• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for ruining it, jerkface.

Comment

• nsfw

Spoiler:

--------------------
      The Chicago Cubs could add some big-name pitchers with big pay days still ahead of them.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein told beat reporters that the Cubs will add starting pitching to the mix in their pursuit to improve on a 101-loss season. The Miami Marlins are hoping to dump some of their high salary pitching contracts as part of their new approach going forward, according to major league sources.

Sources indicate that pitchers Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle are on the trading block this offseason. Johnson's contract appears to fit into the Cubs' short-term plans. The 28-year-old pitcher has one year remaining on a long-term contract at $ 13.750 million for 2013. The Marlins will look for younger prospects and as much payroll relief they can get in each deal they make.

The Cubs have $50 million coming off their 2012 payroll commitments. It appears they will be willing to add contracts such as Johnson's due to the flexibility of his current status. He will be eligible for free agency after 2013.

Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer are looking for quality pitchers that they can either sign to long-term deals or flip before the July 31 trading deadline for other potential pitching prospects.

The sources indicated that the Marlins would approach the Cubs and other teams with the payroll flexibility to take on most of the money owed on the contracts for Buehrle and Johnson.

Johnson was 8-14 with a 3.81 ERA in 2012. The 6-foot-7 pitcher has a 56-37 lifetime record with a 3.15 ERA with the Marlins. His best season was 2009 when he went 15-5 with a 3.23 ERA in 33 starts.

Buehrle's contract is much more problematic than Johnson's. The former White Sox star has a back-loaded deal that pays him $11 million in 2013, $18 million in 2014 and $19 million in 2015. Buehrle will be 34 in March.
      http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...-interest-cubs
      Last edited by emkayseven; 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• The Miami Marlins are hoping to dump some of their high salary pitching contracts as part of their new approach going forward
        Wait, someone actually passed on the chance to sensationalize it as yet another fire sale?

Comment

• From what I've heard from my BFF, the Cubs are looking to add more starting pitching but it's more of the types of deals like they gave Paul Maholm last offseason (short-term, relatively cheap and easy to trade at the deadline). They're not going to be looking to get any really good, highly sought after starters. They know they're not going to be good next year, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            Why? I don't understand this. We are only a piece or two from being good.
            I LOL'D

Comment

• Originally posted by mbitcronod12 View Post
              From what I've heard from my BFF, the Cubs are looking to add more starting pitching but it's more of the types of deals like they gave Paul Maholm last offseason (short-term, relatively cheap and easy to trade at the deadline). They're not going to be looking to get any really good, highly sought after starters. They know they're not going to be good next year, either.
              "A source familiar with the Cubs' thinking"
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post

So, best case we need 2 starting position players and 2 SP to be any kind of contending team at all (Let a lone a favorite).

Yes. Outstanding post, btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by beinfest_virus.exe View Post
                  "A source familiar with the Cubs' thinking"
                  Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see that written anywhere in there. I see these "sources" talking about adding starting pitching and a beat writer speculating that the Cubs will add payroll.

Either way, the Cubs don't have a lot of talent in their system, either. Aside from the fact that they could eat JJ's salary, they're not really a good match.
                  Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 10-24-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMendozaLine View Post
                    Wait, someone actually passed on the chance to sensationalize it as yet another fire sale?
                    Well there really is no reason to move JJ. Moving him and Buehrle would be salary dumps and little else.
                    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Mibs, your bff works for/with the Cubs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                        Mibs, your bff works for/with the Cubs?
                        No. He is a Cubs fan, lives in Chicago and listens to the local media reports and sports talk radio shows. This beat writer Polky quoted is the only guy saying that the Cubs would try to trade for JJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
                          Well there really is no reason to move JJ.
                          Getting more talent back?

If the terms are right, there's always a reason to move any player.

Comment

• No, CC. IT WOULD BE A FUCKING DUMP.

Don't you get it, man?

Comment

• funny how the season before this one our team sucked and we had a no name manager, then we signed all these free agents, and now we fired ozzie as a scapegoat, trade bell for a bag of balls and want to trade buehrle. only person staying is reyes and just to start on a clean slate i would trade him to. i mean whats the point of playing baseball in 2013 really

Comment

• I was referring to your friend as "a source familiar with the Cubs' thinking" since that's a phrase that all these bigwigs throw around in their blog posts

Comment

Working...
                                X