Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Selling Time: Marlins Trade Deadline Discussion

Miami has won 3 of its last 5 games

They're 6 games out in the loss column of the Wild Card.

There are 2 wild card spots (I think) (this is HUGH).

There are roughly 12 games left before the deadline

2 of the 3 remaining series before the deadline are vs teams ahead of Miami in the WC "race" (Pirates and Braves). The other series is vs the Padres. If MIA can't win 2 of 3 vs the Padres in a "must win" scenario at home then oh well.

If we win 1 of the next 2 vs CHI and go 8-4 the remaining 12, YOU CAN'T BE SELLERS BOYS.

YOU GOTTA BE BALLERS AND BUY.

The Marlins will regress to the mean and get better results in Aug and September.
    Last edited by Namaste; 07-18-2012, 07:13 PM.

No, you do not buy. This team is bad. But you do not blow up the limited nucleus of talent you have just because you gave bad contracts out in the offseason.

Ideally we move Infante and Nolasco and find some kind of answer for catcher going forward. Eat salary on Buck and Bell in the offseason, sign a CF (since Bonifacio probably plays 2B with Infante gone) and make a run at it in 2013 and know that the "silly" money is a year away from coming off.

Comment

I realize you don't (and shouldn't want) to buy on 7/18/12 at 8:20 PM.

BUT, if they win 1 of the next 2 vs CHi and then go 8-4 or better the next 12, you bet your ass you think about being a buyer. Especially the first year in the new park and that vomit inducing first half.

And, I know you despise Buck, but he has been HORRIFICALLY unlucky this year has he not?

John Buck's abilities are not the reason why this team is 5.5 games out of the Wild Card spot.

Comment

Say, hypothetically, we do buy. Who do we go after? It's hard envisioning us going after any potential upgrades other than Center Field.

Comment

It's not time to sell boys yet

Comment

If they played well leading up to the deadline, I feel much stronger about not selling than I do about buying. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste View Post
              I realize you don't (and shouldn't want) to buy on 7/18/12 at 8:20 PM.

BUT, if they win 1 of the next 2 vs CHi and then go 8-4 or better the next 12, you bet your ass you think about being a buyer. Especially the first year in the new park and that vomit inducing first half.

And, I know you despise Buck, but he has been HORRIFICALLY unlucky this year has he not?

John Buck's abilities are not the reason why this team is 5.5 games out of the Wild Card spot.
              Anything that happens over the next 12 games does not substantially change the makeup of the team (within reason, anyone can get hurt, the Braves could suffer a rash of injuries, the Nationals team plane can crash, crazy shit can happen) and any "burst" winning streak is nothing more than a mirage. We've got a lot of people mired in career worst years or close to it. Sometimes teams have shit luck like that.

What the Marlins should do is identify the problem areas (to me, C, 4/5 SP, power bat) and try to tweak, especially with guys that have value at the deadline and aren't part of the long-term core.

What seems to be happening is either "buy buy buy" or "scorched Earth, motherfucker." That's silliness.

I've said it in the other thread. Move Nolasco and Infante and there's the money to get a short term power bat either through trade or on the free agency market (think a guy like Berkman or Swisher) and enough left over to give a "reclamation" SP enough cash to come here rather than take the good old minor league deal with the spring training invite that the Yankees always seem to have waiting for a guy like Colon or Garcia.

And with Buck, weren't you all doing the unnaturally lucky thing last year too? Doesn't it just get to the point that he flat out sucks? His Marlins' OPS+ is 81. He's struck out 181 in 789 PA's. He's really really bad.

Comment

Were we doing that thing with Buck?

Are you saying that the Marlins suck because the talent is bad or because the team has been horribly unlucky this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Were we doing that thing with Buck?

Are you saying that the Marlins suck because the talent is bad or because the team has been horribly unlucky this year?
                  Who me?
                  --------------------
                  Originally posted by Swifty View Post

And with Buck, weren't you all doing the unnaturally lucky thing last year too? Doesn't it just get to the point that he flat out sucks? His Marlins' OPS+ is 81. He's struck out 181 in 789 PA's. He's really really bad.
                  If your BABIP is ungodly low, isn't your OPS+ naturally going to suffer?
                  Last edited by Namaste; 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty View Post
                    No, you do not buy. This team is bad. But you do not blow up the limited nucleus of talent you have just because you gave bad contracts out in the offseason.
                    I know your response is going to be, yes of course, and I am prefacing this intentionally as not taking your comment so deliberately to be annoying like other people around here, but I think it might be a good time to buy if they get a longterm piece.

I mean, reports are Angels want a good reliever for Bourjous and Minn has hinted they might shop Span. This sounds like a good opportunity to me to flip Infante for pitching, trade out pitching for Bourjous/Span, move Bonifacio to 2B, etc, etc. Those two CF would be so great in that ballpark defensively, minimum 3.5 WAR if they hit a .725 OPS. Plus they are fast. Beinfest likes that.

That pretty much settles the lineup for 2013 besides a LF, and 2014 besides a catcher (Yelich in, no Buck, maybe Realmuto). That's pretty OK signing a $2-3 million veteran to just platoon in LF in 2013, and Ramon Hernandez whatever type to catch 90 games in 2014. Lineup is completely settled moving forward,

I say go for the CF. Might not make a difference (although it will certainly help immediately and especially when Stanton is back), but those are much cheaper options than the free agency guys, and priced against them, probably more valuable based on lower salaries moving forward.

Buy CF. Even if it takes out Choate, or Conley, or whoever. It's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
                      I know your response is going to be, yes of course, and I am prefacing this intentionally as not taking your comment so deliberately to be annoying like other people around here, but I think it might be a good time to buy if they get a longterm piece.

I mean, reports are Angels want a good reliever for Bourjous and Minn has hinted they might shop Span. This sounds like a good opportunity to me to flip Infante for pitching, trade out pitching for Bourjous/Span, move Bonifacio to 2B, etc, etc. Those two CF would be so great in that ballpark defensively, minimum 3.5 WAR if they hit a .725 OPS. Plus they are fast. Beinfest likes that.

That pretty much settles the lineup for 2013 besides a LF, and 2014 besides a catcher (Yelich in, no Buck, maybe Realmuto). That's pretty OK signing a $2-3 million veteran to just platoon in LF in 2013, and Ramon Hernandez whatever type to catch 90 games in 2014. Lineup is completely settled moving forward,

I say go for the CF. Might not make a difference (although it will certainly help immediately and especially when Stanton is back), but those are much cheaper options than the free agency guys, and priced against them, probably more valuable based on lower salaries moving forward.

Buy CF. Even if it takes out Choate, or Conley, or whoever. It's worth it.
                      I'd be fine with that plan. It's dipping into the little we have to try to "plug" a hole for this year with a rent-a-guy or going balls to the wall for someone like Quentin that I'm against.

Comment

I am for Bourjous and the Angels need pitchers. I originally thought Oviedo for him, but that's not going to happen. Maybe Choate or Mujica? Trading the latter would hurt because he is not a free agent until next off-season, but it would fill a hole for the next five years. I'm sure we could sign a Hensley type to replace Mujica in the off-season.
                        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Bad teams sell. We are bad so I'm very much for selling.

Comment

If we lose the final game of th series tommorow, burn it ALL the way to the ground.

Comment

So the difference between buying and selling = a win/loss tomorrow afternoon against the Cubs?

I think the 91 games played before tomorrow's are way more significant than the one that will be played tomorrow.

This team has proven that it is pretty bad. Best player is hurt and not returning soon.

This core has been together for years and they haven't done anything. I hope they have a firesale.

Comment

Working...
                              X