Mark Buehrle Fires Back at Miami Marlins: "I Was Lied To"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Buehrle Fires Back at Miami Marlins: "I Was Lied To"

What did the Marlins say and when did they say it?

Better yet, who did the talking and how did Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle come away thinking they had been given verbal assurances they would not be traded for at least several seasons, if not the entirety of their six- and four-year contracts, respectively?

While one of Reyes’ representatives expressed disappointment this week with the Marlins for going back on their word, Buehrle and agent Jeff Barry issued a joint statement Wednesday expressing their view on the matter.

“I’m upset with how things turned out in Miami,” Buehrle said. “Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I’m putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career.”

Marlins baseball czar Larry Beinfest, asked directly on a Monday conference call about reports of “verbal assurances” given to Reyes and Buehrle, said those didn’t come from him and were nothing he was privvy to.

If any such assurances had been made by him, Beinfest said, he would have put them in writing.

“In an off-season of change and uncertainty, the overriding factor in Mark’s signing with Miami was Ozzie Guillen and the level of comfort his presence provided Mark and his family,” Barry said in his statement. “While the Marlins were the highest bidder, baseball had already made Mark a wealthy man, so money was far from the most important factor in his decision.

“Throughout the recruiting process, the Marlins made repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium. This was demonstrated by their already completed signings of Ozzie, Heath Bell and Jose Reyes.

“At the same time, given the Marlins’ history, we were all certainly aware of and voiced concern about the lack of no-trade protection. This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk. Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can't be said of the Marlins.”

This Marlins ownership, since its arrival in 2002, has never given a full no-trade clause.

Agent Chris Leible told The Miami Herald this week that Reyes was “shocked” by the trade and had been “told many times he wasn’t going anywhere.”

Though Buehrle signed for $58 million over four years, the Marlins wound up paying him $14.5 million for one year of work.

The 33-year-old lefty proved a worthwhile investment, going 13-13 with a 3.74 ERA and his 12th straight season of at least 200 innings.

The Marlins aren’t the only team that refuses to hand out no-trades. However, teams sometimes make up for that by writing relocation bonuses in the event of a trade into player contracts.

Thet Marlins did guarantee Carlos Delgado a contract adjustment in the event of a trade after he signed a four-year, $52 million deal in 2005. That adjustment, negotiated by veteran agent David Sloane of Coral Springs, included offset language to make up for the difference in state income tax should Delgado be dealt.

The slugging first baseman was traded to the Mets after one 33-homer season at a total cost of $11 million, including $7 million the Marlins sent along to the Mets to help cover his remaining obligation.
    Mark Buehrle fires back at Miami Marlins: "I was lied to"

I'm positve that Loria/Samson don't know this yet but they've lost baseball in South Florida.

No fan (other than Hugg) will ever trust them again even if they win the World Series and will always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's gross.

Comment

How did they lie?

Comment

Yep. They think they can suck for 2 years, and when the prospects are ready to go, sign 4-5 free agents because payroll will only be at $30 million and baseball players don't care and will just follow the money. No "fan" will care because they'll just think they will trade them all the next season when they don't win. And they got something coming to them when some premier free agents categorically eliminate their organization because of their track record.

And it'll get worse when Stanton is moved, even if it makes sense on a baseball level if he refuses to sign a deal giving the Marlins some free agency years. Everyone will blame them for creating the situation where he doesn't want to sign even if they try to spin the west coast thing.

Hopefully these clowns sell the team soon.

Comment

People who won't enjoy a World Series win because of the shoe potentially dropping are like mh saying he will boo every time the homerun sculpture lights up

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
            How did they lie?
            trololololololololololololololololol

Let's count the ways

Comment

Title would be better if it said...Mark Buehrle: "My agent is a dumbass and so am I."
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              trololololololololololololololololol

Let's count the ways
              A no-trade clause was never in the contract. Hate the front office all you want and there are many reasons to hate them, but lying to these players isn't one of them.

If he really wanted the no-trade clause, he probably should've gone to a team that was offering one.

The only lie in the article is the half-sentence calling him a "worthwhile investment."
              Last edited by Erick; 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                People who won't enjoy a World Series win because of the shoe potentially dropping are like mh saying he will boo every time the homerun sculpture lights up
                People can (and will) enjoy a World Series if that day comes. But will they enjoy it like the vast majority of other fans in baseball do when they win it all? Obviously not. Because everyone here will be counting down the minutes until the mass exodus. Being a Giants fan is fun. Being a Marlins fan is gross under this ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Getting to the world series in a year would massively restore confidence in how they operate. Of course they could win back fans by actually being good at their jobs.

I am willing to bet we need not discuss this hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
                    People can (and will) enjoy a World Series if that day comes. But will they enjoy it like the vast majority of other fans in baseball do when they win it all? Obviously not. Because everyone here will be counting down the minutes until the mass exodus. Being a Giants fan is fun. Being a Marlins fan is gross under this ownership.
                    Yes.

They'll look back and say it was a good move by ownership if that were to happen.

Sort of like how everyone was beginning to think Billy Beane was overrated before the season and now he's a genius again because Oakland unexpectedly made the playoffs.

Winning is the only thing fans care about.

Comment

Title would be better if it said...Mark Buehrle: "My agent is a dumbass and so am I."
                      --------------------

A no-trade clause was never in the contract. Hate the front office all you want and there are many reasons to hate them, but lying to these players isn't one of them.

If he really wanted the no-trade clause, he probably should've gone to a team that was offering one.

The only lie in the article is the half-sentence calling him a "worthwhile investment."
                      I think the lie comes from Loria saying he won't trade Buehrle and Reyes anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
                        I think the lie comes from Loria saying he won't trade Buehrle and Reyes anytime soon.
                        There's no proof he said that to them.
                        If you're making a business deal and you really want something out of it, wouldn't you ask for it to be written in the contract?

It seems like we did a nice job attracting the dumbest players in baseball last offseason.

Comment

How did they lie?
                          They gave verbal assurances, then went back on them.

It's not legally binding, but morally it is. A man is only as good as his word. That means Loria is a big smelly pile of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
                            They gave verbal assurances, then went back on them.

It's not legally binding, but morally it is. A man is only as good as his word. That means Loria is a big smelly pile of shit.
                            Any proof of those verbal assurances?

Comment

Any proof of those verbal assurances?
                              Any proof they didn't give them ?

Since Loria's history is rather shady, I tend to believe Reyes and Buehrle on this one. They have nothing to gain or lose by stating it, so why would they be lying ?

Only a person that is hurt would make that accusation. I doubt Buehrle would have signed with the Marlins unless he was told he wasn't going anywhere soon. He moved his whole family here. You don't do that unless you're pretty sure you are staying in one place for more than a year.
                              Last edited by oakelmpine; 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X