X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate that they call it a museum.

Comment

Originally posted by Party View Post
      I think the board needs to become a more inviting place for posting. We have a ton of pageviews yet our active members have remained relatively the same since 2009. The amount of things and sarcasm is going to turn people off who lurk and might consider becoming posters.
      Originally posted by Beef View Post
      Most of the things are people being playful with one another. I think that's more inviting to others than posters who beat their chest and claim exceptional scouting skills based on nothing, refuse to admit being wrong, call others out seemingly to only avoid admitting being wrong, make new and unrelated claims in conversations to avoid the discussion, etc. etc.
      I think both of these are true, but I also think this is just a hard board to come into anyway. Most of us have been here (or the other place, or the other place before that) for years on top of years. We all "know" each other and, honestly, the majority of our discussions you can basically play out in your head 2 posts after it starts. It's devolved into sarcasm and "people doing things" because how many times can the same people talk about the same thing over and over? It just kinda is what it is I think.
      --------------------
      And honestly, the Marlins are just a bad team for a site like this. How many "intelligent" diehard fans do they really have?

I really think our options are what we have now, with the occasional member coming in and fitting themselves in and keeping up, or turning into moron central that the other place is.

It's really impossible to have a huge board with tons of members and not have it suck. Because most people suck. At least we're not a Rivals board.
      Last edited by HUGG; 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I'd shoot myself in the head if this ever became "Rivals"-like

Comment

I think it's hard to get as bad as a Rivals board, but I think that's something unique to the stupidity tied into college sports fandom.

For a pretty insular community, I think we're pretty welcoming. So long as the noob isn't stupid, they're welcomed in. I'm sure a lot of people are just turned off and intimidated because we're all so close and relatively sophisticated. The "learning curve" here is pretty steep, I'd imagine.
          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I agree with Hugg, this site is what it is. I think the good thing about our website is that we're a pretty tight community that has been around for quite a long time and we like to jerk each other around, and I think that's the way most of us prefer it. I like how everyone knows who everyone is, whereas many other boards are impersonal since there's so many members that you don't know who any given poster is. I guess we could become a board full of quizzies and superficial "Clap for teh Marlins!!1" threads, but I'm not the one scaring away new members by immediately giving them shit for breaking our unspoken board etiquette or having opinions that go against the consensus.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
              I think it's hard to get as bad as a Rivals board, but I think that's something unique to the stupidity tied into college sports fandom.
              I would be shocked to find a legitimately intelligent college football board.
              poop

Comment

Yeah. But to be fair, check out realgm boards. They're pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Yeah. But to be fair, check out realgm boards. They're pretty much the same.
                  There are some pretty awesome posters on there but they usually get flooded by the 100's of shitty ones.

Comment

Not sure about the shenanigans of this thread, but I got interested in figuring out Gaby's service time and where the break even point was of getting another year of club control.

Gaby is at 2.108 days of service time right now. He's a Super2 lock with another month on the team, and I think it's pretty safe to say that will happen as they need him. Counting backwards from the last day of the year, Gaby gets to 2.171 days of service (a full year is 172 days) quite conveniently on July 1st.

Just saying. If they keep him in NOLA until July, he will be Super2 eligible and not Arb1 eligible. Procedurally kind of a big deal and a sneaky way of keeping him under control for another year longer, which could only benefit the team. Of course, he is so bad right now he'd likely be a DFA candidate, but I suspect he resumes a .265/.335/.425 minimum slash at some point which is unspectacularly useful. I think he's back quick because Coghlan stinks, but just something that crossed my mind.

Comment

• I don't think it matters Lou. He shouldn't be with the club for all his club control years even if he keeps up that slash line.

Comment

• Gaby Sanchez, bringing board members together since 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                          I think the board needs to become a more inviting place for posting. We have a ton of pageviews yet our active members have remained relatively the same since 2009. The amount of things and sarcasm is going to turn people off who lurk and might consider becoming posters.
                          I SAY THIS ALL THE TIME AND WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE!!

Tone down the "I told you so's" and start having some production conversations.
                          STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

•   Spoiler:
                            http://www.meatspin.com
                            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                            - Daft

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
                              Not sure about the shenanigans of this thread, but I got interested in figuring out Gaby's service time and where the break even point was of getting another year of club control.

Gaby is at 2.108 days of service time right now. He's a Super2 lock with another month on the team, and I think it's pretty safe to say that will happen as they need him. Counting backwards from the last day of the year, Gaby gets to 2.171 days of service (a full year is 172 days) quite conveniently on July 1st.

Just saying. If they keep him in NOLA until July, he will be Super2 eligible and not Arb1 eligible. Procedurally kind of a big deal and a sneaky way of keeping him under control for another year longer, which could only benefit the team. Of course, he is so bad right now he'd likely be a DFA candidate, but I suspect he resumes a .265/.335/.425 minimum slash at some point which is unspectacularly useful. I think he's back quick because Coghlan stinks, but just something that crossed my mind.

It was posts like this that intially attracted me to the old site (yeah I've been around). I prefer conversations which proceed along these lines, rather than "remember when i said he'd be a bust? I must be genius guru guy!" When I starting getting heavy into sabermetrics is when I began looking for a place to talk baseball, and specifically about statistics. To be honest, the mudslinging gets annoying to read through at times.
                              STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

• Originally posted by Party View Post
                                I think the board needs to become a more inviting place for posting.
                                Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
                                soflamarlins.com contains malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
                                Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.

That's way less inviting than we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X