• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
    Jon Heyman.

He's the dirt worst.
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    too bad the #marlins didnt get pujols and wilson. might have been fun to watch them try to trade them, too. #fish #firesale

Kill him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
      Mainge, Mid-August.
      Boo. Was hoping Hanley would keep SS eligibility next year.

Comment

• As of now, this off-season they have to fill center, left and third. There are plenty of CF options available on the market. There aren't any left fielders worth signing (Delmon Young and JP are the "best") and third base is "headlined" by Mark Reynolds, Placido Polanco and Scott Rolen.

This, to me, almost guarantees that JJ gets traded. You trade JJ to Texas for Olt and Martin (or a similar package from another team.) If you don't, you have a team worse than this years and Ruggianos and Solanos playing three or four positions for you.
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
          As of now, this off-season they have to fill center, left and third. There are plenty of CF options available on the market. There aren't any left fielders worth signing (Delmon Young and JP are the "best") and third base is "headlined" by Mark Reynolds, Placido Polanco and Scott Rolen.

This to me, almost guarantees that JJ gets traded. You trade JJ to Texas for Olt and Martin (or a similar package from another team.) If you don't, you have a team worse than this years and Ruggianos and Solanos playing three or four positions for you.
          Getting a package like that might be easier with Hamels off the market.

Comment

• Regarding the OF situation, IF (huge if) Ruggiano continues to play at a high level - and obviously he's not gonna hit like he is right now, but if he can sustain big league caliber play - he's under club control through 2016. And Yelich is likely gonna be ready to go for 2014.

So, there's a chance we need 1 OF for 1 season.

I hope we let Ruggiano play every day for the rest of the season.

If we do trade Josh Johnson, I hope it's for the best possible talent we can get and not to fill some needs that may not exist.
            --------------------
            2014 on Yelich, that was a typo.
            Last edited by HUGG; 07-25-2012, 03:35 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• That need being a third baseman, right?
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I don't think there's any question that 3B is a need position now. But, assuming the Johnson trade is going to include young not necessarily ready talent, I want the best talent possible regardless of position.

You can solve the 3B problem later, in another trade if need be.
                --------------------
                I mean, if we can get Olt, that's great. But I don't want them to take a lesser deal just because it involves a 3B.
                --------------------
                And I also don't want them to trade him just because they need a 3B. There's other ways to solve that issue.
                Last edited by HUGG; 07-25-2012, 03:39 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• The Marlins swung for the fences last winter ... and struck out this summer.

Now, as they dismantle a criminally underachieving and eminently unlikeable team, what's the responsibility of owner Jeffrey Loria to the South Florida taxpayers who paid good money to construct the fancy playpen the Marlins opened this summer?

The Marlins unloaded Hanley Ramirez to the Dodgers on Tuesday night, shipped pitcher Anibal Sanchez and infielder Omar Infante to the Tigers on Monday and are still listening to offers in their latest dramatic off-loading of players.

Even after the most pricey shopping spree in club history over the winter -- some $191 million on Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell -- and hiring controversial manager Ozzie Guillen, the season landed in the dumpster nearly before it began.

Baseball sources with knowledge of the club's thinking say that the Marlins aren't so much stripping the team for financial reasons as they're rearranging lots of furniture because the pieces don't fit.

Still, you can't help but believe disappointing attendance is triggering much of this as well.

On Tuesday, the Marlins ranked 11th of 16 National League clubs in overall attendance at 1,419,894.

On a per-game basis, it was even worse. The Marlins' average attendance of 28,398 ranked 14th in the NL.

So where's the responsibility here?

Did the Marlins fail their fans by putting together a losing and unlikeable team?

Or did a lukewarm fan base that is not exactly flooding the turnstiles at Marlins Park force the issue by their apathy and cause Loria to bail early?

Either way, it's another ugly chapter in Marlins history.

Either way, it's another embarrassing situation for Major League Baseball, which with each passing year looks like it made a bigger and bigger mistake by expanding into Florida in the first place.
                    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/sc...lins-black-eye

criminally underachieving and eminently unlikeable is such a great way to describe this version of the Marlins

Also,

Baseball sources with knowledge of the club's thinking say that the Marlins aren't so much stripping the team for financial reasons as they're rearranging lots of furniture because the pieces don't fit.
                    kinda renders most of the rest of the article totally pointless

Comment

• Don't let that get in the way of concluding other stupid things throughout the rest of the article.

Comment

• I might be in the minority here but I'm not THAT disappointed with the Marlins attendance figures.

Comment

• They're averaging about what the Pirates did in their first year in a similarly sized facility. June was supposed to be the month we started seeing attendance pick up. This team did not help that at all.

90% of sportswriters don't think about these things because they would fail entry level business courses.

Comment

• In Miami, maybe more than any other city, you have to win. I think we all agree on that right?

I mean I've never even been there and I get that.

It really sucks that this org can't do anything without being accused of having some kind of malicious evil plan. I guess they've earned it, but it's annoying.
                            --------------------
                            Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
                            You can always have good baseball reasons to make a trade. But MIA have reaffirmed what every cynical South Fla. baseball fan believed.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
                            You would have thought that this year, the Marlins would have held off on the mass sell-off, as part of their rebranding effort.
                            /yawn
                            Last edited by HUGG; 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• You are correct. Miami has a very diversified entertainment market and a smaller population base than other cities with similar options.

If you're a family of four and project to drop $100 attending a Marlins game on a Sunday afternoon they better win. They could just as easily go to the beach for half that price.

Comment

• It's just incredible to me that these media types think we should have kept this losing team together to appease a fanbase that will only support a winner.

Clueless.
                                --------------------
                                3.7 earthquake in LA about 15 minutes ago

Hanley must have landed in town.
                                Last edited by HUGG; 07-25-2012, 05:51 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X