• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top trollers of time:

1. Marlins Ownership
    2. Tebow with the Broncos
    3. Writers of Hawaii Five-0
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Blown away
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        My point is, would MLB allow a payroll this low especially from a team in the 2nd year of their new stadium? They might overpay a guy or two.
        Sure, I understand that, but what top-tier free agent is going to want to come here if there's the (definite) possibility that they'll be traded away within a year of signing the contract unless the team overpays for said free agent? Not like they're going to start offering no trade clauses any time soon...

Comment

• "Albert Pujols was this close to being a Toronto Blue Jay" was the winning tweet of the night I believe.
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Here is what president of ā€œbaseball operationsā€ Larry Beinfest said last month upon firing Guillen: ā€œOur hope is that a new manager, along with roster improvements, will restore a winning culture.ā€

Only culture the Marlins have is the kind you swab, put on a Petri dish, place under a microscope and look for contagious bacteria. Mike Redmond just signed to manage in baseballā€™s sewage system, is what he did.

Already, even before this sham of a deal is announced with the Blue Jays, the reviews are roasting.

Tweeted Giancarlo Stanton (@Giancarlo818): ā€œAlright, Iā€™m pissed off!!! Plan & Simple.ā€

In a classic response via Twitter, Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper messaged Stanton: ā€œ@Giancarlo818: you can always come play for the Nats! We will take you anytime! Get some red, white, and blue!ā€

Clown franchise, bro. Clown franchise.
            http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2...ust-be-stopped

Comment

• At least when Redmond has everyone doing naked lunges during warmups, no one will know who they are.
              --------------------
              From Keith Law:

ā€œThose limicolous owners are the greatest joke of all in this deal, rooking Florida taxpayers for a publicly funded stadium, only to make one half-hearted attempt to fill it with a contending team, then surrendering after the season to return to their old business model, playing a skeleton-crew lineup while pocketing all of their revenue-sharing money. This isnā€™t a bad baseball deal for Miami; itā€™s not a baseball deal at all ā€” itā€™s a boondoggle, perpetrated by owners who have pulled one stunt like this after another, with the implicit approval of the commissionerā€™s office. Itā€™s time for baseball to rid itself of Jeff Loria and David Samson by any means possible. Miami, the state of Florida, and the sport in general will be better off without them.ā€
              Last edited by Todd; 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Todd's here ALL night, boys

Waitresses. Tip em

Comment

• Todd is not impressed.
                  Noah Perio
                  Jupiter
                  39 AB
                  15 H
                  0 2B
                  0 3B
                  0 HR
                  0 BB
                  .385/.385/.385

Comment

• So you're not BLOWN AWAY?

Comment

• Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                        "Albert Pujols was this close to being a Toronto Blue Jay" was the winning tweet of the night I believe.
                        And CJ Wilson.

And Yoenis Cespedes.

I'll never forget the memories of that fun 2012 offseason, even if it led to this.

Comment

• How 2013 can be saved

C - Brantly 500k ~1 WAR
                          1B - Lomo 500k ~2 WAR
                          2B - Scutaro/Freddy San/Kelly John/etc 2/10m ~2 WAR
                          SS - Escobar 5m ~3 WAR
                          3B - Youkilis 1/10m ~3 WAR
                          LF - Pagan/other OFers/other 1b with logan in LF 2/12m (Certainly not going for a long term CF now with Yelich and new guy in pipeline) ~2 WAR
                          CF - Ruggiano 500k ~2 WAR
                          RF - Stanton 500k ~5 WAR

Bench: Mathis (2m), Dobbs (1.5m), 3 minimum guys (1.5m) ~2 WAR

= 33m. Something like 22 WAR. Minus one for pitchers batting so 21. We had 4.2 last year lol, thanks to a combined -12 WAR from all those who ranked negatively.)

To be a ~90 win team, we need to get about 16 WAR from the pitching staff (We were at 11 WAR last year). Let's say we trade Ricky (please trade Ricky).

SP - Alvarez (500k), Turner (1m), Eovaldi (500k), two blanks
                          RP - 4m for the bunch assuming they don't sign anybody and fill it with min guys + Webb.

So that's 6m. Let's round it up and say that's a total of 40m given out in contracts. That gives us the ability to spend about 10m each per SP and have a ~60m payroll. A 60m payroll would have put as the third lowest payroll team last year (Barely "beating" out Hou and KC).

Let's say our BP is about average and is worth 3 WAR, that's about 13 more WAR we need. Let's call Turner 3 WAR, and Eovaldi/Alvarez 2 WAR. Our 10m each SP is probably about 2 WAR pitchers, putting us at about 88 wins. Maybe too optimistic for our 3 young sp though, knock them down 1 WAR each and that's still 85 wins.

I'd be pretty happy with that. Let's say we aim for an <70m payroll, giving us some wiggle room to add $ to all the contracts. If it sucks, we're not weighed down by high contracts.

That's needing to sign 5 free agents though, which probably aint happening. I also know I have fan bias going for me, so that's probably more of a .500 team. Still, a .500 team with potential on a low payroll is still cool.
                          --------------------
                          I'm not giving up until after free agency.

But I'm not optimistic
                          Last edited by nny; 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• As an aside:

Loria is definitely a big ol' douchebag here, but why is it that all sports writers make it seem like the Marlins' stadium deal was unique among professional sports franchises? The Marlins didn't really get the city government to pay all that much more than most cities pay for most professional sporting venues, right?
                            --------------------
                            From what I could see, the Heat paid $50 of the $213 million for the AAA. Just a rough calculation shows that the Marlins paid a slightly higher percentage for the park.

I feel like that is constantly misrepresented. Am I wrong, there?
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              As an aside:

Loria is definitely a big ol' douchebag here, but why is it that all sports writers make it seem like the Marlins' stadium deal was unique among professional sports franchises? The Marlins didn't really get the city government to pay all that much more than most cities pay for most professional sporting venues, right?
                              --------------------
                              From what I could see, the Heat paid $50 of the $213 million for the AAA. Just a rough calculation shows that the Marlins paid a slightly higher percentage for the park.

I feel like that is constantly misrepresented. Am I wrong, there?
                              I agree with you. Seems like whenever new stadiums are brought up, we're the only ones in the bunch that had tax payers pay for a majority of the stadium.
                              --------------------
                              Joel Sherman @Joelsherman1
                              2 execs spoke to already said this: Ricky Nolasco will be next to go from #Marlins
                              Last edited by Anonymous; 11-14-2012, 01:08 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Just woke up to this news. I am entirely unsurprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X