Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AdamRavs View Post
    We should take a chance on Corey Hart. He is gonna come at a reduced price and if he's healthy can hit. Also plays 1b and the OF
    I agree with this. He has a LOT of pop. However, I am not too sure he will come cheap or take a multi year deal. I'm thinking he wants a 1 year deal to boost his stock. We have no backup plan if we sign him for one year and we trade LoMo.

I'm also concerned as to why the Brewers don't resign him instead if trading for LoMo; I would assume it has to do with money, but is there something else?
    Last edited by Big Z; 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
      I agree with this. He has a LOT of pop. However, I am not too sure he will come cheap or take a multi year deal. I'm thinking he wants a 1 year deal to boost his stock. We have no backup plan if we sign him for one year and we trade LoMo.

I'm also concerned as to why the Brewers don't resign him instead if trading for LoMo; I would assume it has to do with money, but is there something else?
      I don't understand this idea that finding a first baseman is hard. You can pretty much sign any productive hitter and teach him how to play a passable first base in spring training. It's the easiest position to play which is why fangraphs adjusts it by subtracting 12.5 runs/162 games.

When assemble a team that has as many holes as this one the last thing that needs to be worried about is who is going to play positions like first base and left and right field the following season.

Comment

• Did someone really say that LoMo is the least of our offensive worries?

REALLY?

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Did someone really say that LoMo is the least of our offensive worries?

REALLY?
          Of all the things that need to be fixed he's at the bottom. They're not going to replace SS because he's a "Gold Glover" but we needed a C, we badly need a 3B, and a 2B wouldn't hurt either.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• @AZSports620: Rumor: #Dbacks tried to acquire Yoenis Cespedes from #Athletics for a package involving A.J. Pollock, Tyler Skaggs - http://t.co/sJK39d9LfL
            Twitter

I'd be all for this is we can match the offer. Yelich to 1B, Cespedes to LF. Include LoMo (DH/1B), Nicolino, and something else to see if they bite.

Just noticed he makes $21MM over next 2 years, and is a FA after 2nd year. Think I'm more comfortable doing Eovaldi for Trumbo, than our farm system for Cespedes.
            Last edited by Big Z; 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• LoMo was just on the Hot Stove on MLBN. He said that he's healthy, and happy that he doesn't have to worry about doing regard assignments during the offseason. He also said he is happy about the fact that he will be starting spring training and with every other player, unlike previous years where he's been slowed down by injuries. Finally, he mentioned he's finally able to do squats lol.

Comment

• They may have 5 starting calibre outfielders. I think you let them all play in 2014 and see which two you play next to Stanton longterm. Unless you want to put Yelich longterm at 1B, don't think that's smart.

If anything, I think you play Ruggiano (ie least important) at 1B against lefties, and pick up a RHP basher like Garret Jones to platoon at 1B.

I really wish they would keep all the pitching and see who does what. Just get Uribe, sign G. jones/Hart/someone who hits RHP for 1B, and trade Morrison for a young 2B to add to the competition.

C- Salty
                1B - FA guy who hits RHP
                2B - Dietrich
                SS - Hecha
                3B - Uribe
                LF - Yelich
                CF - Ozuna/Marisnick (other to AAA)
                RF - Stanton
                B - Mathis, Dobbs, Ruggiano, Solano/Lucas, other infielder acquired with Lomo

SP- Fernandez, Eovaldi, Turner, Alvarez, Hand/Heaney
                RP- Cishek, Dunn, Ramos, Jennings, Caminero, Koehler, Flynn/whoever

It's live or die with Yelich, Hecha, Ozuna, Marisnick, and the SP but they'll have plugged the holes with cheaper short term options who should hold their own and have minor league firepower if everything goes right to get something in June/July.

Got to let the kids play.

Comment

• Jones/Ruggiano platoon would be pretty productive
                  --------------------
                  I think we could look at 2B options too and let Dietrich play 3B.

If we're still trying to re-sign Coghlan, that's probably as a 3B option as well. We don't need OF depth.
                  Last edited by HUGG; 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                    I think it's hard to ignore Uribe's defensive numbers 2012-2013 at 3B. I think its safe to say he will come down from insane 2013 numbers, but if 2012 is the "low" defensive value, he's over 2 WAR easy if he hits .250/.300/.400, which isn't a lot to ask for even with a BABIP correction. I think if it's a reasonable 2 year deal, kind of works as it settles 3B until Moran is ready, and he can play all over the infield if Moran somehow moves quick or other players emerge.

I like Infante better too (and just play Dietrich/Solano at 3B), but he will probably get 3+ year deal (but maybe that's even a better decision?). I think you can get Uribe for 2 years, $7 a year because he really tanked 11-12 (but was pretty solid 09-10). The Marlon Byrd contract basically.

I don't see why that is so bad? They aren't going to sign or trade for a real impactful 3B right now, and yea I would like a prototypical power option there too, but Uribe actually has some quiet upside with that defense. Probably best to leave Dietrich at 2B as thats where he's going to be if he works out.

Not trying to be a cheerleader as this is Juan Uribe end of the day, but if the price and years are right, could end up being kind of solid. That's all they need right now as they are going to live and die with Yelich, Ozuna, Marisnick, Dietrich, Hecha, and the SP taking a big step forward either way.
                    2 years wouldn't be too bad. I'm really just worried about 3 years.

My biggest thing is we are most likely NOT competing next year without some more major changes (1B/SS or Cano). So I do not want to be locked up into a 7m contract in 2015 with a 36 year old who's odds of OPSing .500 are a lot higher than you'd like. I'd much rather have cash free then, so I'd rather sign a 1 year stop gap or get someone who's younger and better. Which would only be Infante. But it's why I like the Salty signing, 3 year contract for age 29-32 seasons.

I'm also just really not a fan of Uribe as he's only a year removed from putting up back-to-back ~.550 OPS seasons. Dodgers just signed him to that 3/21 contract and it took a career year at age 33 to raise his OPS over the duration of the contract to .654. Yeah, he was still worth 3.7 total WAR but what happens when he doesn't have that career year? I'm certainly fine with the argument that his defense makes him valuable, but I just really fear giving him 3 years.

Given the choice between Uribe at 3/21 during his age 34-36 seasons or infante at 3/30 during his age 32-34 seasons then give me Infante, please.

Comment

• Infante is the 2nd best 2B on the market. We aren't signing him.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I don't think Uribe would stop them from doing anything in 2015 salary wise. Likely they have ALL 12 opening day pitchers within organization already (right?), starting OF, Salty, hypothetically Uribe, and let's say at least some of the infield sticks as backups. They look pretty good on payroll even with Stanton, Salty, Uribe, and one of Eovaldi/Alvarez in a significant arb (got to imagine Cishek, Ruggiano and one of those 2 SP traded at deadline or next offseason). If push comes to shove, they could find FA fits at 1B and one of the MI spots and coildnt claim it's because of Uribe money. They'd have Stanton making 11-12, Salty and Uribe 7 range,, Eovaldi/Alvarez at 3, Dunn, Turner, and Hecha around 2, and literally 14 other guys club controlled at $500k. That's like $42 for around 21 players, and no dead Bell money. If Loria is willing to go to $65 in 2015, which isn't asking a lot, that's two big free agents. Plus not even mentioning I just jettisoned Cishek, Ruggiano and a SP off the team and maybe that turns into a young infield starter somewhere.

Agree on 3 years as then Stanton is in Arb3 and Fernandez Arb1 (idiots....), but I like 2 because it means they don't have to rush Moran and if he moves quick Uribe can play the rest of the infield so he is a de facto fail safe at 2B/SS too.

The question is really, do you think he is capable of a 2+ WAR in 14 and 15? I like whoever you think can do that on a 2 year deal. I'm cool with Infante too, but I suspect that's a harder sign. Like I said, it's just hard to ignore Uribe's defense last two years. Go all Moneyball with this, undervalued asset potential.

Comment

• We should invite Brandon Inge to spring training as a non-roster invitee or sign him to a minor league deal. I realize he was awful and DFA last year but he wasn't that bad in 2012 with Oakland. If you look at his stats from last year, he wasn't drawing walks at all while in every other year besides his rookie year, he never had a walk rate below 6%. He also wasn't generating any power. I haven't seen him play recently so maybe he just old age hit him last year and knocked him off a cliff but it doesn't hurt to take a look. By no means am I saying he should be plan A but he can play any position besides pitcher and would be a great guy to have on the bench.

Comment

• Ya that is the plan with Uribe which is why they are only offering 2 years. Uribe would play 3B for 2014 and start of 15 then when Moran comes up(2 months or so in) Uribe would then play some 2B/3B and more than likely(if we are out of it)dealt at the deadline

Uribe is holding out for a 3rd year tho or wants a big name team to offer him a deal

Ruggiano is 99% gone in 2015 and Cishek is probably gone as well especially if he is lights out in 2014. Teams are already drooling over Cishek and we got Wittgren and Suggs ready in 15

Comment

• Why not just give him a 3rd year option, and secure his position if we are so needy at 3B?...

I would love to know what the AAV of the deal is. I'm assuming 2/14-16.

Comment

• LoMo also said he still has a grievance pending against the Marlins.
                                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                                X