Winter Meetings 2012 (Miami Marlins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
    According to Heyman, Hamilton is close to signing with LAA.

Trumbo and Bourjos could become expendable.

TEX could eventually lose out on Greinke, Upton, Shields and Hamilton.

Could be interesting to see if they get desperate and offer us an absurd package for Stanton.
    Yeah, I think we have to be interested in one scenario or the other, at this point. Maybe both.

I hope we get Bourjos.

Comment

• I don't see the Rangers ever needing to get desperate

that park is built for anyone with any amount of pop

Comment

• If they were as interested as rumored in regards to Upton, they'd definitely be interested in Stanton. The Marlins just might not be interested in giving him up. I actually wonder if Bud Selig would allow Stanton to be dealt at this point even if the deal actually potentially makes the Marlins better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
          Yeah, I think we have to be interested in one scenario or the other, at this point. Maybe both.

I hope we get Bourjos.
          He probably ends up with Mets

Comment

• I expect Bourjos to stay in LAA

Comment

• Ya they wont be giving Bourjos or Trumbo away so that pretty much counts us out

As for Selig vetoing a Stanton deal,I would highly doubt it because if we did deal him whatever team he went to would be paying out of there ass. Teams that have asked what we want for him have been getting your Top 3 or 4 prospects plus 1 or 2 young ML ready players.

Not sure Selig could say anything if we get 5 or 6 guys(that would be on the 25 man roster in 14) for 1 guy that says he has no desire to play here and rejected a extension(YES this is only way we would ever deal him)

The major problem in Stanton getting dealt is that we won't deal him unless he rejects the extension and we won't be offering that for a few more months

Comment

• I feel like if everything you say is true, our front office is the most retarded in baseball.

They won't trade Stanton unless he rejects an extension but they won't offer an extension now because they want to wait a few months. I feel like that makes no sense.

Comment

• Waiting a few months to let him cool down is probably a good idea.

Comment

• ^^^

What Mainge said, although this shouldn't be an issue because we WITHOUT A DOUBT should've offered an extension at the end of '10 or sometime in '11 (at the very latest '12). The Marlins dug their own grave by waiting to do the extension until a point where you piss him off to such an extent that there's very little chance he signs.

Comment

• I still think Stanton signs 7/$80, especially if front loaded.

They just got to offer it.

Comment

• I feel like them making a front loaded offer is as likely as Todd becoming 2012 POTY

Comment

• Offering guaranteed money should help him cool down.

I don't think the Marlins are in position to wait this out too long. Either sign your franchise player or trade him for something great because the team really, really sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            I feel like if everything you say is true, our front office is the most retarded in baseball.

They won't trade Stanton unless he rejects an extension but they won't offer an extension now because they want to wait a few months. I feel like that makes no sense.
                            Would u offer a guy an extension right now when all he keeps talking about is how he hates how the FO/Team is?

Guys u need to remember he is ours no matter what,so there is no rush to say here is an extension. Have him cool down some and offer it in April/May.

If they offered him an extension today,he would prolly say NO and then he is on the block and likely dealt to Texas or Seattle.They prefer to keep him and build around him but if in April/May he still wants to leave they will be able to get the same exact deals as they can now

Comment

• That's one of the less informed posts here, especially from a purported 'insider.'

Every day that goes by Stanton gets closer to arbitration. The sooner Stanton gets to 7 figures, the less incentive he has to take a below market rate. By mid-season, it's very likely Stanton and his agent won't hear anything that doesn't start with a 9, and by the end of next season, it's even more likely they won't hear anything short of $100 mil.

This kid is the perfect storm for an agent. He's going to hit his scheduled free agency as a 26 year old. 26. A ten year deal is a layup assuming his limbs don't fall off. Assuming some kind of normalish inflation through 2016, it's not all that unlikely to say Stanton is on pace to break the $300 mil mark in guaranteed money.

So let's phrase this a different way. 4 years from super payday. 1 year from arbitration. What good does waiting do for the team? Moreover, any team that acquires him now gets the benefit of the discount the Marlins are so predictably botching. He will never be more valuable in a trade than he is now. He will get progressively less valuable every day as he gets closer to arbitration. You address it now. Period.

Comment

• Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                                Would u offer a guy an extension right now when all he keeps talking about is how he hates how the FO/Team is?

Guys u need to remember he is ours no matter what,so there is no rush to say here is an extension. Have him cool down some and offer it in April/May.

If they offered him an extension today,he would prolly say NO and then he is on the block and likely dealt to Texas or Seattle.They prefer to keep him and build around him but if in April/May he still wants to leave they will be able to get the same exact deals as they can now
                                Yes, why not? If I value someone and that someone is pissed at me, one way to make him feel better is by offering him the money he deserves, at this point.

Why should we wait?
                                Nothing good comes from waiting.

He'll either...
                                a) become more expensive
                                b) get injured and potentially damage his great trade value

The team really sucks. I think it's time to decide if we're either going to build around Stanton for the next decade or if we're ready to start with a brand new core of young players.

Keeping Stanton so fans can watch him hit HR's for the next couple of years is going to do nothing when the team is losing 90-100 games every year and we end up losing him for nothing.

The Marlins cannot afford to screw this up and waiting does absolutely nothing. The waiting process is certainly not going to make him feel any better if that's what you're expecting.

Comment

Working...
                                X