez with the Cubs before we dealt Ruggiano there. However we decided to wait until ST to make a decision,the deal would have been a SP and Ruggiano for 1 of them. It can still happen but not into late in ST and only if we are out of options

Loria still has finally say and when he sees Feldman getting 3/30 he would rather keep his arms than have to sign 1 for that

Comment

• Originally posted by marlinsfan24 View Post
                    I think we move Olt to 1B when Moran is ready. Think scouting reports like Moran more than Olt at 3B, but I could be wrong.

I think a Conley/Flynn + lower prospects could get it done. Don't think Olt's trade value could be lower and the Cubs don't have a position for him once Bryant is ready.
                    I believe Olt is supposed to have the better glove at 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                      I believe Olt is supposed to have the better glove at 3rd.
                      You are right. Olt has a 60 grade on arm and fielding and is a former shortstop. They give Moran a 40 in each and the word "unnatural" was used. For some reason I remember Texas wanting to move him to 1B and I guess I thought it was defensively. But I guess the real answer is Adrian Beltre is really good and not going anywhere.

Regardless, would love to get Olt despite his horrible 2013. I don't think it will be cheap though but we'll see what they do.

Comment

• Mayo gives Olt a 6 arm and 5 glove and Moran a 5 arm and 5 glove.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                          They talked Olt and Baez with the Cubs before we dealt Ruggiano there. However we decided to wait until ST to make a decision,the deal would have been a SP and Ruggiano for 1 of them. It can still happen but not into late in ST and only if we are out of options

Loria still has finally say and when he sees Feldman getting 3/30 he would rather keep his arms than have to sign 1 for that
                          What SP would it cost them? If we're talking Turner for Olt or especially Baez, sounds like a pretty easy decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by sports24/7 View Post
                            What SP would it cost them? If we're talking Turner for Olt or especially Baez, sounds like a pretty easy decision.
                            I'd rather have Turner. At worst he turns into a number 5 and is already there. Remember he is only 22 and already logged 185 innings in the majors as a starter. Olt is 25 and tanked last year in the PCL.

Comment

• We probably could've traded Cishek for Matt Davidson. I would've been ok with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                                Olt is 25 and tanked last year in the PCL.
                                I do find it weird that people act like this never happened.

he hit .213/.317/.422 in 268pa for Round Rock and then after he got traded to the Cubs, he hit .168/.276/.275 in 152pa for Iowa

discipline is nice though

Comment

Working...
                                X