2009 Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishfan79 View Post
    is huffs 86 OPS+ really an upgrade for us?
    Also sliding Cantu back over to 3rd base where his glove plays worse then at 1st base?

Or is it just a move you want to make a move? I know Huff had a nice year last year (135 ops+) but he has been a far different player this year.
    Huff can play LF/RF and he crushes Jamie Moyer. That should be enough!

His OPS is only .719 overall but he's doing well against RHP (.269/.345/.433, an OPS+ of 117). My biggest concern would be that his Home/Away splits are massively in favor of Camden Yards.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Sub Zero View Post
      Huff can play LF/RF and he crushes Jamie Moyer. That should be enough!

His OPS is only .719 overall but he's doing well against RHP (.269/.345/.433, an OPS+ of 117). My biggest concern would be that his Home/Away splits are massively in favor of Camden Yards.
      His home/away wouldnt play very well in our park, personally I would rather see us snag Teahen if we were going to go for huff, younger wheels and i think he could play out better with his L/R splits. Of course I dont know if he is available but his 111OPS+ plays out better and he can move to the OF/3B/2B.

not sure others thoughts on him (always used to be a fan just havent posted here or elsewhere much since busy with wedding ).

Comment

Hensley injured so there goes basically our only MILB depth

Comment

One general manager of a noncontender said the Marlins called to express interest in possibly adding a hitter, and a second GM said a logical available option would be Nationals/ex-Marlins outfielder Josh Willingham (.298, 16 homers, including two grand slams Monday). Another executive mentioned Kansas City third baseman/right fielder Mark Teahen (.294, nine HR, 36 RBI). The Marlins also will consider acquiring a starting pitcher -- even more so if Andrew Miller has another bad start Wednesday at Triple A.
          Miami Herald

Comment

Teahen is intriguing.

How about Bonifacio FOR Willingham?

Comment

Willingham or Teahen would be great; either one.

Comment

One for Ramp

Florida did inquire about Josh Willingham and Washington first words were "Top Pitching prospect" for him. No clue exactly who they asked for but he said the report was "TOP"

So I would say Sean West,Alex Sanabia,Kyle Winters,Brad Hand,Graham Johnson

I say offer them Brett Sinkbeil and PJ Dean(who they sent to us as damaged goods)

But ya don't look for the Hammer back here unless they lower the price. The funniest part was some team(Giants) asked about Adam Dunn and was told ML Ready pitcher and 2 Top Prospects.

and MLB can't figure out why Washington sucks LOL

Comment

The Nationals will probably come down on their price. NO ONE is going to want to give up a top pitching prospect for a 30-year old outfielder with back problems.

Comment

Who knows? Buddy said that is why the Giants made the Garko deal. They tried to get Dunn and Washington started the discussion with young ML pitcher and not 1 but 2 Top Prospects and they moved on

Comment

Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                      Who knows? Buddy said that is why the Giants made the Garko deal. They tried to get Dunn and Washington started the discussion with young ML pitcher and not 1 but 2 Top Prospects and they moved on
                      lol that's hilarious.

Still, I would say Dunn is a bit more valuable than Hammer, and considering the Nats just signed him in the off-season, maybe they didn't want to look stupid trading him so they asked for a lot in return to avoid potential backlash?

I'm probably just grasping for straws here; I REALLY want Hammer back.

Comment

Originally posted by m26555 View Post
                        lol that's hilarious.

Still, I would say Dunn is a bit more valuable than Hammer, and considering the Nats just signed him in the off-season, maybe they didn't want to look stupid trading him so they asked for a lot in return to avoid potential backlash?

I'm probably just grasping for straws here; I REALLY want Hammer back.
                        Well everyone knew when they signed him they were gonna trade him. It's like who really thinks that after next year he is gonna stay??

Feel funny saying this but they should follow the Pittsburgh way of thinking. Trade what u can for young guys and start building. Pitt will trade Freddy Sanchez and the reason is they won't ask for a killing,they get fair value and move on. As for Sanchez-his potential suitors are San Francisco,Houston,and Minnesota. Same teams who would be interested in Uggla if he was on the market

Comment

Problem is that they don't have a real GM right now, just Mike Rizzo as an interim type deal.

As for Hammer being worth a top pitching prospect. Considering how his OPS is top 5 in baseball, can play either corner OF spot or 1B, and is reasonably cheap, a top pitching prospect makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            Problem is that they don't have a real GM right now, just Mike Rizzo as an interim type deal.

As for Hammer being worth a top pitching prospect. Considering how his OPS is top 5 in baseball, can play either corner OF spot or 1B, and is reasonably cheap, a top pitching prospect makes sense.
                            But then you take into account the fact that he is very injury-prone and isn't exactly a spring chicken, and a top pitching prospect sounds like a lot.

I wonder if something like Thompson + Gaby would get it done? Thompson has been pitching very well as of late.

Comment

That and either corner OF spot is a stretch

It's an injustice that the Nats play him in RF, watching him play the position is one of baseball's more awkward sights

Comment

Hammer's defense isn't nearly as bad as you are suggesting it is.

I don't see how a top pitching prospect is alot for what he's doing this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X