• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erick hates pretty much every player.

He's very consistent about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
      Ok, but he's going to get paid a lot of money. It's like you say...what's he going to add, another 1-2 wins? What's that going to do? It seems to me like the risks outweigh the rewards.

And again, a lot of this production came last year. Before last year, he was better than what we have, but not worth what he's going to get in free agency. He had a .372 .BABIP last year.
      He's easily a 3-4 win upgrade over Rob Brantly.
      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        He's easily a 3-4 win upgrade over Rob Brantly.
        Considering he hadn't put up a WAR above 2 before last year, I don't think that that's true.

Also, much like Arencibia, the main thing to like about Saltalamacchia is his power. Going from Fenway Park to Marlins Park is probably going to make those power numbers worse, not better.
        Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• I think Arencibia's power FAR exceeds Salty's power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
            Considering he hadn't put up a WAR above 2 before last year, I don't think that that's true.
            Sure it is.

Rob Brantly put up -1.5 WAR last season via BR. -0.8 at fangraphs.

Saltalamacchia was between 1.0 and 2.9 last three seasons at BR, and 1.6 and 3.6 at FG.

At minimum, he is 2.5 wins better than Brantly was last by either method, and as much as 4.6

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            Also, much like Arencibia, the main thing to like about Saltalamacchia is his power. Going from Fenway Park to Marlins Park is probably going to make those power numbers worse, not better.
            There would be some drop, sure. But most of his value last season came with doubles, a stat Marlins park inflates almost as much as Fenway (MP is No. 3 in park factor for doubles; Fenway is 2).
            poop

Comment

• I like Salty. Catchers who can hit are really hard to find these days, and even if Salty is obviously gonna regress going from Fenway to Marlins Park, he's worth a multi year deal offer.

He'd add production at a position we desperately need, he's at a great age to sign a player (28), and the Marlins pretty much have no money on the books. Three years for a catcher who is a better hitter than just about every player minus a select few on the Marlins roster is a hell of a deal in my book.

That said I don't think we're winning a bidding war with the Red Sox. Loria=Cheap blah blah blah
              --------------------
              I also don't know why we're doing this comparison with Brantly. He'd be taking starts away from Mathis, no? Brantly's worked his way out of favor and Mathis did a really nice job working the starting pitchers last season. Still can't hit for sh*t though.
              Last edited by dim; 12-02-2013, 10:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• @PeteAbe: Two sources say it's unlikely catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia will return to the #RedSox.
                Twitter

I'd say he's pretty much in the bag.

Comment

• We need to sign starting caliber 3B/C before this upcoming season starts (and I'd like to also sign a SS, but Hechavarria will be here forever). I think Salty is the best catching option available at a decent price.

I think paying Salty a little extra is worth not having to trade good prospects currently in the farm for a decent catcher on another team right now. Even with a few signings we'd still be one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. This team isn't completely hopeless, but doing absolutely nothing this season would guarantee that the upcoming seasons are hopeless.

Comment

• I would like Saltalamacchia more if they plan on paying other guys too.

Comment

• Originally posted by dim View Post
                      I also don't know why we're doing this comparison with Brantly. He'd be taking starts away from Mathis, no? Brantly's worked his way out of favor and Mathis did a really nice job working the starting pitchers last season. Still can't hit for sh*t though.
                      Because Brantly still got 200+ PAs and was likely in line for a similar role this season?
                      poop

Comment

• I think Brantly got 200+ PAs early in the season because of what he did in 2012, and lost a ton of at bats late in the season to Mathis. I don't even think Brantly starts the season in the majors next season.

Comment

• If we don't sign a C, doesn't he pretty much have to? Who would? Skipworth?

That's bobbob's point. That's why you'd compare a FA C we sign to Brantly.

Comment

• Yeah, I saw now the post was in terms of wins potential of Salty over Brantly (for what he did last year).

I agreed earlier already that Salty could add more than just 1 or 2 wins over what the production was last season.

I'd also like to point out that I'm on the "No" train for Arencibia unless he comes super cheap in free agency. Too much like a poor man's Buck.

Comment

• Arencibia was non-tenders. Go get him.
                              poop

Comment

• All I know is I don't want anyone but Mathis catching when Jose pitches. I don't care if he hits .120.

Comment

Working...
                                X