Marlins Trade Mujica To Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA
    I've been at front of Cox bandwagon, still like him. Cards don't need 3B, so expendable. @mark_sei: Did #stlcards give up too early on Cox?

Comment

I'd take the offense too. The problem is that Cox isn't as good offensively as Dominguez is defensively.

That could definitely start to change if Cox starts to develop even a little bit more power.

Comment

I think this is a very nice low cost move. Cox has some potential, Mujica is replaceable, and was going to make around $2.2 next year so that does clear a few bucks.

I like this dinky little moves. I hope they move Carlos and Carlos soon for other randoms.

Comment

HUGH fan of both of these trades.

Comment

I'd take the offense at 3B too but Zach Cox isn't a good offensive player. I think Dominguez is the better prospect of the two, though still not a good prospect.

Comment

This is a nice trade, but I'd be disappointed if we're relying on Cox to play 3B next year with no alternative.

Comment

Cox was #4 in St. Louis' prospect list this year with a 55 grade (regular on a good team) and medium risk.

Cox parlayed his status as the best pure hitter in the 2010 draft and his extra leverage as a sophomore into a $3.2 million big league contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. He quickly reached Double-A in his first full pro season, batting .335/.388/.500 in his final 61 games after a slow start that resulted from him bending too much at his waist, cheating to reach outside pitches and growing vulnerable to inside ones. A more upright stance allowed him to pull pitches with more power. Scouts believe he'll continue to hit for average, though whether he'll have more than average power is a subject of debate. Cox has the arm to handle third, though he'll need to continue to refine his footwork to enhance his range. He's a below-average runner. Cox will begin 2012 in Double-A with the expectation that he'll be in Triple-A by midseason. A potential No. 3 hitter, he could earn his first big league callup in September, though David Freese looms ahead of him.
                Definitely having a down year, but we got a top 100 prospect (#88) for Edward Mujica.

And HUGH lol at Dominguez being a better prospect.
                Last edited by HUGG; 07-31-2012, 04:27 PM. Reason: confused self

Comment

Potential 3 hitter.
                  There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post

Why? Dominguez has gold glove caliber defense at 3rd, Cox might not even be able to stay at third, both about the same age (Dominguez a little younger), both former highly regarded 1st round picks with Lee being a slightly better offensive player. I think it's certainly debatable who is a better prospect and I'll take the one who has at least one elite tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                      Cox was #4 in St. Louis' prospect list this year with a 55 grade (regular on a good team) and medium risk.

Definitely having a down year, but we got a top 100 prospect (#88) for Edward Mujica.

It is basically a similar thing once you remove the top 100 # down. I'm sure if they re-did those rankings now, Cox would no longer be on the list. Dominguez has been top-100 twice, himself.

Comment

Fair enough. I think Cox is going to be a much better player than Dominguez.

Time will tell, I guess.

Comment

and for the record I like the trade, same way I would liked the Lee trade if I was an Astros fan. It's good getting back a prospect who has some hope, even if they aren't doing very well. It's not like we are going to miss Mujica.

Comment

Cox went off in June (.377/.424/.574) but took a step back in July, although still better than his April or May.

I think if we're really sending him back to AA (and his injury is minor, he should be ready in a week or so), that's kinda stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                              Whatever Cox makes up in hitting, he's 1000X worse defensively than Dominguez.

That Carlos Lee trade is just absolutely awful in retrospect, but it's hard to look at things in retrospect and bitch about it.
                              The Lee trade was not awful. The Marlins were buyers and made a move to improve the 2012 ball club.

Lee coming in for Gaby was HUGH. But the rest of the team didn't turn things around. Doesn't mean the trade was awful.

Comment

Getting a former top 100 prospect in a down year for an average reliever in arbitration is awesome.

If the Marlins say "We got Zach Cox, 3b figured out" it's dumb but bringing him in is a great idea. Sign one of the many ~2 WAR IFers in the offseason to a 1 year contract and let him, Boni, and Cox figure out the IF

Comment

Working...
                                X