No announcement yet.

Marlins 2013 Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it's good to evaluate it just based on last season. Saltalamacchia won't repeat what he did last season.
    --------------------
    Originally posted by Hugg View Post
    All I know is I don't want anyone but Mathis catching when Jose pitches. I don't care if he hits .120.
    I don't think it matters that much.
    Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'm mostly just basing it off of Jose's comments about his rise in confidence when working with Mathis.

Numbers back it up too

Jose with Mathis: 16gs 109.1ip .160/.229/.225 1.56era
      Jose with others: 12gs 63.1ip .215/.299/.329 3.28era

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        I don't think it's good to evaluate it just based on last season. Saltalamacchia won't repeat what he did last season.
        I think it's proper to take into account the entire breadth of his production.

He had a .372 BABIP last season. That's high, OK.

He also had a 1.9 WAR the year before with a .265 BABIP.

If you play him against RHP, he's a very good hitter. The Marlins basically had pitchers playing catcher last season. He'd be a massive upgrade.
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
          Twitter

I'd say he's pretty much in the bag.
          This is a very silly thing to say.

You don't even know what we've offered him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
            This is a very silly thing to say.

You don't even know what we've offered him.
            3/6 it's in the bag.

Comment

• I don't even know what that means.

Comment

• Half

Comment

• See, I was hoping that wasn't what he meant.
                  --------------------
                  I wish tj was here to tell us what's really going on.
                  Last edited by HUGG; 12-02-2013, 10:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• @clarkspencer: The #marlins non-tender Chris Coghlan and Ryan Webb
                    Twitter

Comment

• Hard not to like this move if we seal the deal. I agree with what someone said earlier about preferring not to spend prospects on another team's minor league catching prospects. As we all know, there's a lot more to the position than simply their offensive statistics. As stated before, the catcher can also have a great influence on the pitching staff, and historically the catcher is seen as the team's emotional leader. It's always great to bring in talent from
                      a newly minted championship team, that's something that can help drive some of our young guys. I like it.

From a purely statistical standpoint, the numbers posted here seem
                      to suggest a great offensive upgrade at our weakest offensive position. Good place to start. I like a Salty-Mathis platoon - two veterans with a young staff. Also, wasnt Salty a top catching prospect with Texas earlier in his career? Maybe he's coming into his own now at 28? A few of you seem to suggest that his numbers are not repeatable because of his BIP stats, but I would like to think that a player will not regress back to
                      his numbers from age 24-26. Either way, he gives us a boost behind the plate without having to give up the young arms we need to build a long term contender.

As for other positions of need, I think we stand pat going into the season with Hech as SS, giving him a Brantly-type chance to prove something. Maybe they sign a veteran backup who can play multiple INF positions (furcal). 2B I think should be open for Dietrich.

3B and 1st are huge issues, in my opinion. I see the value in trading Lomo now. He hasn't proven to be consistent enough offensively, defensively, or in health. I say get rid of him while we can. Stop gap veteran who can hit at least .250 and OPS .700+ needs to be brought in at third. Long term solution is needed at first, someone who can OPS .850+ would be nice.
                      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                        Twitter
                        I'm kinda surprised about Webb. Now all we have left to show for Maybin is Zack Cox.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Both 2009 rookies of the year were non-tendered tonight.

Comment

• I think it's pretty embarrassing to non-tender Ryan Webb. He is absolutely cost effective and is the 3rd or 4th RHP in most bullpens in baseball.
                            --------------------
                            I'd like to see them pick up Salty too. I think 3/$27 is fair. He could be really really good in a platoon if they are really honest to RHP. He could dabble at 1B too (because Lomo is certainly gone), so they could also pick up Arencibia for cheap (why wouldn't you gamble on catcher power) and carry three catchers and not have anything really wasted.

Garret Jones was also non-tendered, he would be a nice gamble for 1B too. Same thing, hit right handers. .888 OPS vs RHP in 2012, .730 in 2013.

At least gives them a fighting chance if the young outfielders show up and they "position" Hecha better
                            Last edited by lou; 12-02-2013, 11:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'm all about Salty.

Comment

• There was no reason not to non tender Webb. He obviously didn't have a trade market and the Marlins didn't want to pay him more than he's worth. The Marlins have plenty of cheaper options.

Comment

Working...
                                X