No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Mujica To Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be out of nowhere, but I think Eric Chavez would be a great signing in the offseason to occupy 3B for a little while. Don't know how much he'd cost considering he's having a nice season in New York, but I could see him as a nice one or two year plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
      The Lee trade was not awful. The Marlins were buyers and made a move to improve the 2012 ball club.

Lee coming in for Gaby was HUGH. But the rest of the team didn't turn things around. Doesn't mean the trade was awful.
      Context is appropriate when judging a FO's aptitude, but you can't gloss over the lack of foresight the Lee trade demonstrated. Dominguez is not anything special, but at least he's a warm body with something that translates to + at the major league level.

The Lee trade was not bad at the time because it was junk going out junk coming in, but, much like awarding Cody to the Giants in 2010 because it opened up a spot for Maybin, trading Dominguez when (and they HAD to know about it at the time) Hanley was very much "best (used lightly) offer takes him" if the plan went south, making such a move was rash. It's the same Cody-Maybin dilemma here, something that's almost laughable by a quick subsequent move.

I think at the time there were two schools of thought "well, Dominguez isn't going to play here" and "equal value". I think if the two trades were made the same day in, for the sake of argument, February, there'd have been a lot of anger. Therefore, I don't think it's fair to question how wise such a move was. As fans, we have the benefit of hindsight, but there's also an expectation that front offices have the benefit of foresight. That's something that the Beinfest group seems to be lacking, and rather consistently.

Comment

But then shouldn't you view acquiring a guy who is probably better than Dominguez in this trade in the same context?
        poop

Comment

Generation Cox is coming.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by nny View Post
            . Sign one of the many ~2 WAR IFers in the offseason to a 1 year contract and let him, Boni, and Cox figure out the IF
            Problem with this is I suspect most of the better ones (Peralta, K. Johnson) would want to start no questions asked. If they intend Cox to start a lot, I think team is probably looking at Macier Izturis type who would be fine coming off bench. Not that, that changes much, but yea.

Cards fans are not happy which is amusing

Comment

from the Cox thread in the minor league forum:

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
              Beinfest was on 790 this morning. Said they felt he was fast tracked a bit in the Cardinals system and that they wanted to move him back to AA to help his development a bit more.
              that tells me they're probably not expecting him to start in 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                from the Cox thread in the minor league forum:

that tells me they're probably not expecting him to start in 2013
                That would be wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                  But then shouldn't you view acquiring a guy who is probably better than Dominguez in this trade in the same context?
                  You could, but that also calls for an admission I don't think is convincing - that Cox is better than Dominguez. He may be, he may not be. Dominguez is closer to big league ready and Dominguez has the single best "tool" of either player.

Also, you'd have to consider that there was yet another "asset" going out to "upgrade" Dominguez (which, again, is still debatable).

Comment

Can't we just be happy the Marlins traded a shitty reliever who was going to make over $2 mil next year for a legitimate-fringe 3B prospect that a lot of scouts still like, and think Cards just rushed him. Who cares what they did with Dominguez or who is "better."

Comment

So I didn't realize that Cox signed a Major League contract with the Cardinals.
                      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                      X