Winter Meetings 2012 (Miami Marlins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Reynolds count on it.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
      I know I've read somewhere that some agents are reluctant to deal with us because of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
        Lets play who beats out Uncle Kev

Inge - said they dont want him
        Adam Kennedy - would be the 2B backup spot, if they even want him
        Jose Lopez - Organization tried that, doubt it happens again
        Polanco - reports dont want him
        Rolen - not coming/retire
        Youkilis - def not coming with a pending $12 million 1 year offer out there
        Sea Bass - free agent IF are low in quantity, doubt they move on him
        freddy sanchez - they wont sign him, always injured
        orlando hudson - he might be done
        S. Drew - not coming, wants to play SS
        drew sutton - no
        jason bartlett - probably done
        Raburn - sucks, and would be the MI backup type
        theriot probably gets a good gig as a backup, platoon starter somewhere

Top 3

yuniesky betancourt - he is not very good, but does have some pop
        wigginton - he can hit a little bit still, im surprised I havent heard his name once. Is he retired?
        jeff baker - can probably get a utility spot on a decent club, if he wants playing time maybe a 1 year works

I'm pretty sure thats all "major" infield options, not on trade or AAA radar

Honestly, jokes aside, I think I'm taking Kouzmanoff as Plan A if this is the list. Feel free to add names.
        Matt Downs - career .202 .ISO against left-handed pitching. Apparently the Marlins are interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
          Matt Downs - career .202 .ISO against left-handed pitching. Apparently the Marlins are interested.
          vs. LH
          2009 10pa .100/.182/.100
          2010 46pa .256/.304/.395
          2011 53pa .340/.415/.617
          2012 104pa .184/.231/.398

this fuckin guy

he can play pretty much everywhere though, he's started at 2B, 3B, 1B, SS and RF in the majors.

Comment

• 2011 was real good.
            poop

Comment

But there have been no examples this offseason to prove that.
              --------------------
              Are Big Z and ......Z from mlbtraderumors comments section the same guy?
              Just for you:

Finding low-cost third baseman becoming a challenge
              MIAMI — In the past, the Marlins had success finding players with something to prove. Jorge Cantu was brought in on a Minor League deal after Miguel Cabrera was traded to the Tigers during the 2007 Winter Meetings. Cantu gave the Marlins a couple of very productive seasons, belting 29 homers and driving in 95 runs in ’08. The following season, he reached 100 RBIs.

Once again, the Marlins are hoping to find a low-cost bargain to play third base.

But the search has become challenging. Miami officials saw that at the Winter Meetings. They made a push for Jeff Keppinger, who agreed to a three-year, $12 million deal with the White Sox.

Miami has interest in Mark Reynolds, who has tremendous power. Reynolds also strikes out a lot, and he’s not very good defensively at third base.

It appears Reynolds, who may be more suited to play first base, is taking other options more seriously.

Ian Stewart was on the Marlins’ radar, but the left-handed hitting third baseman is about to sign with the Cubs, who recently non-tendered him.

Miami would have strong interest in Placido Polanco, but the former All-Star may be done because of a painful back injury. So Polanco isn’t even in consideration.

Ryan Raburn, Matt Downs and Jack Hannahan remain in the mix.

The Marlins are finding even modestly-priced free agents are reluctant to sign with Miami, even for a one-year, guaranteed deal.

There is an issue of trust after Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes, who signed multi-year deals last December, were moved after one season in South Florida.

At the Winter Meetings, I spoke with one veteran player who is looking for a job. “I don’t want any part of that fiasco,” he said.

Miami’s blockbuster trade with Toronto on Nov. 19 has made it more difficult to convince players with any kind of track record to buy into the program.

What Miami may wind up doing is mixing and matching at third base. Greg Dobbs could be an option to play regularly, but the veteran is best suited for a bench role.

– Joe Frisaro

December 7, 2012Leave a reply
              Joe Frisaro

Comment

• That article provides no proof that players are not willing to sign here. It quotes one player that doesn't want to come down here and it doesn't mention who it is so there is absolutely no context. Who knows if we want that player. The rest of the article is fluff. It just shows that players are signing with other teams rather than the marlins which could come down purely to being offered better contracts.

Players looking to re-establish themselves on 1 year deals should see no reason not to sign in Miami and should be more willing to this year if looking for substantial playing time. Over the hill players still seeking that championship won't want to play for any organization that is fielding a subpar team and would be willing to take a lesser role in order to make a run for a ring.

A single quote out of context provides no evidence to support your case.

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                  Lets play who beats out Uncle Kev

Inge - said they dont want him
                  Adam Kennedy - would be the 2B backup spot, if they even want him
                  Jose Lopez - Organization tried that, doubt it happens again
                  Polanco - reports dont want him
                  Rolen - not coming/retire
                  Youkilis - def not coming with a pending $12 million 1 year offer out there
                  Sea Bass - free agent IF are low in quantity, doubt they move on him
                  freddy sanchez - they wont sign him, always injured
                  orlando hudson - he might be done
                  S. Drew - not coming, wants to play SS
                  drew sutton - no
                  jason bartlett - probably done
                  Raburn - sucks, and would be the MI backup type
                  theriot probably gets a good gig as a backup, platoon starter somewhere

Top 3

yuniesky betancourt - he is not very good, but does have some pop
                  wigginton - he can hit a little bit still, im surprised I havent heard his name once. Is he retired?
                  jeff baker - can probably get a utility spot on a decent club, if he wants playing time maybe a 1 year works

I'm pretty sure thats all "major" infield options, not on trade or AAA radar

Honestly, jokes aside, I think I'm taking Kouzmanoff as Plan A if this is the list. Feel free to add names.
                  I'd like Wiggington just to get him not facing our pitchers. It seems that he was just a Marlins killer his whole career. He had to have batted better than .315 or .320 against Marlins pitching. Can anyone find those stats ? Are they at Baseball-Reference.com ?

Comment

• Yes. Go to Baseball-reference.com and look for his career splits on his player page.
                    poop

Comment

• Wigginton is .290/.376/.532 (.908) in 250 PA against Marlins. Pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                        That article provides no proof that players are not willing to sign here. It quotes one player that doesn't want to come down here and it doesn't mention who it is so there is absolutely no context. Who knows if we want that player. The rest of the article is fluff. It just shows that players are signing with other teams rather than the marlins which could come down purely to being offered better contracts.

Players looking to re-establish themselves on 1 year deals should see no reason not to sign in Miami and should be more willing to this year if looking for substantial playing time. Over the hill players still seeking that championship won't want to play for any organization that is fielding a subpar team and would be willing to take a lesser role in order to make a run for a ring.

A single quote out of context provides no evidence to support your case.
                        Yeah fella you keep believing that.

Comment

• Ehe

Comment

• I like this old wooden fella

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                              Yeah fella you keep believing that.
                              If you're a player who can only get a 1-year deal and you wouldn't sign here, you're an idiot.

Comment

If you're a player who can only get a 1-year deal and you wouldn't sign here, you're an idiot.
                                Oh someone will sign here no doubt, but it'll be that one guy that can't find a job with the other 29 teams.

The outcasts of baseball is what we will be for now on.

The only thing going for them will be that those guys they sign like that, are going to be super pissed off they have to be here and will want to prove to everyone they should be on a real MLB team. Negative motivation but maybe that will work. I guess it did for Uggla.

Comment

Working...
                                X