No announcement yet.

Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Loney wants a 3 yr 30 million dollar deal and people wonder why LoMo has high value right now?

If he can stay healthy he is a steal for teams

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
      James Loney wants a 3 yr 30 million dollar deal and people wonder why LoMo has high value right now?

Then why trade him though? It's not like the Marlins have a young 1B prospect he's blocking.

Comment

• I really hope we don't sign Uribe unless it's to play SS (which it won't be) or a one year deal (which it won't be) or very low AAV (which it won't be).

Either give the multi-year contract to Infante or stick to a one year option like Ellis or Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
          Orestes Destrade...

But really, who are the examples of players leaving MLB for Japan and then coming back and making an impact? I can't think of any off the top of my head. They went to play in Japan for a reason.
          Colby Lewis too

and Destrade was literally before the team started playing...none since then is kinda crazy
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
            James Loney wants a 3 yr 30 million dollar deal and people wonder why LoMo has high value right now?

This ignores the fact that LoMo has been a bad player. He has upside but it's hard to imagine getting a return that makes dealing him worth it.

I believe he's more valuable to us than he is to anyone else.

Comment

• what about stanton at 1b??????????????????????????????

/every JCR twitter follower
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                This ignores the fact that LoMo has been a bad player. He has upside but it's hard to imagine getting a return that makes dealing him worth it.

In fairness, James Loney had a long track record of being pretty bad himself.
                poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post

I agree with this.

LoMo is the least of our offensive issues right now. There's a black hole offensively at SS, literally nobody at 3B, and 2B might be given to Solano unless something happens and Loria stops hating Dietrich for the Martinez situation.

There's a lot more that needs to be done right now, and I think the next "big" player the Marlins get is going to have to come via a trade involving some starting pitchers getting sent away for some bats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                    In fairness, James Loney had a long track record of being pretty bad himself.
                    Only one year, really. 2.2 WAR per 650 PA. He's not good, but he's not bad. Makes up for his lack of bat for 1B by being a good fielder. Whereas Logan makes up for his lack of bat by being a shit fielder.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      I really hope we don't sign Uribe unless it's to play SS (which it won't be) or a one year deal (which it won't be) or very low AAV (which it won't be).

Either give the multi-year contract to Infante or stick to a one year option like Ellis or Johnson.
                      Johnson as in Kelly? He signed with the Yankees. But I see what you're saying.
                      --------------------
                      clarkspencer
                      ‏@clarkspencer
                      #Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill said team is still trying to re-sign Chris Coghlan, who was non-tendered Monday
                      To sign at the minimum?
                      Last edited by Miamarlin21; 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                        To sign at the minimum?
                        They have never paid him the minimum.

I'm a big fan of signing Mark Ellis for no other reason than he was awesome on my MLB 2k6 team. What kind of contract is he looking for?

Comment

• WOOOOOOOOOO COGHLAN!!!

I'd imagine they can get a deal done at the 850k-1M range lou suggested somewhere

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                            I really hope we don't sign Uribe unless it's to play SS (which it won't be) or a one year deal (which it won't be) or very low AAV (which it won't be).

I think it's hard to ignore Uribe's defensive numbers 2012-2013 at 3B. I think its safe to say he will come down from insane 2013 numbers, but if 2012 is the "low" defensive value, he's over 2 WAR easy if he hits .250/.300/.400, which isn't a lot to ask for even with a BABIP correction. I think if it's a reasonable 2 year deal, kind of works as it settles 3B until Moran is ready, and he can play all over the infield if Moran somehow moves quick or other players emerge.

I like Infante better too (and just play Dietrich/Solano at 3B), but he will probably get 3+ year deal (but maybe that's even a better decision?). I think you can get Uribe for 2 years, $7 a year because he really tanked 11-12 (but was pretty solid 09-10). The Marlon Byrd contract basically.

I don't see why that is so bad? They aren't going to sign or trade for a real impactful 3B right now, and yea I would like a prototypical power option there too, but Uribe actually has some quiet upside with that defense. Probably best to leave Dietrich at 2B as thats where he's going to be if he works out.

Not trying to be a cheerleader as this is Juan Uribe end of the day, but if the price and years are right, could end up being kind of solid. That's all they need right now as they are going to live and die with Yelich, Ozuna, Marisnick, Dietrich, Hecha, and the SP taking a big step forward either way.

Comment

• I'm on board with Uribe. If he has another 2013-like season, we can probably trade him at the deadline to a contender too.

Comment

• We should take a chance on Corey Hart. He is gonna come at a reduced price and if he's healthy can hit. Also plays 1b and the OF

Comment

Working...
                                X