Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Braves! I wanna be em!

Comment

• Hanley was comparable to Stanton. I don't think it's a stretch to say Hanley was even better at the time of his extension than Stanton is now, when you account for positional scarcity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
        Hanley was comparable to Stanton. I don't think it's a stretch to say Hanley was even better at the time of his extension than Stanton is now, when you account for positional scarcity.
        You keep on believin' that brother, more power to you

Comment

• Mainge loves Loria

Comment

• Originally posted by oakelmpine View Post
            You keep on believin' that brother, more power to you
            It's absolutely the truth, pops.
            --------------------
            At the very worst they're comparable.
            Last edited by Mainge; 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I think Hanley is a very good comparison... you have to remember it was the Hanley who was OPSing .940 and stealing 50 bases a year when they signed him to the extension and not the one who OPSed in the mid 700s and stole 20 bases. Plus, as Mainge said he was doing this from the SS position, which increases the value. At the time of the extension he was one of the top SS in baseball... plus he wasn't coming off an injury plagued season. I think you're letting his last couple seasons get in the way of just how good Hanley was from 06' to 10'

Comment

• Stanton's 13.1 WAR through 3 seasons, although 373 games.

Hanley was 17.8 through 3 seasons, with 465 games. If you reduce him down to 373 games, that's 14.3.

Anyone who thinks Stanton's better at this point in his career than Hanley was at the same point is kinda silly.
                --------------------
                Although, you could also put it this way:

Stanton on his 23rd birthday: 373 mlb games, 13.1 WAR
                Hanley on his 23rd birthday: 160 mlb games, 4.6 WAR
                Last edited by HUGG; 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• To be fair, I don't think oakelmpine knows what positional scarcity is.

Comment

• Nor does he know what WAR is

/inb4 what is it good for, absolutely nothing

Comment

• I understand what both are, and you also have to determine into this the "eye test" and Hanley, and his rumors from his Boston days, combined with seeing him in action (on and off the field) should lead one to conclude that you can build around one guy, and the other one you trade away and get as much as you can for him. The Marlins already traded away the one they should have, but 2 years too late.

It's just common sense.

Comment

• Hanley was arguably the second best player in baseball at one point (behind Pujols). He was a cornerstone player. A franchise player. Try to remember that, he was once on his way to Cooperstown.

Comment

• It's sad to think how great Hanley once was. It's a very sad story.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Hanley is more comparable than Cabrera because the Marlins "had" the stadium for the later part of the deal they did give Hanley. There was no stadium on the horizon which dictated the Cabrera situation. I think it's very black and white to see that once that stadium contract was signed, they changed their position on significant long term deals. Performance wise, unquestionably Hanley is comparable. I also think they learned a lesson with Cabrera. Yes, they are idiots for having to realize they need to give above average guys arbitration buyouts, but I think they get that now.

The problem is like I said, they wait to long and have no vision. They have an amazing opportunity with Stanton right now being so far from free agency and being able to frontload him in 2013-2015 when payroll will be very low with all the club controlled guys so they could afford more things 2016-2019. Are they going to take advantage of this opportunity? That's why I hate them. They are currently blowing that potential value.

But they do have 3 months. I am doubtful, but optimistic.
                            --------------------
                            Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
                            It's sad to think how great Hanley once was. It's a very sad story.
                            Yea, but it would be sadder if he was still on the Marlins and we had to watch it. Let's just hope Loria reinvests that Hanley money into players one of these decades.
                            Last edited by lou; 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• If I remember correctly, they signed Hanley during the season of his last year before arbitration didn't they? Like in May or June? Maybe they will do the same with Stanton... hopefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by kylekash View Post
                                If I remember correctly, they signed Hanley during the season of his last year before arbitration didn't they? Like in May or June? Maybe they will do the same with Stanton... hopefully.
                                Pretty sure you're right but Lou has pointed out multiple times that waiting will most likely add $15 million to the contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X