No announcement yet.

Winter Meetings 2012 (Miami Marlins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't even imagine how the national media would react to such a move.

Comment

• I would say the media is pretty well numb to the Marlins way of operating at this point.
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Omar View Post
        Isn't there a ban on trading new signings until May?
        Nope, a sign-and-trade is perfectly legal if the player gives written consent of the deal.

Media's been talking about the new sign-and-trade possibility for a while now. It's just a matter of time until it happens.

This would actually be the Marlins showing some creativity and foresight, but I'm sure they'd still get blasted for it.

Comment

• Can someone explain the point of a sign and trade? I mean if you're trying to avoid losing a draft pick but you're giving up a player you've already invested time and money in developing who has the same abilities as the potential draft pick don't you end up with a net loss.

Comment

• The Mets would lose their first-round pick if they signed Bourn, because they are 11th in the draft this year. They would be 10th, if Pittsburgh hadn't gotten an extra pick for not signing theirs last year.

If they sign and trade, they could give up a second-round-ish prospect for Bourn and come out ahead.
            poop

Comment

• And the Marlins are in the top 10, so they wouldn't give up that pick either. Although I imagine you understood it from the Marlins end.

Comment

• Yeah, I guess I left that out. Whoops.
                poop

Comment

• Ok, that makes sense. And based on what Hugg said a I'm assuming a deal would be signed before by player and both teams saying this trade will be made. How is this not illegal for being collusion?

Comment

• It probably could be. But it is allowed in sports, for some reason.
                    poop

Comment

• http://beastmodeforchrist.com/index.html

Juan Pierre!

Comment

• Add

Chone Figgins to the utility job search

Signed him to a minor league deal

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                          Chone Figgins got DFA'd

I put this here because you know we're gonna sign him.
                          ehe
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• We still have about 3 or 4 more offers out of minor league deals(Bobby Abreu,Dice-K,Valverde-even tho reports are conflicting) but nothing major. I do like however that we are signing guys with some talent to minor league deals instead of just guys who have no chance of doing anything for us

There was also some talk bout Tampa liking Bryan Peterson so might be trading him to TB however they are having a major 40 man crunch right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              We still have about 3 or 4 more offers out of minor league deals(Bobby Abreu,Dice-K,Valverde-even tho reports are conflicting) but nothing major. I do like however that we are signing guys with some talent to minor league deals instead of just guys who have no chance of doing anything for us

There was also some talk bout Tampa liking Bryan Peterson so might be trading him to TB however they are having a major 40 man crunch right now.
                              If Figgins can regain any sort of his Angels form, I wonder if he'll get a shot at winning the 2B job from Solano.

Comment

• Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
                                If Figgins can regain any sort of his Angels form, I wonder if he'll get a shot at winning the 2B job from Solano.
                                If any of these guys we have been signing shows signs of life again we will be keeping them to trade. Qualls,Rauch,Figgins,Dobbs,Pierre,Polanco all can help some playoff team out and I doubt any of them will be here in 2014 so might as well get something for the 2014 team for them.

In fact teams have already started calling about Dobbs(not offering anything but a prospect)however with Matt Downs being pretty much the same player beside a RHB they think we are willing to trade him and pay Downs less

Comment

Working...
                                X