2013 Trade Deadline Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lou View Post
    I don't think anyone considers Mike Dunn or Steve Cishek a core player, but the Marlins have them under control for 3 and 4 years respectively and they are both good above average pen arms. There is no reason to move them as they can simply keep them and given the low level of payrolls, it's not going to change things if they are making a few extra bucks next year.

Webb and Qualls? Different situations and move them. But unless overwhelmed, they should keep Cishek and Dunn for now. Especially Dunn because he isn't getting you much right now so all he can do is raise his stock.

Stanton is what they need to trade unless they intend to sign him for 6 years.
    I disagree.

Relievers are always overvalued at the trade deadline. If the Marlins decided that they wanted to trade Steve Cishek, he would be the best reliever on the market (the rumor is that guys like Perkins and Parnell are pretty much unavailable).

I'll always take the prospects over the reliever especially on a team that sucks.

And Dunn has plenty of value, too. He's one of the best left-handed bullpen arms available (assuming the Marlins plan on discussing trades with other teams). Qualls and Webb are the ones who are probably worth a lot of nothing.
    Last edited by Erick; 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
      I don't think anyone considers Mike Dunn or Steve Cishek a core player, but the Marlins have them under control for 3 and 4 years respectively and they are both good above average pen arms. There is no reason to move them as they can simply keep them and given the low level of payrolls, it's not going to change things if they are making a few extra bucks next year.

Webb and Qualls? Different situations and move them. But unless overwhelmed, they should keep Cishek and Dunn for now. Especially Dunn because he isn't getting you much right now so all he can do is raise his stock.

Stanton is what they need to trade unless they intend to sign him for 6 years.
      This is what they have been doing,while they are not talking trades yet for Cishek or Dunn they are "listening". If Detroit offered Castellanos or Boston offered Cecchini for Cishek then he is probably gone fast. I also heard they are open to trading him to Boston or Detroit for a 3 or 4 player package headlined by a RP who can replace him and a position player. As for Dunn,Atlanta wants him bad still and if they overpay we are very willing to trade him since we have depth(Jennings,Olmos,Dayton) and he is gonna get paid but no real need to move him if someone just offers a C prospect for him. The reason why both of them are valued is because they are cheap. Alot of teams like Cishek more than Papelbon because of his contract

Stanton is here until atleast the Winter Meetings is what they have been telling teams.

Webb and Qualls are about 95% gone and more than likely will be dealt like Mujica was last year. Minor deals that will net us a prospect or 2. When we got Ames and Wall,that pretty much sealed Webb and Qualls. Qualls is gone next year and Webb they have no interest in paying

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
        This is what they have been doing,while they are not talking trades yet for Cishek or Dunn they are "listening". If Detroit offered Castellanos or Boston offered Cecchini for Cishek then he is probably gone fast. I also heard they are open to trading him to Boston or Detroit for a 3 or 4 player package headlined by a RP who can replace him and a position player. As for Dunn,Atlanta wants him bad still and if they overpay we are very willing to trade him since we have depth(Jennings,Olmos,Dayton) and he is gonna get paid but no real need to move him if someone just offers a C prospect for him. The reason why both of them are valued is because they are cheap. Alot of teams like Cishek more than Papelbon because of his contract

Stanton is here until atleast the Winter Meetings is what they have been telling teams.

Webb and Qualls are about 95% gone and more than likely will be dealt like Mujica was last year. Minor deals that will net us a prospect or 2. When we got Ames and Wall,that pretty much sealed Webb and Qualls. Qualls is gone next year and Webb they have no interest in paying
        Those guys were getting traded either way. We're also going to get nothing for them.

If they want to make the team better via trade, the guys to trade are Cishek and Dunn (along with Qualls and Webb who are going to get traded, as well).

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
          Those guys were getting traded either way. We're also going to get nothing for them.

If they want to make the team better via trade, the guys to trade are Cishek and Dunn (along with Qualls and Webb who are going to get traded, as well).
          Honestly I would keep them for 2014 unless some team overpays. The replacements won't be ready till the 2nd Half of 2014 or 2015 anyway.

Keep them until a team needs them bad enough to win the WS they offer a Adrian Gonzalez for Urbina like we did!!

Comment

Honestly I would keep them for 2014 unless some team overpays. The replacements won't be ready till the 2nd Half of 2014 or 2015 anyway.

Keep them until a team needs them bad enough to win the WS they offer a Adrian Gonzalez for Urbina like we did!!
            I'm not suggesting to trade them for the sake of trading them, but their value is certainly good.

Not only are they good relievers, but there are plenty of contending teams this year with needs in the bullpen.
            Arizona, for example, is a first place team with a terrible bullpen right now. Detroit and Boston have been mentioned a lot because they have concerns about how durable their current closers are (and in Detroit's case, their middle relief isn't good, either).

Relievers usually go for more than they're really worth at the trade deadline. There's basically at least one dumb trade every year involving relievers at the trade deadline. Not so long ago, the Rangers gave up Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter for Koji Uehara. Of course, it was impossible to know that Chris Davis would become this good, but the upside was definitely always there. I would take such upside for guys who are, at best, going to give you 60 innings per year and are worth 1 win, if that.
            Last edited by Erick; 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
              And that hasnt exactly been a fruitful strategy.
              What's the rate of return for other teams?

Comment

This.

Dunn is not getting you much Erick. You would get a AA version of Dunn and a throw in asshole like "Skipworth" who is all potential and will never make it. Just keep him. No saves, low arbitration tender. He's worth more to keep and see if he busts out and stops walking people. Unless someone wants to overpay and send over an "Ozuna" forget it.

Cishek makes more sense to deal based on super2 (more money moving forward) and the higher tender with the saves. Plus his arm motion which is an injury waiting to happen longterm. But I wouldn't move him now unless you get a real good desperation piece, or you package him with Stanton and you get absolutely everything you want from Seattle/Texas. He's only going to get more valuable. With 4 more club controlled years, I don't think your "relievers get more at deadline" theory applies to him.

This just isn't a need to do right now. Nolasco was a need to trade as they need to give those innings to the kids. Stanton is a need to make a decision on signing or trading. These relievers? Keep them unless someone wants to be stupid and give them a big piece.

Just move Webb, Qualls, Ruggiano (keep if moving Stanton, or else move him and call up Yelich/Marisnick), cut/trade all the slack (JP, Polanco, Dobbs) and call up the obvious milb replacements and see what happens.

Comment

• The Miami Marlins helped set the trade deadline season in motion earlier this month with the deal that sent Ricky Nolasco to the Dodgers, but there may not be any other notable deals involving the Fish, reports MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro.

After a slow start, the Marlins are 21-17 since June 1 and are building some “positive momentum,” which could prompt them to stand pat as July 31 approaches.

That would seemingly to put to rest any blockbuster involving Giancarlo Stanton, but it could extend to Logan Morrison, Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn, who also are eligible for arbitration next winter.

Plenty of teams are looking for bullpen help, and Cishek, who has 17 saves, would be valuable bait. But Frisaro says the bidding for Cishek likely would have to start with their No. 1 prospect, making a match rather remote.
                  http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...07&src=desktop
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Frisaro keeps mentioning a number one prospect for Cishek (such as Nick Castellanos from Detroit) but I don't think he can net that, do you? I remember back in 2010 Matt Capps was traded to Minnesota for Wilson Ramos, who at the time was a big prospect, so I guess it's possible?
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• that's why it says the chances are remote.

Comment

• I think Webb should be traded. He is already making $975,000, so that'll go up to over $1 million next year. Lou (or anyone) what are the projected arbitration numbers for Cishek, Dunn, Coghlan and Lomo?
                        Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Here is a quick rundown for out trade deadline

Can be Had

Polanco
                          Pierre
                          Dobbs
                          Webb
                          Qualls

Willing to Listen

Slowey
                          Ruggiano

Don't Call unless overpay

LoMo
                          Dunn
                          Cishek

They have told teams that unless u are willing to offer a Top Prospect or a package of 3 or 4 good prospects don't even call on LoMo,Dunn or Cishek. Slowey and Ruggiano can be had for a prospect that will be ML Ready in 2014 however they are in no rush to deal either one of them since they will both be cheap backups next year who can still be dealt at the 2014 deadline. As for Pierre,Polanco,Dobbs,Webb or Qualls if u want them just send an offer

Comment

• The can be had section should be the get the fuck out section.

Comment

• I dont get why they are so hell bent on holding onto Dunn. Not saying that I think they should trade him at all costs, really, but in the end he is nothing special so it makes the hard line stance seem kind of odd.
                              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                                I think Webb should be traded. He is already making $975,000, so that'll go up to over $1 million next year. Lou (or anyone) what are the projected arbitration numbers for Cishek, Dunn, Coghlan and Lomo?
                                I haven't done them, but if you want roundballs, purely guesstimating based on years past service time and they keep their general level of performance and don't get hurt, I would put them at following ballparks

Stanton $7.5
                                Cishek $3.5
                                Slowey $3
                                Morrison $2.5
                                Coghlan $2
                                Ruggiano $1.75
                                Webb $1.75
                                Dunn $1

I think those are safe numbers to anticipate
                                --------------------
                                Originally posted by Todd View Post
                                I dont get why they are so hell bent on holding onto Dunn. Not saying that I think they should trade him at all costs, really, but in the end he is nothing special so it makes the hard line stance seem kind of odd.
                                Because if he stops walking people, which happens with relievers, he probably becomes one of the better lefties in all of baseball over night. As well, he costs them nothing next year besides double MLB minimum. He is more valuable to keep to see if he really jumps in value (either to the team or trade) than to send out for some schmuck C+ prospect arm project because what else are you going to get.
                                Last edited by lou; 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X