Selling Time: Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    I think the general fanbase is going to be disappointed with the upcoming off-season regardless because the FA pool is pretty weak. Barring some trade, there really isn't much that's going to make people feel like drastic improvements are going to be made.
    I think this is the minimum (assuming nothing nuts like unrealistic Hamilton/Greinke type move) the casuals/sports talk radio folks will need to see to approve of the offseason

-Michael Bourn or trade for D. Span
    -a legit # 3/200 IP - bring back Anibal, McCarthy, Lohse, Marcum, Javy Vazquez, etc. (which also helps pen as it pushes Ricky or Eovaldi to bullpen)
    -Stopgap veteran name at 3B for a year
    -Another veteran for 2B/LF to help "Ruggiano" in the other starting slot (moving Bonifacio around)

and most importantly

-Stanton 7/$85

Comment

• Well this extra cash will probably be going to Stanton

Also don't forget that we might have a Draft Pool of close to 10 million,depending where we finish the year

More than likely our moves will look like

Resign Lee
      Extend Stanton
      Try to trade JJ for ML ready guys(2B or 3B/CF/Arms)
      Try to lose Heath Bell
      Sign Vet Arm to eat innings (2 year deal)
      Sign Vet Bat(1 year)
      Last edited by tjfla; 08-27-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
        I think the general fanbase is going to be disappointed with the upcoming off-season regardless because the FA pool is pretty weak. Barring some trade, there really isn't much that's going to make people feel like drastic improvements are going to be made.
        Stanton is all the reinvestment the average fans will need, I think
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

• Also going along with the draft thing,if we get like #6 or #7 pick there is a VERY good chance the guy could be ready by end of 2014/start 2015

SP
          Mark Appel
          Ryne Stanek
          Sean Manaea
          Karsten Whitson

3B
          Kris Bryant

OF
          Austin Wilson

All of them are college guys and with 2 or 3 HS guys(Meadows,Hollon,Mercado) projected to go high,we could get atleast 1 of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omar View Post
            Stanton is all the reinvestment the average fans will need, I think
            Not sure, I still listen to a lot of my friends that are casual fans say they are waiting for the time they will trade Stanton in the future.

Comment

• Yankees DFA Brandon Laird today,I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him

Comment

• so the team we have now is going to be similar to next years team.......... cant wait for next season, really hope boston over pays for JJ

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Is a cheap, cost-efficient platoon not the same waste of time?
                  I'd rather do that than bring back a mediocre 38-year old to play every day. Especially considering the fact that we're apparently "playing for 2014," which quite frankly, I'd have no problem with at this point if done correctly.

Lee is only an every day player these days on a team like the Marlins that believes in overvaluing batting average, batting average with .RISP, and noses for RBI's. The guy is washed up.

And even if you do want to bring him back for whatever reason, I don't want to watch the Logan Morrison comedy show in LF again. If you don't care to have him (Morrison) at 1B, trade him for young pitching.

The Marlins built a spacious ballpark and apparently don't give a fuck about outfield defense yet, for some reason.

Comment

• On the general fanbase thing:

The general fanbase sucks. It's going to suck no matter what they do. If they win a whole lot, people will show up, and then the general fanbase will start to suck again. There will be more of them than in the past at games and it'll be easier for the stadium to not look hilarious, but there isn't some general fanbase just ready to become baseball fans that watch every game and really care to do anything other than complain on the radio.

Speaking of which, I imagine every angry sports radio caller is dim.

Comment

• They also are the ones that the Marlins need to spend the money and come to games. It's not to say that the Marlins to base decisions on how the public will view it but they also aren't in a good position to just not give a shit how their current decisions look to them. Next year can look just as bad as Sun Life did if they don't do anything.

Comment

• I know the Marlins need them, but no matter what they do down here, it's not going to be what they want - at least for a loooooong time. If they sign a bunch of guys everyone wants them to sign, people will talk about it at the tanning beds, not at the Marlins games. Ya know what I mean?

Like, maybe the next generation of fans will start to create a real fanbase. Maybe not.

Comment

• Plus, if they sign the people they want them to sign and then the team sucks again, they'll all just call them idiots for signing them.

Comment

• and then if they trade the people they want them to trade, they'll be firesaling and duping us all over again

Comment

• Originally posted by lilchris11 View Post
                              maybe its just me but why wait till 2014. why not put up a good team next year and then let the prospects reinforce the team on 2014 with the vets already in place. cause what happens if frenandez or yelich have setbacks of some sorts and are not ready on 2014? then we have no young players and no good vets we become the mariners
                              This year's free agent class isn't very good.

Why run the risk of overpaying someone and setting yourself back even further? I'm not going to have much of a problem with the FO if it doesn't make a big splash this offseason, because there really aren't many options out there. That is, unless they decide to gut the farm system in a major trade, and I just don't see that happening (nor do I want it to happen).

EDIT: I see MH already basically said what I said.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by tjfla View Post
                              Well this extra cash will probably be going to Stanton

Also don't forget that we might have a Draft Pool of close to 10 million,depending where we finish the year

More than likely our moves will look like

Resign Lee
                              Extend Stanton
                              Try to trade JJ for ML ready guys(2B or 3B/CF/Arms)
                              Try to lose Heath Bell
                              Sign Vet Arm to eat innings (2 year deal)
                              Sign Vet Bat(1 year)
                              See, I just don't understand why we would do this given how good Johnson has been since his rough start. I think the smart thing to do would be to make him a part of this team going forward.
                              Last edited by Valid; 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                                This year's free agent class isn't very good.

Why run the risk of overpaying someone and setting yourself back even further? I'm not going to have much of a problem with the FO if it doesn't make a big splash this offseason, because there really aren't many options out there. That is, unless they decide to gut the farm system in a major trade, and I just don't see that happening (nor do I want it to happen).

EDIT: I see MH already basically said what I said.
                                --------------------

See, I just don't understand why we would do this given how good Johnson has been since his rough start. I think the smart thing to do would be to make him a part of this team going forward.
                                2014 class is alot better but u have to put a good team next year i mean if the plan is for 2014 and fans dont come 2013 how much money do u really have to spend on 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X