Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty much. #MarlinsPR

Comment

• Samson is saying this team would have to average 30,000 fans a game to support an $85 million payroll. This is far below what the average in the league is now and an indication they will always cry poor to support their stance on being cheap.

In addition, the 2008, 2009, 2010 teams had excellent payroll flexibility and spent almost nothing to bolster a very good core. Had they thought in the long term, one or two playoff appearances during that run would have bolstered their position going into 2012 and spending a $100 million to improve lagging ticket sales would not have been necessary.

I will add that there is probably a lot of truth to payroll being very small in that time to allow the team to build credit for the $155 million to begin construction on the ballpark. But shit, if you are a captain of the hotel room art industry, and your stepson was this genius at Morgan Stanley Deen Witter, you make that work. (E.g. Bring in additional investors.)

As has been the case with the Loria ownership, they are cheap in the short term but it ends up costing them even more in the long term.

Oh and let's not forget we have Larry Beinfest in charge is payroll flexibility. That guy just gets it.
      --------------------
      P.S. being told by MLB to spend more money does not count.
      Last edited by Party; 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• If they're willing to go as high as $75 million with the foundation they have in place, they can be good for quite a while.

Comment

• So I should just shit my pants and bitch about everything we do incessantly?

Comment

• Well, you're a Dolphins fan.
            poop

Comment

• TannMarino.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                Wouldn't that suggest people should initially just be up in arms about every trade for prospects that ever happens?

Do you feel like you're making any sense right now?

No, my statement did not suggest that.

The totality of the circumstances was in play

It wasn't just-another-trade. If you think it was you're a goober.

Comment

• That works if you assume Loria really did it for the betterment of the team. Nothing in his history suggests that was his motivation.
                  Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                  Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• I am not suggesting otherwise.

Comment

• It sure seems that what you've done (what we know now) is scream about the trade over and over initially (because you did not know that these players would have a nice start) and now scream about every thing else because of what we do know now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                        So I should just shit my pants and bitch about everything we do incessantly?
                        Maybe not you, but as a resident of Miami-Dade County I am indirectly paying for their stadium so I'm going to complain about how they don't know how to run a baseball team properly.

Comment

• Fair enough I suppose.

Comment

• Even if Loria would let other investors in, its doubtful they would have any say no matter what their stake in the operation is. So even if he opened it up to that I dont know if many people would scramble to get in on it.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

• People jump into sports team ownership even if they have little say in operations all the time. You can double your money in 4-5 years. What other industry guarantees that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                                Samson is saying this team would have to average 30,000 fans a game to support an $85 million payroll. This is far below what the average in the league is now and an indication they will always cry poor to support their stance on being cheap.
                                They could be under 85 next year and still field a competitive team.

What's the projected payroll for next year? It's gotta be in the 35-40 million dollar range, if that.

It would be a shame if they didn't sign some players. I actually hope that Daft talks a lot of shit about the front office if they don't. At some point, some of the money from the firesale has to be re-invested.

Comment

Working...
                                X